Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While market-driven competition encourages

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

While market-driven competition encourages [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 18:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:47) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
While market-driven competition encourages pharmaceutical companies to actively seek innovative new drugs, market analysts note that marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as research.

A) marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as research
B) marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as does research
C) the industry budget is accounted for twice as much by marketing than research
D) the industry budget is accounted for twice as much by marketing than by research
E) marketing new drugs is twice as expensive compared to research.

No OA given but I would like to hear people's thoughts.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 56

Re: While market-driven competition encourages [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 19:20
B
as much as is an ideal usage.... so c, d, e are out....
out of a and b, do you compare "marketing accounts" with "research" or "research does"? So I will go with B

Last edited by Amateur on 16 Nov 2013, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: While market-driven competition encourages [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 22:58
B for me.

There has to be a verb preceding research, as there is for marketing (marketing accounts for twice as much as research (accounts)!

A) marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as research. Verb before research missing.
B) marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as does research. Correct !
C) the industry budget is accounted for twice as much by marketing than research. Passive construction , and "By" missing before "research"
D) the industry budget is accounted for twice as much by marketing than by research. Passive + Twice as much....than (twice as much ...as .. is correct)
E) marketing new drugs is twice as expensive compared to research. "marketing" drugs is being compared to research. Meaning changed from original sentence; twice as expensive...compared to - Incorrect construction .
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: While market-driven competition encourages [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 05:22
I will go with B, Right Idiom is as much as so rules out C,d and E

Out of A and B as much X as Y both needs to be parallel . SO I ll go with B

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) 670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 194

Re: While market-driven competition encourages [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 02:50
I think A is much concise and better.

Lets see:
We have three times as many apples as you (have)

here verb is in ellipse.

A) marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as research (concise)

Lets look at the scope of ambiguity in above construction.

marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as marketing accounts for research (does it make sense) No.

marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as research

marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as research accounts or does
B) marketing accounts for twice as much of the industry budget as does research (safer)

I would say this question is not a very good question, A and B both are grammatically Ok.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: While market-driven competition encourages [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 12:37
I go for "A" , it is more concise .
Re: While market-driven competition encourages   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2014, 12:37