Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why can't I go beyond the GMAT beast?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Why can't I go beyond the GMAT beast? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 05:53
Hi,

I am 29 yrs old married male with 6 years of experience in EDA domain.
The problem with me is that I am really not able to focus for more than 2 hours a day and on weekends I have to try very hard to read anything related to GMAT.
I think the reason could be my previous experience with the GMAT, as I had given real GMAT twice 3 years ago but was not successful in getting 600+ score even after rigorous study (highest score was 490).

I am scared that whatever I will do to prepare for GMAT, will go in vain when I sit in real exam environment. I study in bits and pieces, and I know that this is not enough to get good score. Could someone from here tell me how to make good GMAT study plan?

I know my weaknesses---- By qualification I am an engineer but I am not good in maths and being a non-native speaker of English language it's difficult to score well in verbal as well.
I had taken private tutoring in the past, but I could not see any results out of it.

Please guide me how to shoo away the procrastination regarding GMAT and my fear about the fact I will again fail in GMAT.

Hope to get some answers.................
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 70

Reviews Badge
Re: Why can't I go beyond the GMAT beast? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 08:23
Rather than a private tutor - have you considered a structured class? Even online ones, which are a bit more affordable. It's possible that you're just not studying the right way. A class will put you on a regimen which is a great way to start. Once you've finished the class, you'll be better equipped to attack the GMAT head on and you can start taking CATs and trying to narrow down your weaknesses so you can focus on those.

If you're in no rush to take the test, 2 hours a day should be sufficient. I wouldn't advise taking it in a month or two if you're only able to devote that amount (and none on weekends) but you should take a course and see where you are from there. A lot of them offer score guarantees now (provided you do all the associated work, which will keep you busy but also ensure you hit EVERY topic!) so the guarantee will help put your mind at ease with that investment.

Good luck!

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1091

Kudos [?]: 4892 [0], given: 163

Re: Why can't I go beyond the GMAT beast? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 21:02
Expert's post
musicnlyrx wrote:
Hi,

I am 29 yrs old married male with 6 years of experience in EDA domain.
The problem with me is that I am really not able to focus for more than 2 hours a day and on weekends I have to try very hard to read anything related to GMAT.
I think the reason could be my previous experience with the GMAT, as I had given real GMAT twice 3 years ago but was not successful in getting 600+ score even after rigorous study (highest score was 490).

I am scared that whatever I will do to prepare for GMAT, will go in vain when I sit in real exam environment. I study in bits and pieces, and I know that this is not enough to get good score. Could someone from here tell me how to make good GMAT study plan?

I know my weaknesses---- By qualification I am an engineer but I am not good in maths and being a non-native speaker of English language it's difficult to score well in verbal as well.
I had taken private tutoring in the past, but I could not see any results out of it.

Please guide me how to shoo away the procrastination regarding GMAT and my fear about the fact I will again fail in GMAT.

Hope to get some answers.................

People routinely improve their scores from 500 to 650. Is there any particular reason you feel you won't be able to do that? It is normal to feel disillusioned by something that is not working out for you. But if you must get that score, you need to start working seriously. Once you put your mind to it, you will start seeing improvement. Once you start seeing improvement, you will automatically feel more inclined to work hard.
I agree with RyanCJW. You are a perfect candidate for a classroom course. You are currently at 500 so you know how to handle basic operations - you will need those in class. The instructor will discuss the concepts in detail with examples to help you internalize them. There will be other students in the same boat so you can discuss your problems with each other and abuse SC and DS together (it helps to know others feel the same). Also, studying together and bouncing ideas off each other gives a lot of motivation.
I think a classroom will take care of all the GMAT related blocks you are facing.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Why can't I go beyond the GMAT beast?   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2013, 21:02