Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2009, 20:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:36) correct 58% (00:38) wrong based on 137 sessions
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

==============================================
Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who
==============================================

Director
Director
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2009, 21:59
good Q

Its C

parallelism--X proposes ..Y suggests.....Z calls..

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 03:55
C for me too.
A and B can be rejected because they begin with 'by'. It since it breaks the flow of the sentence.
E can be rejected because 'to decrease' is in incorrect tense. In the sentence 'in attempting' is in continuous tense, this should follow, so 'for decreasing' would be more appropriate. This is available only in C

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others [/u]by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling [/u]for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call

"Always....Read between the lines"

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 04:57
aknine wrote:
C for me too.
A and B can be rejected because they begin with 'by'. It since it breaks the flow of the sentence.
E can be rejected because 'to decrease' is in incorrect tense. In the sentence 'in attempting' is in continuous tense, this should follow, so 'for decreasing' would be more appropriate. This is available only in C

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others [/u]by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling [/u]for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

I think the reason of parallelism is more valid. "To decrease" and "for decrease" is not the issue here.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 20:34
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

It is between (D) or (E). I will go for D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 22:33
Thanks for correcting me on this.
After further deliberation, I think E would be the correct option.

I think '...still other are calling...' is better than '...still others by calling...'

"Always....Read between the lines"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 01:43
IMO C

EXPLANATION ABOVE IS CORRECT
parallelism--X proposes ..Y suggests.....Z calls
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 06:46
I am debating between C and D. Now that you say that C in incorrect, is D the answer? What is the OA?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 07:39
IMO E

attempting, suggesting and calling are parallel...

In C and D, suggesting the reduction is incorrect

propose attempting ....., suggest reducing .... and still others are calling
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 21:20
this is retired Gmat test question and oa is E.
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 336

Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 10:34
I feel Its C. No idea how its E :(

One Final Try.......

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 01:51
mbaMission wrote:
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling - @ INGs are wrong...
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call not parallel
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call --- 2 simultaneous INGs are wrong
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling --Not parallel
--- correct

Answer E for reasons marked in red !!!

Hope this helps.

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 13:23
Lack of parallelism:
by attempting.....parallel with by calling
IMO: (D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 13:28
can someone pls explain the OA?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: Thunderbird '15

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2011, 05:23
OG 10. Q-160. OA: E. Period. (C and D are wrong)

OE:
Choice E, the best answer, uses constructions that are parallel to some propose', others suggest. . . , and
still others are calling .... Choices A and B immediately lose the parallel construction, and also produce
sentence fragments, by shifting to by suggesting ... and by calling .... Choice B starts like choice A and then
shifts back to the verb call, losing the parallel with the second part (by suggesting). Choices C and D correctly
begin the second part of the parallel by using suggest. Choice C, however, introduces the nonidiomatic for
decreasing, which creates some difficulty in meaning. Choice D loses parallel construction in the third part by
shifting to by calling.
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2011, 10:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 27

combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 11:23
In the below OG10 question, even though I was able to identify the right answer, I had a trouble placing why the option D is incorrect? is there any preference for using verb-ing - 'reducing' - over noun - 'reduction' - OR is there a problem with 'by calling'? when exactly do we use phrases such as 'by calling'?

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people’s attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

Here is my analysis:

Rejected option A, and B due to parallelism errors, as suggest is parallel to propose. Rejected option C as 'for decreasing' does not indicate intention, and 'to decrease' is a better choice as per the context. So, finally, I am left with D & E (I in my practice went for option E as it sounded better, and was less wordy than option D, but not 100% sure)

Thanks,
Aadi
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 14:57
aadit1984 wrote:
In the below OG10 question, even though I was able to identify the right answer, I had a trouble placing why the option D is incorrect? is there any preference for using verb-ing - 'reducing' - over noun - 'reduction' - OR is there a problem with 'by calling'? when exactly do we use phrases such as 'by calling'?

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people’s attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

Here is my analysis:

Rejected option A, and B due to parallelism errors, as suggest is parallel to propose. Rejected option C as 'for decreasing' does not indicate intention, and 'to decrease' is a better choice as per the context. So, finally, I am left with D & E (I in my practice went for option E as it sounded better, and was less wordy than option D, but not 100% sure)

Thanks,
Aadi

If I'm not wrong, in option D there is not full sentence after "AND". this part has not verb " and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

Kassim
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 213

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 5

Re: combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 19:48
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The elimination for D is rooted in parallelism. The parallel structure you need to setup is: some propose...others suggest..., and still others are. In choice D you have the following: some propose...others suggest..., and still others by calling. You don't have a parallel verb setup with "others by calling" so you don't have a parallel setup and you can eliminate D. [Yes the lack of a verb here means this isn't a complete sentence]

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.31
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 22

Re: combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 20:04
aadit1984 wrote:

Here is my analysis:

Thanks,
Aadi

Hi,
This is how i approached the problem.
A and B are out due to Parallelism Error in the word suggest.
Option C is wrong for many reasons namely the word "for decreasing" does not serve the intended purpose here, ",and still others call" does not complete the sentence for the continuation of "for the prosecution"
I Felt Option D was wrong because it fails in parallelism where Attempting, reducing and calling are parallel which is clearly stated in Option E.
Re: combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2014, 20:04