Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While recognizing that lying often facilitates social

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 51

While recognizing that lying often facilitates social [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 20:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:50) correct 27% (00:56) wrong based on 161 sessions
While recognizing that lying often facilitates social ineractions,psychiatrists are seeking to determine when they become destructive and which kinds of mental problems they can signal.

a.they become destructive and which kinds of mental problems they can signal
b.they become destructive and the mental problems that are signaled by them
c.it becomes destructive and what are the kinds of mental problems they signal
d.it becomes destructive and the mental problems that are signaled by it
e.it becomes destructive and which kinds of mental problems it can signal
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1705 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: While recognizing that lying often facilitates social [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 00:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Example 1: You find which in an IC and that IC is conjugated by a fanboy conjunction. Therefore structurally there cannot be a modified noun before the word. Second, ‘which’ is an adjective that modifies the noun, kinds, a noun that follows the interrogative pronoun rather than precedes it.
2. This is a flipped sentence of ‘Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe, which they dressed a statue of the goddess Athena with. For all practical purposes, ‘with which’ and ‘which’ mean the same thing. It may therefore be seen that, ‘which’ actually stands for the noun robe.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 51

Re: While recognizing that lying often facilitates social [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 20:49
Records from ancient Athens indicate that each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which they dressed a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus ,Athena's father and giants.

I have a doubt regarding the two questions i have posted.In both of these questions which is not modifying a noun and does not follow a noun.
Can experts shed some light on this concept.Thanks !!

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 99

Re: While recognizing that lying often facilitates social [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 21:16
dagh,
1. Can you explain me in simpler terms why in the posted question, which is not preceeded by a noun there. I am not able to understand what is a fan boy conjuction and IC in your statement..Can you explain in simple terms ..
2.Can you also explain here the pronoun it refers to what and can you help in eliminating the answer choices in the question

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: While recognizing that lying often facilitates social [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 02:59
I am not able to understand the subject for becomes. Is it lying or social ineractions. Looks like lying
can somebody explain
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 142

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 4

Re: While recognizing that lying often facilitates social [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 05:05
Hi Rrkan,

It has to be 'lying' - 'social interactions' is a plural and so would need a plural word to replace 'it' - since all 5 options have the singular 'it' then this can not be what is being tested.

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 12

Re: While recognizing that lying often facilitates social [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 16:26
saikarthikreddy wrote:
While recognizing that lying often facilitates social ineractions,psychiatrists are seeking to determine when they become destructive and which kinds of mental problems they can signal.

a.they become destructive and which kinds of mental problems they can signal
b.they become destructive and the mental problems that are signaled by them
c.it becomes destructive and what are the kinds of mental problems they signal
d.it becomes destructive and the mental problems that are signaled by it
e.it becomes destructive and which kinds of mental problems it can signal

When i read this question. i can straightforward eliminate A. What's 'they' referring too. It's social ineractions or psychiatrists. Both doesn't fit into the meaning of the sentence. Eliminate A,B and C. I eliminate D because it's in passive voice and because we have E which is written in active voice without any grammatical error. Hence i pick E.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: While recognizing that lying often facilitates social [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2014, 04:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: While recognizing that lying often facilitates social   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2014, 04:52