Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q39 V34
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Why did my overall score go down if I got more questions right? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi bbednar,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. As such, you shouldn't be spending time trying to figure it all out. You'd be better served working on building up your skills.

A far more useful gauge would be to review each CAT and determine how many questions you SHOULD have gotten correct, but didn't (due to a silly/little mistake). Those mistakes are the things that you have to fix to score at a higher level.

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What is your score goal?
3) How did you score on these 2 CATs overall?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Why did my overall score go down if I got more questions right? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi bbednar,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. As such, you shouldn't be spending time trying to figure it all out. You'd be better served working on building up your skills.

A far more useful gauge would be to review each CAT and determine how many questions you SHOULD have gotten correct, but didn't (due to a silly/little mistake). Those mistakes are the things that you have to fix to score at a higher level.

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What is your score goal?
3) How did you score on these 2 CATs overall?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

Rich

thanks for the advice

1) i've been studying for about 1 month
2) My score goal is between a 600 and a 630
3) my first score on the CAT was a 510, my 2nd was a 540 (I got a 420 on my first practice test a month ago but it was not a CAT )
4) I am planning on taking the gmat in about 1 more month (unless my practice scores still are no where near where I want them, then I will wait longer)

I also seem to be backwards from most people lol from what i've seen on here it looks like most people do better in the Quant section than the verbal, where I have had the opposite experience so far. my 540 was V36 and Q28. Would it be wise to try and spend more time getting my Verbal score into the the 40's since that seems to be a strength? or should I take a more balanced approach?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Why did my overall score go down if I got more questions right? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi bbednar,

Your score goal is reasonable, given the timeline that you've set for yourself. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their studies before they hit their 'peak' scores though, so you might end up needing some extra study time (but you can decide whether to push back your Test Date or not once you've taken another CAT or two).

Given the Scaled Scores that came with your 540, you have a much greater opportunity to pick up points in the Quant section than in the Verbal section (with a V36, you don't have a big 'weak spot' in Verbal, so your missing points in that section are more 'nitpick-y' and would require a bit more effort to find and earn back).

What practice resources have you used so far?
Do you have a pacing problem in the Quant section (and do you have to rush just to finish it?)?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi bbednar,

Your score goal is reasonable, given the timeline that you've set for yourself. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their studies before they hit their 'peak' scores though, so you might end up needing some extra study time (but you can decide whether to push back your Test Date or not once you've taken another CAT or two).

Given the Scaled Scores that came with your 540, you have a much greater opportunity to pick up points in the Quant section than in the Verbal section (with a V36, you don't have a big 'weak spot' in Verbal, so your missing points in that section are more 'nitpick-y' and would require a bit more effort to find and earn back).

What practice resources have you used so far?
Do you have a pacing problem in the Quant section (and do you have to rush just to finish it?)?

Rich

Ok thanks for your advice. No i usually finish the quant with a few minutes to spare, and I usually finish the verbal with between 10 and 15 minutes left, which is concerning... I have been taking a self guided course with the princeton review up to this point.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi bbednar,

Finishing early in either the Quant or Verbal sections is usually NOT a good thing - it implies that you rushed through certain prompts and likely made little mistakes (that you probably could have avoided if you had spent a little more time on your note-taking and work).

If you just took your 2nd CAT, then I suggest that you study as you choose for the next week and then take another FULL-LENGTH CAT. Once you have that score result, you should report back here. Based on those scores, we'll be able to talk through what you'll have to work on in the final few weeks before your Test Date.

Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
bbednar wrote:
I just did a 2nd practice test with princeton review. In the quantitative section last time I took the test, it said I answered 19/37 questions correctly, for a score of 30. This time it said I answered 22/37 questions correctly for a score of 28.

Why did my overall score go down if I got more questions right?

Hey bbednar

We can't comment for other tests but do note that no test prep company's algorithm will exactly match the real thing. The best we can do is get close.

You can always take a free GMAT PILL practice test here complete with detailed performance and timing analytics: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

In terms of our scoring, many of our students report scores that are +/- 30 points from their actual GMAT test and so are a relatively good indicator of their performance. That said, no practice test can perfectly replicate the actual score algorithm, but this is quite close.

GMAT Club Bot