Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Who is uprooting their spouse with them? [#permalink]
I am ( if get admitted)..

The thing that worries me is being an international she will not be able to work, and whether 2 years will seem too long to her? ( And again, given that we will be on borrowed money, we dont expect much of traveling and all)
Given Kudos:
Thanks river. We both sat down and went through a list of schools together before I started the application process. There were certain places he absolutely would not move.. like new york city and philadelphia :-).

His industry will be affected but.. not hit too hard. So we picked spots that are major cities, minus Duke - he wanted me to apply there because he thinks that area is still up and coming and it would be okay. But I guess we shall see! I know times are tough but, hopefully in one year it will level out.

I figure, people do this all the time and somehow make it work. If I have to be a poor wife for a couple years to become a sugar mama later on than I'm willing to make that sacrifice ;-).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Speaking from experience, moving without the SO as an international is tough, but doable. However, I preferred moving by myself than having her around me not working (she would go nuts). It's a tough situation for us internationals! :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Accounting/Finance
Schools:Simon '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Luckily, my wife agreed to go wherever I want to go. (except the west coast) Hopefully I'll be dragging her to either Ithaca or Hanover in the fall. I moved to Buffalo with her for her degree so it's her turn to move somewhere for me.

She's a high school teacher so she shouldn't have too hard of a time finding a job wherever we go. She certainly doesn't have to be in a big city which is awesome. We're a little nervous, but it's a big step no matter what. I'm having a hard time thinking about moving 4 to 8 hours away let alone to another country like many of you on this board. I don't know how you international applicants do it... maybe I'm just more travel-averse than I'd like to admit.

I also feel for all of the pet owners out there. I think that just as difficult as moving with the spouse. We have a 12 year old retriever who is not going to be happy cooped up in an apartment all day now that he's gotten used to our back yard.
Given Kudos:
cereal255 wrote:
I also feel for all of the pet owners out there. I think that just as difficult as moving with the spouse. We have a 12 year old retriever who is not going to be happy cooped up in an apartment all day now that he's gotten used to our back yard.

LOL I have a 1 year old puggle, a deaf cat, and a 6 year old grumpy cat. I swear, they are like children.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Accounting/Finance
Schools:Simon '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:
LOL I have a 1 year old puggle, a deaf cat, and a 6 year old grumpy cat. I swear, they are like children.

My dog likes to pretend he's deaf when we try to get him to come inside and is always grumpy. He can hear the food getting put into his bowl pretty well though when it's time for puppy dinner.

In all seriousness though I think that it'll be tougher on him than on my wife. He's a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and they need a ton of exercise or else they go nuts and get pretty destructive, even at his advanced age. I'm just hoping he makes it to next year at this point though since he's definitely starting to show his age. His muzzle is going all grey and he has a hard time laying down sometimes.

Speaking of being like children, my wife is also going a bit baby crazy at the moment. I don't know if the dog or the baby would be harder. I'm hoping she can chill out until at least next year for the baby since I don't know how I would be able to handle a newborn right when I'm starting school again. How do all you parents deal with that added pressure?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Dont have kids but I have a classmate who had a kid a few months before starting here which I think is crazy. I have a lot of classmates who have babies and some classmates wive's are pregnant right now. Its pretty common for internationals students wive's to get pregnant when they arrive. They often cant get work visa's and if the child is born in the US it will be a citizen.

I hear its pretty common for wives to have kids timed around graduation...you are used to one salary and your wife just spent two years working to support you. Plus a lot of people graduate in their late 20s or early 30s so its that time in life for a lot of people.

I suggest you have your spouses reach out to the significant other communities at various schools to get an idea of what it will be like for them. As long as they have a vote on where you end up it shouldnt cause to many problems. Forcing them to leave everything they have to move to a place they are going to be miserable is going to cause you all sorts of problems. You are so busy with school they are going to need to have their own life or they will be miserable. Personally I think that this is a big reason why some schools have a much higher percentage of people in serious relationships at them.
GMAT Club Bot