Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 02:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

White, Male, Midwest, What do i do next

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GPA: 2.65
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

White, Male, Midwest, What do i do next [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 14:49
Hi everyone! I'm still a few yrs out of applying but I have an uphill battle and need to get a plan underway to maximize my chances of acceptance at my targets.

1) 28 yrs old, Male, Midwest born and raised.

2) Background: Top Midwest Public: B.A. Economics 2.65 Gpa, M.A. Economics Private Catholic 3.97 Gpa, MS Accounting 3.4 Gpa
Comm. College Calc I&II 4.0 Gpa
Yes that's two M.A.'s Hopefully it helps with adcoms. I enjoy learning and I want to pursue an MBA not only for job/network reasons, but because i love to learn.
Poor Undergrad Gpa because I was not a serious student and wanted to enjoy college, if you will.

3) Work Experience: Big 4 Accounting Internship ==> Start FT in January-- Corp Tax

4) Extracurriculars: Assistant Coach for boys high school hockey & donating blood ( O- so i feel its important to donate regularly). For fun I like to read, play hockey, enjoy the sun when it's out.

5) Short/Long term goals: Post MBA i would want to stay in Chicago or Detroit doing Healthcare consulting or Strategy & Operations / finance role for F500. I'm not necessarily aiming for a fancy IB or top consulting gig, wife would kill me if i traveled > 75% of the time.
Bottom line is I like to solve problems in a team atmosphere. Working alone at my cube all day is boring.

6) Schools: I'm limiting myself because of my Mid-West preference, family life etc.
Long Shots: Kellogg, Booth
Long Shot/School I really want to go to: Ross
School I'm probably more competitive at: MSU Broad

7) I have not taken the GMAT yet and I plan on eventually applying after 2-3 years of work, preferably 2.

Things I'd like some help with:
What GMAT score do I need to be competitive...>720?
Is 2 years of Big 4 tax enough or should i apply after 3? I'd be 31 after 3 yrs of experience.
Any other school recs or things to do to improve my application package would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: White, Male, Midwest, What do i do next [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 10:53
I think you should apply now as long as you think your work experience is good. Have you advanced in your two years? If not, can you get a recommendation that speaks to your leadership potential? You're right to be concerned about age. Like it or not, schools don't like to take too many people outside of the sweet spot of 27-29. That said, you've done a lot of graduate work, so that will make up for your age. Although, you'll have to explain what the MBA will give you that your graduate degrees didn't give you. I think I get it, but you'll want to be very clear about that.

In terms of what else you can do, study for the GMAT as much as you can. It is important. 720 is a good goal, especially to offset your undergrad gpa.

One thing I would say that you can do is see if you can do something in your extracurricular that goes beyond coaching. Perhaps you can organize a fundraiser; or perhaps you can lead the team in a charitable project; or maybe you noticed a kid having trouble in school and offered to tutor/mentor. If you can make your experience stand out even more, that would be great. Although personally, I think being dedicated in a coaching role with young kids is already a great thing.
Re: White, Male, Midwest, What do i do next   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2012, 10:53