Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 09:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 16:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(A)
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

Disclaimer: the source is NOT Barrons :wink:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2006
Posts: 1270
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 16:10
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call


attempting... suggesting
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 634
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 16:11
^ E ^

suggest .. to & ||lism

we discussed this before ..
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 634
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Illegal copying [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 16:12
u2lover wrote:
Disclaimer: the source is NOT Barrons :wink:


:lol:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2006
Posts: 1270
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 16:14
Do you have a pointer to the post... I need to really start working my MGMAT SC .. opening the book tonight! :roll:
selene wrote:
^ E ^

suggest .. to & ||lism

we discussed this before ..
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 950
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 16:14
A looks fine for ||ism to me.

selene can you please explain why?? Thanks
_________________

I believe its yogurt!

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 634
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 16:17
haas_mba07 wrote:
Do you have a pointer to the post... I need to really start working my MGMAT SC .. opening the book tonight! :roll:
selene wrote:
^ E ^

suggest .. to & ||lism

we discussed this before ..



I also got it wrong that time, but here is the link :

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=27399&highlight=incentive+pirating
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 16:22
i skimmed through the search for this one, but didn't find it...

at least it is good to know I was not the only one who was confused and chose C... :roll:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 634
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 16:24
u2lover wrote:
i skimmed through the search for this one, but didn't find it...

at least it is good to know I was not the only one who was confused and chose C... :roll:



Yes, you are right. C is a very good tempter here :evil:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 950
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 16:25
selene wrote:
haas_mba07 wrote:
Do you have a pointer to the post... I need to really start working my MGMAT SC .. opening the book tonight! :roll:
selene wrote:
^ E ^

suggest .. to & ||lism

we discussed this before ..



I also got it wrong that time, but here is the link :

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=27399&highlight=incentive+pirating


dang!! this one spanked me real good...didn't have a clue
_________________

I believe its yogurt!

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 16:28
The OE for C is that it introduces the nonidiomatice "for decreasing", which creates some difficulty in meaning... it was mentioned in the other thread that "suggest for/to" was a problematic idiom... not sure if this helps...

OA is E indeed and question came from OG 10
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 16:44
I did a check on the usage for suggest


[i]sug·gest (sg-jst, s-jst) tr.v. sug·gest·ed, sug·gest·ing, sug·gests [/u]
1. To offer for consideration or action; propose: suggest things for children to do; suggested that we take a walk.

So surprisingly suggest ...for seems to be idiomatice as well. Unless there is anyother supporting reference to disprove..

As everyone, I also went for 'C'...

U2lover, can you please post the OE for this..

Thank you
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 17:02
Ok... here comes the OE if it is of any use:

Choice E, the best answer, uses constructions that are || to some propose: others suggest..., and still others are calling... Choices A and B immediately lose the || construction, and also produce sentence fragments, by shifting to by suggesting... and by calling... Choice B starts like choice A and then shifts back to the verb call, losing the || with the second part (by suggesting). Choices C and D correctly begin the second part of the || by using suggest. Choice C, however, introduces the nonidiomatic for decreasing, which creates some difficulty in meaning. Choice D loses || construction in the 3rd part by shifting to by calling

The only problem with C, i guess, is the idiom... so the explantion to me wasn't very helpful...
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 17:35
u2lover wrote:
Ok... here comes the OE if it is of any use:

Choice E, the best answer, uses constructions that are || to some propose: others suggest..., and still others are calling... Choices A and B immediately lose the || construction, and also produce sentence fragments, by shifting to by suggesting... and by calling... Choice B starts like choice A and then shifts back to the verb call, losing the || with the second part (by suggesting). Choices C and D correctly begin the second part of the || by using suggest. Choice C, however, introduces the nonidiomatic for decreasing, which creates some difficulty in meaning. Choice D loses || construction in the 3rd part by shifting to by calling

The only problem with C, i guess, is the idiom... so the explantion to me wasn't very helpful...


you did great job by copying or typing the whole OE. Really appreciate it..

Choice 'C' is definitely wrong
suggest the reduction of software prices for descreasing is not acceptable..
suggest the reduction of software prices to descrease is acceptable..

when a suggestion is made present participle -ING should not be used.. :!:

And also still in option 'E' I think justifies calling
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 17:47
Beyond700 wrote:
u2lover wrote:
Ok... here comes the OE if it is of any use:

Choice E, the best answer, uses constructions that are || to some propose: others suggest..., and still others are calling... Choices A and B immediately lose the || construction, and also produce sentence fragments, by shifting to by suggesting... and by calling... Choice B starts like choice A and then shifts back to the verb call, losing the || with the second part (by suggesting). Choices C and D correctly begin the second part of the || by using suggest. Choice C, however, introduces the nonidiomatic for decreasing, which creates some difficulty in meaning. Choice D loses || construction in the 3rd part by shifting to by calling

The only problem with C, i guess, is the idiom... so the explantion to me wasn't very helpful...


you did great job by copying or typing the whole OE. Really appreciate it..

Choice 'C' is definitely wrong
suggest the reduction of software prices for descreasing is not acceptable..
suggest the reduction of software prices to descrease is acceptable..

when a suggestion is made present participle -ING should not be used.. :!:

And also still in option 'E' I think justifies calling


I TYPED directly from OG 10 :pc
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 17:58
U2lover, thanks once again for the effort..

I also understand the pain in doing the same...


May be the moderators and administrators of this forum should take this into account and help us out here,if possible...Quality time can be spent in discussing or debating rather than doing this stuff
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2006, 21:03
Will go with E.
The parallel structure is some propose ……….. others suggest………. And still others calling

C is close but for decreasing is unidiomatic
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2006, 17:11
I went with E mainly because of the passive construction in C
  [#permalink] 15 Jun 2006, 17:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of lexis 8 18 Jun 2008, 01:29
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of nevergiveup 13 12 Jul 2007, 06:56
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of vshaunak@gmail.com 7 06 Jun 2007, 16:59
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of karlfurt 14 14 Mar 2006, 07:44
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of HongHu 5 10 Feb 2005, 10:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.