Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Who would you ask for a recommendation?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Who would you ask for a recommendation? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 06:29
I need your help guys. I am torn between two possible recommenders. Here's the situation:

Possible recommender A is a manager who is Chinese. He was transferred to North America two years ago. I have worked closely with him on several projects since he arrived. He communicates relatively well in both speaking and writing (his writing usually has a few grammatical errors however it is comprehensible) but that is when he is talking about something technical. I worry he may not be able to articulate as well as an American could when asked to write a recommendation.

Possible recommender B is American; while not a manager, he is much more senior to me in the organization. I have worked with him on one project but we have a good relationship and work together on a committee within the company. He is not pullitzer prize winner but he communicates well in speaking and writing.

Who should I select??Who would you choose?? Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: Who would you ask for a recommendation? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 09:42
I would say go with recommender A, unless his English is egregiously bad. I faced a similar problem when putting together a college rec. I had worked in a lab in hs and my direct supervisor we from Serbia and not a native English speaker. I considered asking another person in the lab who I had worked on one small project with to write my rec but in the end decided to go with my direct supervisor who I done my most important project with because I felt like he could speak more about the quality of my work.

I feel like you should choose someone who knows you and your work to write your rec. This way they can cite specific examples to answer the questions on the apps. They probably also have more to say about your personality and work ethic than someone who doesn't know you as well. I don't think minor grammatical mistakes will take anything away from a good recommendation. The adcoms should keep in mind that not everyone asks native English speakers to write their recs. This is America after all and there are plently of very capable people are immigrants and don't speak the language perfectly. As long as his writing is understandable and there are no distracting mistakes I'd say go with someone who knows you better.
Current Student

Re: Who would you ask for a recommendation? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 14:39
11MBA wrote:
I would say go with recommender A, unless his English is egregiously bad. I faced a similar problem when putting together a college rec. I had worked in a lab in hs and my direct supervisor we from Serbia and not a native English speaker. I considered asking another person in the lab who I had worked on one small project with to write my rec but in the end decided to go with my direct supervisor who I done my most important project with because I felt like he could speak more about the quality of my work.

I feel like you should choose someone who knows you and your work to write your rec. This way they can cite specific examples to answer the questions on the apps. They probably also have more to say about your personality and work ethic than someone who doesn't know you as well. I don't think minor grammatical mistakes will take anything away from a good recommendation. The adcoms should keep in mind that not everyone asks native English speakers to write their recs. This is America after all and there are plently of very capable people are immigrants and don't speak the language perfectly. As long as his writing is understandable and there are no distracting mistakes I'd say go with someone who knows you better.

Thanks for the response. I was afraid the adcom may wonder why I asked a nonnative speaker when I am in America and should have access to many English speakers..
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Who would you ask for a recommendation? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 15:13
formerlyknownas wrote:
11MBA wrote:

Thanks for the response. I was afraid the adcom may wonder why I asked a nonnative speaker when I am in America and should have access to many English speakers..

If he's marked as your supervisor, I don't think they'll wonder. Like the previous poster said, I think you're okay as long as he communicates well enough.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Who would you ask for a recommendation? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 18:37
Can you do both? I believe most adcoms like to see a direct supervisor give a recommendation.

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
- Norman Cousins

Current Student

Re: Who would you ask for a recommendation? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 20:20
miccarlo wrote:
Can you do both? I believe most adcoms like to see a direct supervisor give a recommendation.

Yeah, my direct supervisor is already writing one. I don't report to either of these two.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Who would you ask for a recommendation? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 05:49
I would go with whichever of the two knows you better and can give a deeper, more detailed picture of you. Don't worry so much about the language, adcoms see lots of recommendations from non-native english speakers.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Cornell ($), Ross(accepted), Duke(accepted), Tuck, MIT, Columbia RD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Who would you ask for a recommendation? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 08:47
I completely agree with Jerz. Content is more important.
Re: Who would you ask for a recommendation?   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2009, 08:47