Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 11:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
931. While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people’s attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.
(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 14:59
i think this one way discussed many times. its between C) and E)...

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Copying [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 15:07
I would go with (C). I forgot the name of "the matching form of verb in the first part of sentense with the second part" practice that means "suggest" should be used instead of "suggesting". Does it hold good for a three or multi part sentense too? (In which case "call" should be the form of the verb instead of "calling").

Who says elephants can't dance?

VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Copying [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 17:23
Prefer E.

(A) suggesting reducing. doesnot sound good to my ear.
(B) by suggesting and still others call.... ot parallel.
(C) reduction .....for decreasing.... not approperiate idiom.
(D) suggest ....... and calling. not parallel.
(E) others suggest reducing ......., and still others are calling..... parallel.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2005, 02:34
OA/Explaination available Baner?

I still stand by my explanation (tho I still dont know the name of what-I-mentioned).

So an OA would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Who says elephants can't dance?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2005, 04:14
this is a question from OG

OA is E.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2005, 04:15
this is a question from OG

OA is E.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2005, 04:22
look at this questio from PR

Some State Department officials hope to end the border skirmish by bargaining with the new dictator, others (by proposing imposing stiff economic sanctions on the country's exports, and still others by demanding) that NATO launch a full-scale invasion.

B) by proposing the imposition of stiff economic sanctions on the country's exports, and still others demand

C) propose imposing stiff economic sanctions on the country's exports, and still others are demanding

D) are proposing the stiff imposition of economic sanctions on the country's exports, and still others are demanding

E) propose the stiff imposition of economic sanctions on the country's exports, and still others demand

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PR explanation:

The non-underlined portion establishes the form that the rest of the sentence must take: (1) the sentence is in the present tense (officials hope to end), and (2) by bargaining indicates that we're going to use "-ing" words. The key is recognizing that propose needs to agree with "hope", not bargaining. "E" is parallel & the three verbs--hope, propose, & demand--are all in the same form.

doesnt both the OA contradict each other.

i mean how can C be wrong, its very similar to E of the(computer program pirating)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2005, 20:00
How much time do u guys spend for this kind of question? It takes me 2 minitutes to get it wrong and 5 minutes to understand why I am wrong :cry:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 06:04
OA is "E". This is indeed an OG question and I don't understand how "E" can be claimed as ||....

"E"'s structure is :

some propose.....others suggest.....still others are calling

propose....suggest are ||...but how can "are calling" be || to the rest.....shudn't it be .....still others call for ...

"C" is much better option than "E" I believe....what u guys think ?

Plz explain.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 May 2005, 18:06
banerjeea_98 wrote:
UP !...can anyone explain my query above

Banerjee, frankly why i didnot like C is because of the reduction of software prices for decreasing. i liked reducing software prices to decrease more idiomatic than the above expression of B.
  [#permalink] 05 May 2005, 18:06