Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 1

Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 07:17
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who got a C+ in a class. It was the very last grade I received in my very last semester in college: a C+ in Korean history. I was working 25 hours a week during that semester, but quite frankly that class just wasn't a priority for me.

For those of you who got a C+ (or lower) in undergrad, what is your overall GPA? Are you going to explain it in an addendum in your applications? I ended up with a 3.5 in college, which makes that C+ look all the weirder. I hesitate to draw too much attention to it, since it's just a C+ (I landed a 3.1 that semester anyway).

My blog: http://www.theapplicationist.blogspot.com/
My application status: 2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595.html#p983273

VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 07:31
One C+ (in a non quant subject) and you still came out with a 3.5 GPA. I'm trying really hard to see the issue here.

You are not the only person who has ever gotten a C+. I assure you that there are people on this forum who were estatic to get a C+ in certain classes. With all of the profiles around here that are between a 2.5-3.0, obviously you're not the only one who got a C+ in college. Plus it was ONE grade. I don't mean to be snarky but this thread just comes off really bad. It's like a person with $1 million crying, "woe is me," because he doesn't have $2 million. There are people on this forum who have MUCH bigger GPA worries to sort through than a single C+.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 08:04
How's this? I got a D my first semester and a C+ my second... although I had pretty much 4.0 after that and graduated with a 3.9+ :)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 08:08
I got 2 D+ in marketing and one more class

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 09:58
I don't think a C+ in Korean history will hurt you. BSchool isn't like law school where you might need a pristine academic track record to get in to a top school. Plus, there are many elements of the bschool application that can be used to offset a low GPA or bad semester.

I had an atrocious freshman year (even a few Fs), but ended up getting mostly As from that point on. However, I did have extenuating circumstances that first year which I'm explaining in the optional essays.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 13:21
MDF... same .. use that optional essay... nothing is unexplainable... we're people.. remember? :)

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 16:38
Got a C+ in Calculus II in my first semester at college. That semester was a wake-up call in a lot of ways and I graduated with a 3.59. I didn't use the optional essay to talk about it in my applications, since I thought my work experience, grades in other quant classes and GMAT more than addressed any potential concerns about my quant ability.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 20:14
The only relevant course in which I got C or below was in a math course. I failed it (attributed to not attending class etc.), but I turned it around when I retook it and got a B+. My first two years were basically a B-average without studying much, but I pulled my GPA up to 3.29 cumulative in the final two years with most semesters getting 3.8+ GPAs. I think that turnaround is a good story for the essays.

Overall, unless the candidate has consistently received C+ and below in quantitative courses and has a less than 650 GMAT, there shouldn't be any problems.
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 21:36
I got two Cs. I'm still bitter about both of them. But, I didn't feel the need to explain either one. For reference, one was a graduate level math class, the other was a class in my major (chemical engineering)...god i hated that class.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 5

Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 04:36
I got a D in elementary spanish 101 my second semester senior year.

I will be addressing it in the optional essays, because there IS a very legitimate reason, but if I don't provide an explanation I'm afraid the AdCom will attribute it to me just not giving a shit since I was graduating.

(I ended up having to schedule two classes for the exact same time, exact same days, in order to fill my last two requirements. Spanish is obviously very attendance and participation dependent, so I was hit pretty hard on the grade despite scoring very highly on all the tests and homeworks)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 14

Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 19:10
I got a C+ in Business Law and ended up a 3.67 GPA. It's not a big deal. Korean history sounds like a cool class. I think I would have enjoyed taking that. :)

FindIt - http://www.getfindit.com

My blog - http://www.shoescount.com

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 32

Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 10:07
I got a C in Spanish in my very first college semester. I am not planning to address it in my optional essay since I finished with a 3.6 GPA, and it was a course outside my major.

hello212, I think we're in about the same situation, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 11:01
I FAILED a class in my 1st year. I think I also got a "D" in a class, along with a number of Cs.

RF

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 16:23
C- in a GE class and C+ in a Intro Stats class during my first year. Ended up with over a 3.5 at graduation.

I'm not even going to explain them, because the upward trend in grades, I feel, make up for that horrible first year of mine.
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '14 (WL)
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V45
GPA: 3.72
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 24

Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 19:23
I got a C in an advanced accounting class. It really is an outlier, there's no other Cs (or lower) on my transcript. The professor's teaching style just did not work for me, for some reason. It wasn't his fault, as I had classmates that really liked the way he taught. It wasn't really my fault either, I just much preferred the professor I'd had for the intro accounting class and believe I would have done better if she'd taught the advanced one as well. It happens.

I ended up with a 3.72 GPA overall.
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 16:06
I worry about this as well. Curious if i shoukd retake course at extension school to prove i can get a better grade, then explain the circumstances in optional essay... Is the time and effort worth it?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson 2011

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 15:47
The C+ is irrelevant to your application, first because it was in Korean History as opposed to a quant/business class, second because your overall GPA is over 3.5 and third because your GMAT is over 750. I had a C-, C+ and C all in the same semester during undergrad and was able to explain it in the optional essay (basically I slept through undergrad). Focus on writing killer essays and you will be fine. I know it's hard not to obsess over every potential red flag, but if this is the worst thing on your record, you have nothing to worry about.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 01:09
so i have a question about lowish grades in english/writing GE classes. I have a 3.5 overall, 4.0 major, but i got fairly low grades in writing, C/C-'s and one D (retook to get a B-). I am on the fence but am wavering to not discuss this in the optional essay since my overall grades were on an upward trend over the 4 years, as well as the fact that I achieved A's in my honors essay class. also, to compound things, my gmat verbal score is <80%. I'm not sure if bringing attention to these items will just be worse for my apps.
Re: Who here has gotten a C+ or lower in undergrad?   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2011, 01:09