Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 19:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Who are the unemployed MBAs?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

Who are the unemployed MBAs? [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 23:33
This post received
KUDOS
When bad things happen to people, we all have an almost evolutionary need to create a narrative to explain why it happened, why they were at fault, and how to avoid a similar fate. A lot of time bad luck is just bad luck.

That said....

I am interested in hearing insights from people on this board (particularly those who have been to business school or are there now) about why some MBAs from top programs fail to get jobs. Given the tremendous amount of competition to get in, I am somewhat surprised that many of these top programs have unemployment rates at graduation of 10-25%. It seems particularly disturbing when I factor in the distinct possibility that an MBA program might fudge their numbers a little bit to seem more attractive. I don't know how the stats are compiled at business schools, but I do know that at law school the criteria is whether students have jobs that require law degrees. This led the University of Minnesota to simply employ their unemployed grads in the law library at minimum wage - giving them one of the best sets of employment stats in the country.

So, I guess my question is, what, if anything, are these students doing wrong? Barring events like the financial crisis, are there students putting people off with weird personalities? Do they have the lowest grades on campus? Are they incredibly ambitious and holding out for better offers? Did they get burned out on business and decide to raise families? Most critically, are they unemployed by choice (or distorted expectation) or because they genuinely do not have offers?

Would someone interested in finance at Wharton or consulting at Kellogg actually fail to get offers or would they be unemployed because they were holding out for Goldman and MBB respectively?

I would love to get thoughts on this. I feel like this is one of those issues (like the GMAT: "We accept all ranges of GMAT scores and examine applications holistically") where the relevant parties provide completely worthless information/analysis in the spirit of being politically correct.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Who are the unemployed MBAs? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 05:54
I would read "Ahead of the Curve" if I were you, the chapters he had the recruiting process were eye-opening.

If you want a job upon graduation you will find one, if you want your dream job (you must work for BCG or your life is meaningless)...that is far less likely
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Who are the unemployed MBAs? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 04:27
Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2277

Kudos [?]: 8800 [1] , given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Who are the unemployed MBAs? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 21:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I have seen some stats (I swear, they were real) that stated that most MBA grads change jobs within 1 year of graduation. So, most will change and switch for another job. Which tells me that most settle for the first/best thing and perhaps even those who find the best job/offer are a bit disappointed or get an even better one.

From my experience, I switched jobs 6 months after.... my first job was not my dream job but it helped pay the rent and student loan.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Who are the unemployed MBAs?   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2012, 21:32