Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While the owner of a condominium apartment has free and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 7

While the owner of a condominium apartment has free and [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (01:59) correct 28% (01:13) wrong based on 56 sessions
933. While the owner of a condominium apartment has free and clear title to the dwelling, owners of cooperative apartments have shares in a corporation that owns a building and leases apartments to them.
(A) While the owner of a condominium apartment has free and clear title to the dwelling,
(B) The owner of a condominium apartment has free and clear title to the dwelling, but
(C) Whereas owners of condominium apartments have free and clear title to their dwellings,
(D) An owner of a condominium apartment has free and clear title to the dwelling, whereas
(E) Condominium apartment owners have a title to their dwelling that is free and clear, while

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 7

Re: *****While the owner of a condominium apartment has free and [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
This one is quite tricky i can't find any reason to eliminate any of the options please help ....

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GRE 1: 1450 Q770 V680
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: *****While the owner of a condominium apartment has free and [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 14:32
Out of all the options I think C is the best as it compares the plural form - owners of condos to the owners of cooperative apartments. Thus, I would eliminate A, B and D.

E says - condo owners have.. whereas the non underlined part of the sentence says - owners of cooperative apartments have..
Again, C is better when compared to E.

I cannot think of anything better. What's the OA?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: *****While the owner of a condominium apartment has free and [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 20:58
While the owner of a condominium apartment has free and clear title to the dwelling,[/u] owners of cooperative apartments have shares in a corporation that owns a building and leases apartments to them.

(A) While the owner of a condominium apartment has free and clear title to the dwelling,
Incorrect: Parallelism says that "owners of cooperative apartments" should be parallel to "owners of a condominium apartment (plural compared to plural)

(B) The owner of a condominium apartment has free and clear title to the dwelling, but
Incorrect: Same parallelism problem as choice A.

(C) Whereas owners of condominium apartments have free and clear title to their dwellings,
Correct: Here, "owners of condominium apartments" is parallel to "owners of of cooperative apartments."

(D) An owner of a condominium apartment has free and clear title to the dwelling, whereas
Incorrect: Same problem as choices A and B

(E) Condominium apartment owners have a title to their dwelling that is free and clear, while[/quote]
Incorrect: There's a parallelism issue here as well. Even though there is a plural-to-plural parallelism, the structures of both clauses are different. "Condominium apartment owners" vs. "owners of cooperative apartments." It should be either "Condominium apartment owners" parallel to "cooperative apartment owners" OR "owners of condominium apartments" parallel to "owners of cooperative apartments" (which is what is shown in answer choice C).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

Re: *****While the owner of a condominium apartment has free and [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 10:24
My pick is C since other options are not as concise and clear. What is the OA?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: *****While the owner of a condominium apartment has free and [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 10:28
I also agree that C is correct...but what is the OA.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.12
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: *****While the owner of a condominium apartment has free and [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 04:41
Is plural to plural comparison for parallelism a standard rule ??
please help me with this .. I mean y is D not correct ?? Any other reason ??

Maverick%^%^

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1428 [0], given: 245

Re: *****While the owner of a condominium apartment has free and [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 05:25
Expert's post
In E, the problem is not //ism. It is altered intent. The passage says a condominium apartment has free and clear title while, E says that the dwelling is free and clear: This distortion kicks out E.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: *****While the owner of a condominium apartment has free and   [#permalink] 24 May 2012, 05:25