Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 10:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While they remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 48

While they remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2009, 17:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

86% (02:10) correct 14% (00:46) wrong based on 139 sessions
87. While they remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil and water, and house thousands of species, forests also supply potentially valuable pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide employment for millions worldwide.
A. pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide
B. pharmaceuticals, and sources of building material and firewood, are providers of
C. pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood that are provide
D. pharmaceuticals and as sources of building material and firewood, for providing
E. pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood, provide
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Remove Carbon Dioxide [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2009, 22:37
I would say E
kinda like "forest also SUPPLY x and (,modifier,) provide Y

Whats OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 48

Re: Remove Carbon Dioxide [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2009, 22:46
OA is E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Remove Carbon Dioxide [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 09:10
Simple and good question - after "and" .. ", as source of building .., " confused me , Then I realised it is modifier and can be ignored ...

So answer is E parallelism - supply and provide
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 20

Re: Remove Carbon Dioxide [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 09:24
87. While they remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil and water, and house thousands of species, forests also supply potentially valuable pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide employment for millions worldwide.
A. pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide - comma twice looks awkward, 'that' changes the meaning
B. pharmaceuticals, and sources of building material and firewood, are providers of - comma after pharmaceuticals is ambiguous
C. pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood that are provide - that are provide?
D. pharmaceuticals and as sources of building material and firewood, for providing - for providing?, also you need comma after 'and'
E. pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood, provide - makes most sense
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Remove Carbon Dioxide [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 15:51
+1 E

This sentence requires parallelism for the verbs: supply and provide (both have to be working verbs).

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Status: He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Remove Carbon Dioxide [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 06:23
I ,initially marked the answer as C, but later realized it should be E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: Remove Carbon Dioxide [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 08:12
forests supply and provide. So E contains this and should be the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Remove Carbon Dioxide [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 23:06
E for me too....
We cannot have comma before 'and'.... This will eliminate options A and B...
C has the incorrect usage 'that are provide'...
D is incorrect because of "for providing"... supply has to be parallel with provide...

Left with E....
:)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: While they remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 18:44

A. pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide
B. pharmaceuticals, and sources of building material and firewood, are providers of
C. pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood that are provide
D. pharmaceuticals and as sources of building material and firewood, for providing

I think this particular problem is more related with the meaning of the sentence.

Forests supplies pharmaceuticals.
and 'as sources of building material and firewood' forests provide employment for millions worldwide.

The above combination conveys the meaning clearly.

'and' creates a fragment sentence

meaning distortion

meaning distortion

parallelism, 'for providing' meaning distortion

correct

Luck is the additional surplus on the way to one's constant effort.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: While they remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil [#permalink] New post 27 May 2014, 05:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: While they remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil   [#permalink] 27 May 2014, 05:23