Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 18:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While many people think of genetic manipulation of food

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

While many people think of genetic manipulation of food [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 13:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:57) correct 16% (01:40) wrong based on 596 sessions
While many people think of genetic manipulation of food crops as being aimed at developing larger and larger plant varieties, some plant breeders have in fact concentrated on discovering or producing dwarf varieties, which are roughly half as tall as normal varieties.

Which of the following would, if true, most help to explain the strategy of the plant breeders referred to above?

(A) Plant varieties used as food by some are used as ornamentals by others.

(B) The wholesale prices of a given crop decrease as the supply of it increases.

(C) Crops once produced exclusively for human consumption are often now used for animal feed.

(D) Short plants are less vulnerable to strong wind and heavy rains.

(E) Nations with large industrial sectors tend to consume more processed grains.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 174 [2] , given: 9

Re: While many people think of genetic manipulation of food [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 03:00
This post received
KUDOS
betterscore wrote:
While many people think of genetic manipulation of food crops as being aimed at developing larger and larger plant varieties, some plant breeders have in fact concentrated on discovering or producing dwarf varieties, which are roughly half as tall as normal varieties.

Which of the following would, if true, most help to explain the strategy of the plant breeders referred to above?

(B) The wholesale prices of a given crop decrease as the supply of it increases.

(C) Crops once produced exclusively for human consumption are often now used for animal feed.

(E) Nations with large industrial sectors tend to consume more processed grains.

Unstated Premise of the argument: It is beneficial to produce dwarf varieties
Conclusion o the argument: "some plant breeders have in fact concentrated on discovering or producing dwarf varieties,"

Explaining this strategy is the same as strengthening the argument.

D is the answer because it directly shows the benefit of the dwarf varieties which is that of reducing the wastage. B doesn't conclusively show that dwarf varieties increase the supply of a crop.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 75

Re: While many people think of genetic manipulation of [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 14:17
out of scope;illogical

supply-costing is not under consideration

not under consideration;not mentioned that who will consume the food crop exclusively.

this strategy will ensure the proper growth without hassle and increased production.

out of scope.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 297

Kudos [?]: 457 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: While many people think of genetic manipulation of [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 16:30
Expert's post
We need an answer choice that provides a good reason for farmers growing dwarf plants. (D) does exactly this by providing a reason plant breeders would prefer dwarf varieties over normal or larger plant varieties: smaller plants are less vulnerable to something negative. In the case of (D), strong winds and heavy rains.

(B) is not saying that farmers will reap more profit by growing dwarf plants. The issue here is number, not size of crops. Thus (B) is irrelevant.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: While many people think of genetic manipulation of food [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 04:41
I nailed it but it was difficult recognizing it as a Strengthen Question..

I have a feeling that the new gen GMAT is trying to avoid making it easy for test takers to determine the type of Question ..

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 23

Re: While many people think of genetic manipulation of food [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 02:22
Sachin9 wrote:

I have a feeling that the new gen GMAT is trying to avoid making it easy for test takers to determine the type of Question ..

I fall in same trap.
I thought its Resolve the paradox question.
and looking for the answer choice which solve discrepancy level at both the ends.
So took choice as 'A'

Thriving for CHANGE

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: While many people think of genetic manipulation of food [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 20:07
Aristocrat wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

I fall in same trap.
I thought its Resolve the paradox question.
and looking for the answer choice which solve discrepancy level at both the ends.
So took choice as 'A'

Guess there's no way other than carefully reading and comprehending the entire prompt to avoid the trap..

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 29

Re: While many people think of genetic manipulation of food [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 09:20
D

To answer this question, you must find an answer choice that explains why a farmer would want to grow smaller plants. Answer choice D is the only choice that gives a reason. The other answer choices are out of scope and irreverent.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: While many people think of genetic manipulation of food [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 00:27
Yipee, got the correct answer as D.

Option A:- Does not affect the argument

Option B:- Does not affect the argument

Option C:- Does not affect the argument

Option D:- Strengthens the argument

Option E:- Does not affect the argument

Hence D.

'The best way to thank or appreciate efforts on this forum is to give Kudos.'

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 23

Re: While many people think of genetic manipulation of food [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2014, 08:39
The powerscore bible classifies this as Resolve the Paradox/Explain the discrepancy, so the MGMAT.

I was under the assumption that those two types of questions needed to touch on both ends on the topic (small and big plants), hence trap A. Can someone explain why that is not the case here and how can we only address the "short plants" and get it right?
Re: While many people think of genetic manipulation of food   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2014, 08:39