Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While preparing over last few months, I have seen a major

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
7 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 268 [7] , given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
While preparing over last few months, I have seen a major [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
While preparing over last few months, I have seen a major shift in the SC questions ( verbal segment of GMAT), and i though i must discuss the same with my fellows on gmatclub.
The change visualized is in terms of increase in meaning based questions that are encountered during actual GMAT and their relationship with modifiers.

I would go into little background :-
(1) During the 4th GMAC Test Prep Summit held last year, Dr. Larry Rudner, who is in charge of psychometrics for GMAC confirmed that there were significant changes that were made to the Sentence Correction questions that appear on the GMAT. Things like: deciding to phase out Idioms; emphasising on the meaning along with grammar and thus you will get to see two answer choices that are grammatically correct.( More on this issue is elaborated by Stacey( instructor mgmat) in her article
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... -the-gmac/ )

(2) Though the meaning has always been an integral part of the SC, however, it clearly has assumed more importance lately. A reason to celebrate for the non-natives was that the Idioms are being phased out :) ( Though Idioms with built-in parallel structure are still relevant)

(3) A number of test takers in their debrief have confirmed the phasing out of idioms and the increased importance of meaning..Test prep companies, such as e-GMAT, have given priority to meaning over grammar and brevity ( rightly so, i agree with e-GMAT).( i won't be surprised to see meaning assuming more importance in mgmat SC V edition, which will be released soon)

Now, with a heavy background :) , I come to the meat of my observation.
In my opinion, Meaning based questions mostly test modifiers, especially when the test taker is hovering above 700. I have come to this conclusion based on following assumptions:-

(1) We all know the role misplaced modifier plays in changing the intended meaning of the sentence.Remember the question on earthquake, in which some building were destroyed...OG verbal 2 Q 37..

(2) By choosing adjective rather than adverb or choosing an infinitive rather than verb-ing and vice -verse .

(3) Though the intended meaning can be changed using different connectors, however,In my opinion, the same would be more likely to be used in 600 or below level questions.

(4) A number of high verbal scorers have confirmed that they saw a number of long sentences entirely underlined. Such sentences are more likely to be meaning oriented (having more emphasis on modifiers). IMO, modifiers is relatively a difficult concept when compared with S-V, pronoun or other topics. So all likely that it will figure frequently in higher range questions.

Thus, i think the one chapter that assumes more importance than any other chapter ( including parallelism) in SC would be modifiers and all future test takers must give adequate time to this particular topic, which in my opinion will be tested very frequently above 700. There do exist two great resources on this meaning and modifier issue and i suggest all my fellows to go through these links

5-strategies-that-gmat-uses-to-distort-meaning-124296.html Payal Tandon , instructor of e-GMAT does a fantastic job in explaining how the meaning can be changed.

http://vimeo.com/34858375
mgmat instructor discusses the relation between meaning and modifier in THURSDAYS WITH RON ( though voice of lunarpower is missing :wink: )

Probably, my point will be further strengthen once og 13 is released ( likely april first week), in which i expect to see the idioms based question of og 12 getting phased out and a number of modifiers based questions added.
The views mentioned above are welcome to criticism or appreciation :) . I would be grateful if you fellows share ur views on my observation. ( Instructors opinion is always solicited :wink: )
Regards.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Increased Importance of Modifiers [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 18:04
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with most of what Rajeev mentioned above.

However, I would like to comment on one statement:

Quote:
given priority to meaning over grammar and brevity

The order should still remain GMC ie Grammar > Meaning > Concision, with the first step still being "determine what the original sentence is trying to say."

Grammar is the most important because it will help you to get down to the two meaning oriented choices, and that too in a reasonable time frame. Once you have to pick between the last two choices, you can apply meaning and concision concepts.

Besides that, I agree that Modifiers are an important concept, more so now than earlier.

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Increased Importance of Modifiers [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 22:56
But inspite of all this, remember GMAC will try and ensure the tests are representative of the question pools in the OG 12 in circulation so far. Trying to drastically increase the modifier types or overly depending on meaning questions will distort the question pool in the actual GMAT. So, I don't think GMAC will try and change too much till OG 13 is out.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 268 [1] , given: 264

Re: Increased Importance of Modifiers [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 23:09
This post received
KUDOS
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
But inspite of all this, remember GMAC will try and ensure the tests are representative of the question pools in the OG 12 in circulation so far. Trying to drastically increase the modifier types or overly depending on meaning questions will distort the question pool in the actual GMAT. So, I don't think GMAC will try and change too much till OG 13 is out.

yeah i agree,I think change in GMAT is a very gradual process, so if idioms were to be phased out, Doing so would have taken more than a year for GMAC, similarly, if modifiers were to assume more importance, then it would have started sometime back. Moreover, there are a number of 700 + question ( end part of og 12) on modifiers already existing, .

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Increased Importance of Modifiers [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 08:15
This is a great article thank you for sharing!!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 264

Re: Increased Importance of Modifiers [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 09:59
@gmatpunjabi,
Thanx for ur appreciation buddy, and wish you all the best for ur next attempt.
BTW Are you giving the CAT after june or before ?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Increased Importance of Modifiers [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 08:33
I gave the GMAT in Feb and my score dropped. I am going to probably take it after June. I need some time to GMAT detox and reassess my strategy. I am in the process of figuring out how I am going to study for the next few months. Hows your studying coming along?
Re: Increased Importance of Modifiers   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2012, 08:33