Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 22:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 11:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

47% (01:54) correct 53% (01:02) wrong based on 131 sessions
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused
(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused
(C) like Rosa Parks and her refusal
(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing
(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 07 Jun 2013, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 184 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Rosa Parks [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 12:38
This post received
KUDOS
"Not" and "unlike" double negation incorrect.

"Not" and "unlike" double negation incorrect.

"We cannot compare "Jackie" with "her refusal".

"Like" should be followed by a noun.

Seems Correct.

IMO E.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC:Rosa Parks [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 12:45
Its between A & E,

Standard question between such as and like :

We use like whenever we need to write " similiar to " and such as to give examples .

The pizza at Pizza Parlor tastes like (similiar to ) the pizza sold at The Pizza Cafe.

He likes physical sports such as ( For e.g. ) Soccer, and Rugby.

Also we use like to compare nouns, , and such as when we compare clauses.

In this case we are comparing two individuals , hence A is better.

So the answer should be A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: SC:Rosa Parks [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 12:58
I think 2 negetives cannot come together as in A,B,C....not and unlike...
other problem is courage is a noun ...so to compare nouns we use like not as
so my answer is D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: SC:Rosa Parks [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 08:54
I don't know what do this problem..I choose D.that seem good to me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: SC:Rosa Parks [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 02:32
gmatcrook wrote:
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

If we have an option which says "like that of Rosa, who refused", then would it have been better than A....?

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: SC:Rosa Parks [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 02:34
gmatcrook wrote:

A is OA. This is an OG10 questions

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: SC:Rosa Parks [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 03:29
A for me...
B can be eliminated because of faulty comparision.. The sentence compares Jackie robinson's courage with rosa parks...
C can be eliminated for similar reasons
D seems as if Jackie robinson is refusing instead of rosa parks.. also we have tense issue here..
E can be eliminated because of "as"....
:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: SC:Rosa Parks [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 03:41
nimrod wrote:
A for me...
B can be eliminated because of faulty comparision.. The sentence compares Jackie robinson's courage with rosa parks...
D seems as if Jackie robinson is refusing instead of rosa parks.. also we have tense issue here..

No doubts about that.. My initial question was regarding doubt between like and not unlike which still stays.

If we have an option which says "like that of Rosa, who refused", then would it have been better than A....?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: SC:Rosa Parks [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 03:54
joshnsit wrote:
nimrod wrote:
A for me...

No doubts about that.. My initial question was regarding doubt between like and not unlike which still stays.

Normally, "like" can be substituted by using "similar to"..

so in this case

Jackie robinsons courage .....was similar to that of rosa parks, who refused.....

Now we have two sentences....

not unlike that of....
like that of....

since GMAT prefers concise sentences..yes, I could have gone for the latter one...!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1516 [2] , given: 247

Re: SC:Rosa Parks [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 04:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
If there is a choice between a weird clause using ‘not unlike’ but without any other flaws and another one with 'like' but with other ostensible errors, then the ‘not unlike’ version is acceptable.

Of course, if the comparison marker ‘like’ were to replace ‘not unlike’, then the replacement would certainly be for better.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 7

Re: SC:Rosa Parks [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 04:55
gmatcrook wrote:

We can start eliminating "as" form here. "AS" is used to compare clauses while "LIKE" to compare things, person (noun). So E is INCORRECT.

B & C incorrectly compares courage to Rosa Parks. This is LOGIC error.

We are left with A and D.

D is incorrect because of "for refusing"

not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama. WHO REFUSED is preferred and it simply modifies Rosa Parks

Therefore, A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: SC:Rosa Parks [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 05:00
daagh wrote:
If there is a choice between a weird clause using ‘not unlike’ but without any other flaws and another one with 'like' but with other ostensible errors, then the ‘not unlike’ version is acceptable.

Of course, if the comparison marker ‘like’ were to replace ‘not unlike’, then the replacement would certainly be for better.

I found a beautiful explanation for usage of "not unlike". It explains where "not unlike" could overpower normal and precise "like".
Check for the comments given by sunnyjohn

http://www.beatthegmat.com/jackie-robin ... 41973.html

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 543

Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 00:08
This one was really tricky GMAT usually prefers the "who clause" when referring to people so that leaves us with AB and E.

B has incorrect comparison so A and E..

Here its confusing...

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 17:16
gmatcrook wrote:

The 1st thing which comes to mind is that it is a comparison question. However the comparison is incorrect. you can't compare courage of jackie to Rosa parks. That eliminates the 1st 3 answer choices. Now D has the correct comparison,but the meaning is incorrect.
D sounds like jackie refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama. which is incorrect.
E is clear and concise. E wins.
Director
Director

Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 21:18
Bluelagoon wrote:

The 1st thing which comes to mind is that it is a comparison question. However the comparison is incorrect. you can't compare courage of jackie to Rosa parks. That eliminates the 1st 3 answer choices. Now D has the correct comparison,but the meaning is incorrect.
D sounds like jackie refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama. which is incorrect.
E is clear and concise. E wins.

The problem is the OA is A not E...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 65

Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 21:34
as is incorrect since the comparison is noun - courage. Hence OA is A

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1124 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 23:21
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
This one was really tricky GMAT usually prefers the "who clause" when referring to people so that leaves us with AB and E.

B has incorrect comparison so A and E..

Here its confusing...

We can eliminate easily B C and D because they compare the courage to the person "Rosa Parks", and we are left with:

What is the proper usage of "as"? If we want to make a comparison "as" must be followed by a verb. "as ... was" would be the correct usage to state a comparison using "as".
If you want to know more about like and as refer here : as-vs-like-correct-and-incorrect-usages-133950.html

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Director
Director

Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 23:33
But doesn't "that" indicate a clause or the usage of "that of" is different?

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1124 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 23:34
fozzzy wrote:
But doesn't "that" indicate a clause or the usage of "that of" is different?

No, here "that" is used as a pronoun.

(A) not unlike that (the courage) of Rosa Parks, who refused

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2013, 23:34