Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [4]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Why an MBA? (genuine answer pls, not essays!) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I presume you have seen this post: the-true-value-of-your-mba-v-74335.html
Not answers your question directly but relevant

Also: the-evolution-of-your-b-school-pursuit-56765.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
the value it adds
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
BB, once we take out MC, IB, PE out, the P&L gets more interesting :) Anyhow, my question is more about the non-monetary factors.

Unfortunately all the MBAers I know are still studying. The ones who graduated (from various EMBA) specified only network and network events.

I am not challenging a decision, rather trying to dig out the real, realistic reasons.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
One of the reasons a former colleague of mine (he worked as an auditor in big4) said me is: "Dude, I am working 12-14 hours a day like management consultant, but my salary is about two times lower. So what the hell?! I want to earn that f**king MBA degree and receive higher salary for the same amount of time I spent in the office!" This may be one of the real reasons, why MBA, but none will write it in his/hers application essay.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Pursue the MBA if it fills gap.

Current position -------------- GAP ------------------- Desired Position.

Desired position could be anything : salary, job profile , dream company...anything.

If some other degree can also fill and that too in easier way, do not hesitate to follow your dreams. MBA is not a tool to convert a low salary to high, but a sacred education that would yield wonderful experience and knowledge.

In my case this Gap can be filled by MBA only :)
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
- The people
- The network
-The potentially huge salary increase
- The business skills and just dealing with business all the time which transforms your mentality into one of business.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [2]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Coming from the military, a lot of people like to blow sunshine up your ass about how in demand and marketable you are, but the reality is while we have great leadership experiences at a young age, we seriously lack industry and business knowledge. That's where the MBA comes in.

A lot of companies have "Government consulting" divisions or "Junior Military Officer" rotational programs which aren't attractive to me because it pigeon-holes military officers, and quite frankly, I'm not getting out of the military with hopes of working with a bunch of other former military guys - I want to be working in the "mainstream" areas. Going to school with people from all walks of life helps with this matter and prepares someone in the military for the transistion.

The bottom line: The MBA enables me to do what I'm interested in and doesn't restrict my career opportunities to my past experience. I'm highly marketable in the government arena, but I have zero desire to do that. There are plenty of Junior Military Officer headhunters that are no better than scummy sports agents as their goal is to clearly land you the best paying job they can based on your experience so they can take their cut. The one I spoke with couldn't wrap his head around why I wanted to go into marketing even though I had an engineering background. He thought I was nuts for wanting to get an MBA to make a career switch. Needless to say, there are a lot of people who don't understand the value of an MBA.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [4]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
Potential monetary gains aside, it all boils down to the fact that I believe an MBA will help me transition into a career I'm actually passionate about. Also, as someone who was laid off during the recession, and found it hard to find a new role through my network... I knew I needed a stronger support system to help me land on my feet if I was in a similar situation down the line.

An MBA program will expose me to companies that would not bother looking at my resumes, and set me up with a network of people who have accomplished amazing things, and are willing to help me do the same...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
highwyre237 wrote:
Potential monetary gains aside, it all boils down to the fact that I believe an MBA will help me transition into a career I'm actually passionate about.

What he said. Thanks for making me look like a long-winded blowhard by cutting right to the point :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
CobraKai wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
Potential monetary gains aside, it all boils down to the fact that I believe an MBA will help me transition into a career I'm actually passionate about.

What he said. Thanks for making me look like a long-winded blowhard by cutting right to the point :)

Ha, right after you quoted me, I edited my post and made it a bit more long-winded... lol
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
There are a few main reasons for me:

:arrow: Pivot. I've been steadily gaining experience in real estate marketing. I like to think I'm pretty good at what I do. But if I stay the course eventually that'll be all I can do. I want to explore, see what else is out there and what else I can do. The MBA gives me more options.

:arrow: Learn. Not only do I not have all the answers, I'm don't even know all the questions! With an MBA I'll get to learn outside my niche and learn to solve problems that I didn't even know existed.

:arrow: Accelerate. I'm not just tuning up my resume, I'm installing a better engine. With an MBA I'll be able to move my career forward faster and accomplish more sooner. There's all this talk about how having a Bachelor's just doesn't cut it anymore. And with so many countries developing so rapidly and much faster than the USA, what guarantee do I have that I'll be competitive in 20 years? With an MBA I'll always have something valuable to bring to the table.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
My short answer was $$$$ about 4 months ago.

Now the answer has changed. The people I have met just through applying for a top MBA are inspiring. They have made me realize that I have achieved nothing and that the next 35 years of my career can go by and I can continue to achieve nothing. The MBA represents the freedom to better myself as a human being.

I have learned that maybe I can make a difference. Find something I am passionate about and help others. For me its not MC, IB, PE. Its retirement finance. The average person lacks the understanding of how pensions/401ks work and therefore do not participate. I can make a difference by becoming a leader in the industry and educating the common person to comprehend the basics. Move away from dependence on social security and such. Leadership skills I currently lack but can gain through an MBA can better position me to achieve.

Anyway, its all a pipe dream. But I have already learned that I dont know what I can achieve or how good I can be if I dont try. If I dont fail. All of the failure essays made me realize I dont take enough risks, because I havent really failed big enough.

The MBA process offers these little life-learning experiences along the way. They are priceless to me. That's why I am amped to go. That's my answer from outside of MC, IB, PE perspective.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.29
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
For me it's simple and straight forward.
I wanted to be a Product manager in Mobile Technology domain. My current education and current experience stream can get me my desired role [but takes several years]. An MBA would put me in that role in 2 years time ! ...... #accelerate
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GRE 1: Q740 V640
GPA: 3.7
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
It was money a few years ago. Since then I have done very well and earn more than the average graduate of any of the top tier MBA programs. Why on earth would anyone want to work their butt off, go into debt, and lose two years income to make less money? Because, those graduates have choices and I am pigeonholed. Currently, I have to work 80 hours per week and travel 5 days per week to earn a comfortable living, but I would have my income slashed significantly if I were to find something I could do 40 hours per week with minimal travel. An MBA allows me to develop a skill set to earn roughly $100k/ year with a 40 hour work week. Sounds like heaven :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBAs have a promising future as their income structure from the preliminary level in their profession is far higher than normal Masters Students. Reaching management positions becomes smooth with an MBA degree in your resume.
With an MBA, a student's scope of networking enhances.
MBA graduates can find jobs in banks, insurance companies, security firms and various financial organisations. Some of the top companies that offer jobs in this domain are Barclays, RBS, Nomura, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs etc. As far as the banks concerned, jobs are available in both public and private sector banks.
There are many universities and institute in India that offer MBA but there is one university that is wroth mentioning and that is Lovely Professional University.
LPU is known for its MBA. LPU provides quality education, with great scholarship programs plus holistic learning opportunities.
Mittal School of Business is among the first 10 institutions in India to get ACBSP (USA) accreditation, Mittal school of Business ranked among the top 40 Management institution in India, as per NIRF ranking 2021.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The key to maximum impact when you answer this question is to make it highly specific to both your background (work experience) and future goals along with aligning it specifically to the program you're applying for and its areas of strength. Take a deep dive into your past experience and identify critical areas of leadership exposure and potential. Talk about how you've developed them to some degree but why this particular program will hone them in a way that sets you precisely on the path to your next career goal -- which you will also lay out specifically in another essay answer.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
All excellent answers, and honestly, this is a question each MBA applicant should begin with.

Adding this article as a further perspective to this list.
GMAT Club Bot