Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While Yorkshire has been seen as a major supplier of labor

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
While Yorkshire has been seen as a major supplier of labor [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 13:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

89% (02:04) correct 11% (01:34) wrong based on 45 sessions
While Yorkshire has been seen as a major supplier of labor for the weaving trade in the north of
England, the fact that my grandmother also lived briefly in the central part of the country suggests that
migration in two stages, in her case it involved a shift from domestic to factory work, may still have been
common in the 1870s

A. suggests that migration in two stages, in her case it involved a shift from domestic to factory work,
may still have been common in the 1870s
B. suggests that migration in two stages may still have been common in the 1870s, in her case it involved
a shift from domestic to factory work
C. suggesting how migration in two stages, in her case a shift from domestic to factory work, may still have
been common in the 1870s
D. suggests how migration in two stages may still have been common in the 1870s, her case a shift from
domestic to factory work
E. suggests that migration in two stages, in her case involving a shift from domestic to factory work, may still
have been common in the 1870s

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: While Yorkshire has been seen as a major supplier of labor [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 18:43
gmatbull wrote:
While Yorkshire has been seen as a major supplier of labor for the weaving trade in the north of
England, the fact that my grandmother also lived briefly in the central part of the country suggests that
migration in two stages, in her case it involved a shift from domestic to factory work, may still have been
common in the 1870s

A. suggests that migration in two stages, in her case it involved a shift from domestic to factory work,
B. suggests that migration in two stages may still have been common in the 1870s, in her case it involved
C. suggesting how migration in two stages, in her case a shift from domestic to factory work, may still have
been common in the 1870s
D. suggests how migration in two stages may still have been common in the 1870s, her case a shift from
domestic to factory work
E. suggests that migration in two stages, in her case involving a shift from domestic to factory work, may still

D?
IMO, the fact that my grandmother lived in the central part of the country does not suggest migration itself so I would go with C or D.
D seems better? OA?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1523 [0], given: 248

Re: While Yorkshire has been seen as a major supplier of labor [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 22:33
Expert's post
This is more about the placement of the modifier that is set off between commas regarding the grandmother’s shift in the first stage from domestic to factory work.

A. suggests that migration in two stages, in her case it involved a shift from domestic to factory work, may still have been common in the 1870s -- The modifier is itself a full-fledged IC that is ungrammatically conjugated within the sub- clause. This turns out be a run-on

B. suggests that migration in two stages may still have been common in the 1870s, in her case it involved a shift from domestic to factory work; ….. Same as in B.

C. suggesting how migration in two stages, in her case a shift from domestic to factory work, may still have been common in the 1870s. …. 1.there is no comma before suggesting. It implies that country is suggesting something. 2. The choice is a fragment without a proper verb the subject ‘the fact’.

D. suggests how migration in two stages may still have been common in the 1870s, her case a shift from domestic to factory work.----It is not clear whether ‘her case a shift from domestic to factory work, is just one stage of the migration or represents both migrations.

E. suggests that migration in two stages, in her case involving a shift from domestic to factory work, may still have been common in the 1870s --- although it is a bit wordy, still , I feel it forth-right in sticking to the original intentions. The word ,involving' signifies that there is some more stage to come, which is the intent of the original.

E to me is the choice

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

AGSM Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 31

Re: While Yorkshire has been seen as a major supplier of labor [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 09:10
A. suggests that migration in two stages, in her case it involved a shift from domestic to factory work, may still have been common in the 1870s : Incorrect. What does "it" refers to?
B. suggests that migration in two stages may still have been common in the 1870s, in her case it involved a shift from domestic to factory work : Incorrect. Her case should modify migration.
C. suggesting how migration in two stages, in her case a shift from domestic to factory work, may still have been common in the 1870s : Incorrect. suggesting incorrectly modifies country
D. suggests how migration in two stages may still have been common in the 1870s, her case a shift from domestic to factory work: Incorrect. Same reason as B
E. suggests that migration in two stages, in her case involving a shift from domestic to factory work, may still have been common in the 1870s: Correct.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: While Yorkshire has been seen as a major supplier of labor [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 00:01
I don't have any reservations for the explanations given by daagh and Vineetk.

@Jp27
What do you think- as in any objection?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Re: While Yorkshire has been seen as a major supplier of labor [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 00:45
gmatbull wrote:
common in the 1870s

been common in the 1870s
domestic to factory work

Here suggests --> subjective word
So C and D are kicked out...
E -present continuous is not needed i guess..

Between A and B.
A seems to be correct... but IMO B seems to be more parallel.
I went with B.

Guys pool ur suggestions...

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Last edited by shanmugamgsn on 21 Nov 2012, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: While Yorkshire has been seen as a major supplier of labor [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 01:23
shanmugamgsn wrote:
gmatbull wrote:
common in the 1870s

So B and D are kicked out...

Between A and B.
I went with B.

You rejected B only to accept it; seems a typo, right?

Nevertheless, what do you think "in her case involving a shift from domestic to factory work" refers to?
"involving a shift from X to Y"..what do you think this expression modifies?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Re: While Yorkshire has been seen as a major supplier of labor [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 01:47
gmatbull wrote:
shanmugamgsn wrote:
gmatbull wrote:
common in the 1870s

So B and D are kicked out...

Between A and B.
I went with B.

You rejected B only to accept it; seems a typo, right?

Nevertheless, what do you think "in her case involving a shift from domestic to factory work" refers to?
"involving a shift from X to Y"..what do you think this expression modifies?

Ya thanks Bull..
It was a typo...

in her case involving a shift from domestic to factory work

-ING modifier not preceded by a comma modifies preceding noun....

So i suppose, here in this sentence involving a shift from domestic to factory work modifies her which in turn goes to grandma

But my doubt is

common in the 1870s.

Both verbs need not be parallel here???
Also verb sequencing troubled me...

Though i'm not sure with i went with B... its just a guess :(

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: While Yorkshire has been seen as a major supplier of labor [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 11:46
Alright, I still look forward to getting more inputs.

Re: While Yorkshire has been seen as a major supplier of labor   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2012, 11:46