Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2003, 00:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (02:25) wrong based on 1 sessions
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computerprograms by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

OG says its E

i got it right by elimination, but just want to know more about this one.

Do you think parallelism is an issue with E

please explain?

thanks
praetorian
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2003, 01:28
E is the best, though--I think--not 100% parallel.

some propose..., others suggest..., and still others are calling
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2004, 09:49
Hi Praet,

Is this question from gmatplus or OG?

I was wondering A should be the correct answer.

Hereis my thinking,

If we simplify the sentence, it will become as follows:

While some propose to combat 'X' by 'A', others by 'B' and still others by 'C'.

Here A, B and C represent actions.

This looks fine to me. Here the purpose of all the three groups of people is same: "to combat X". So the parallelism should be abserved between the actions by which all the groups of people want to achieve that purpose.

In E, we are basically trying to observe parallelism between

some propose..., others suggest..., and still others are calling

First of all as both of you have mentioned, the last part does not satisfy the requirement of parallelism.

But even if we ingnore that part, if we consider it a case of parallelism, the sentece would tend to suggest the following:

While some people propose to combat X (achieving goal) by action A whereas others suggest B (an action) and still others are calling C (another action)

This version does not show that all the groups of peopl are trying to achieve the same purpose. It suggest that some people propose to combat X while others suggest something else.

If this is the question from GMATPLUS, could it be possible that the given answer could be wrong?
  [#permalink] 06 Jan 2004, 09:49