Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
The last I heard it takes at least $50K to hire the gear and a (cheap) sherpa necessary to reach base camp five on Everest. Clearly this guy has smaller hills in mind, but you get the picture.

For some reason or other alpinism is much more affordable in ex-USSR countries, I guess. And there are some quite some steep hills as well ;)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
helg wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
The last I heard it takes at least $50K to hire the gear and a (cheap) sherpa necessary to reach base camp five on Everest. Clearly this guy has smaller hills in mind, but you get the picture.

For some reason or other alpinism is much more affordable in ex-USSR countries, I guess. And there are some quite some steep hills as well ;)

Yeah, like being dropped off by a Sikorsky on top of active Kamchatka calderas for the snowboard ride of your life. Many of my Japanese (and foreign) colleagues who are sick of Hokkaido and have the spare change usually go up once or twice a season (November~May). Eastern Russian snow is awesome; unfortunately not quite commercially viable, yet.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Re: Who am I fooling? [#permalink]
helg wrote:
Here is a rough and abriged translation of a recent blog entry made by a guy from an ex-USSR country, who was admitted in Wharton this year:

Next Saturday we start climbing XXX (a 5K peak - the highest in ZZZ mountain range). From the top of it you can see a fantastic view.

Initially we planned to climb YYY (same height as Montblanc, but much tougher to climb), but first we had to delay due to the weather conditions and then to cancel, because it was to dangerous to climb it during summer months. But I think climbing XXX is a fitting alternative.

I've been preparing extensively for the past two months - running 8 km every morning and sweating out in the gym for an hour.

I exchanged letters with a Wharton professor who promised to get me in touch with some Wharton people who plan to climb Kilimanjaro in Tanzania and Cotopaxi in Equador. The professor will also be part of the team.

Well, now I am really intimidated...

That would be such a great experience.
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Re: Who am I fooling? [#permalink]
gmatclb wrote: