Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While they remove carbon dioxide from the air

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 61 [2] , given: 116

While they remove carbon dioxide from the air [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 18:29
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (01:25) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions
While they remove carbon dioxide from the air while-they-remove-carbon-dioxide-from-the-air-conserve-soil-84179.html
the investigations of many psychologists gmat the-investigations-of-many-psychologists-and-anthropologists-76305.html

Quote:
Hi
I was solving SC questions and faced certain problems. When i checked on the forum these questions have been already posted but the replies are not very satisfactory.

In order to avoid reposting, i am providing links to these questions.
Can somebody explain the answers?

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 110 [1] , given: 75

Re: While they remove || clarification needed on older posts. [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 06:18
This post received
KUDOS
87. While they remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil and water, and house thousands of species, forests also supply potentially valuable pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide employment for millions worldwide.
A. pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide
"that"is used when something very important (essential) detail has to be introduced.Here,"that"is not necessary

B. pharmaceuticals, and sources of building material and firewood, are providers of
irrelevant usage -"providers of"

C. pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood that are provide
irrelevant usage-that are "provide"

D. pharmaceuticals and as sources of building material and firewood, for providing

looks attractive because we have learnt the verb+ing modifier recently.
(Verb+ing is used after a comma, so this option is anyway ruled out)

E. pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood, provide

the confusion goes off when you read as=because;read it again.
Also, you just consider that,
forests also supply potentially valuable pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, provide employment for millions worldwide.
SUPPLY X,AND,Y structure.

Hope this works !

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 269

Kudos [?]: 375 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: While they remove || clarification needed on older posts. [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 15:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In this sentence 'forests' do two things: A and B. Therefore we need Parallel structure. To elaborate: forests also Verb1 (supply) Phrase1, and Verb2 Phrase 2. Therefore we can home in right away at the end of the underlined part, looking for a verb that matches 'supply' in tense. The only answer that works is (E), which has 'provide.'

The other twist to this sentence is there is an interrupting phrase: '..., as sources of...firewood, ...'. An interruptor should be set off by a comma at the beginning of the phrase and one at the end of the phrase. Only (A) and (E) do so, however (A) is wrong because 'that provide' is not parallel to 'supply.'

Hope that clears things up :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 61 [1] , given: 116

Re: While they remove || clarification needed on older posts. [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 09:29
This post received
KUDOS
@thevenus and Chris thanx for the explanations

if you could also explain this post (the second one) it would be great help

the-investigations-of-many-psychologists-and-anthropologists-76305.html

thnax again :)

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1062

Kudos [?]: 2538 [1] , given: 164

GMAT Tests User
Re: While they remove || clarification needed on older posts. [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 11:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi @maybeam,

The investigations of many psychologists and anthropologists support the generalization of there being little that is a significant difference in the underlying mental processes manifested by people from different cultures.

I personally feel that many of you have gotten confused in selecting the correct answer because the meaning of the sentence is not very clear. So let us first understand the meaning of the sentence. This sentence says that many psychologists and anthropologists carried out investigation and found out that there are very few aspects that are drastically different in the thought processes expressed by people belonging to different cultures.

Now that we understand the meaning, it’s time to figure out the errors in the sentence. The underlined phrase “of there being” does not clearly convey that this generalization is about something. Also this “little” itself is not a “significant difference”. There is little that is “significantly different”. Hence, this phrase has to be reworded too. Now let’s run the POE to get the correct answer.

POE:

Choice A: of there being little that is a significant difference: Incorrect for reason stated above.

Choice B: of there being little that is significantly different: Incorrect as it repeats the “of there being” issue as in Choice A.

Choice C: of little that is significantly different: Incorrect. This choice distorts the meaning of the sentence because now it says “generalization of little”. The generalization is not about little.

Choice D: that there is little that is significantly different: Correct. This choice corrects both the errors in the original sentence. What this generalization is about is absolutely clear from the “that clause”. Also, it correctly conveys that there is very little that is significantly different.

Choice E: that there is little of significant differences: Incorrect as “differences” is a countable noun and hence, we should use “few” and not “little”.

1. It is very important to understand the intended meaning of the sentence to arrive at the correct answer.
2. Use correct expressions to clearly convey the intended meaning.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Director
Director
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: While they remove carbon dioxide from the air [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 11:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: While they remove carbon dioxide from the air   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2013, 11:52