Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why do u really want ur MBA>?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 5

Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 23:20
cereal255 wrote:
1) Not be bored in my job every single day. Not that I was expecting glamour and excitement in accounting but still... a challenge every once in a while would be nice. I'm operating so far below my potential and it's aggravating to be told that there's nothing else to be done when I'm begging for more challenging assignments.

This.

http://bent.tw

Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 04:36
I feel suffocated at my job, I witness bad leadership decisions taken by management on a daily basis and all this just further incentivises my leaving to do something more meaningful and impactful. An MBA is a great platform to get there.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 78515

CAT Tests
Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 05:42
nj24 wrote:
I feel suffocated at my job, I witness bad leadership decisions taken by management on a daily basis and all this just further incentivises my leaving to do something more meaningful and impactful. An MBA is a great platform to get there.

This is a great point - I see such bad decisions being made daily by my managers, and projects either failing or struggling to stay afloat... disgruntled team members, etc. etc. I'd rather get the education to support my career in management rather than just continuing up the chain without being prepared to be as effective as I can be.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 05:50
I want a job with more responsibility and more diverse tasks. And, I don't want to spend 20 years in a single area in order to become an expert at it. I'm too much of a generalist at heart.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 06:29
I agree with a lot of what cereal255 said but for me, it really boils down to two main points:

1) To get a better job. One where I like what I do, like the company where I work, do challenging and different things. I'm bored and frustrated right now - it's mindless, easy work where I'm not learning anything new but am working crazy hours doing what feels like 'busy work'.

2) To get a different experience than I had in undergrad. I'm a different person now than 6 years ago when I started UG, I think I'd enjoy school more and get more out of the experience (academically and socially) than I did then.

cheers,
ac.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 06:41
I actually like my job and I enjoy working for the owners of my company....my reasons:

1. I don't respect my "peers" at work and I think an MBA would put me in a class I respect
2. A good education will feed my ego or at least help put my quest for higher education to rest for a little while (I hope)
3. Not all about the money but I think it will provide me with a foundation to provide my familiy (future family) a good life--one where I can actually be home more than a few hours a day.

I'm also quite certain that many of us will come out of bschool working for bosses we don't respect, with peers we don't respect, and in jobs that bore the hell out of us...If the economy doesn't pick up, we'll be taking any job that's hiring and that doesn't provide much room for job selection.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 11:42
nj24 wrote:

I really agree with this, it feels so bad when u withness bad decisions at work but dont have power to do anything about it

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 08:42
I'm actually going to B-school to save the world. Or at least make it a better place.

Is all this talk about getting chicks by obtaining your MBA facetious? It must be. Women don't do business - everyone knows that. Now non-profits... that's where the ladies are at. Woot woot!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 08:45
I am going to get my MBA so i can write a book about that program and get paid huge royalties from book publisher...just like Ahead of Curve...I need a title for my book).

Hence, I am not applying to HBS...someone already wrote about it. LOL :wink:

Of course I am joking....maybe not...depends on job market in 2011.....might actually have a need to write a book

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 09:50
msday wrote:
I want a job with more responsibility and more diverse tasks. And, I don't want to spend 20 years in a single area in order to become an expert at it. I'm too much of a generalist at heart.

Totally agree with this. I don't think I'm a "lifer", at least not at my current company.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 01:52
One of the reason i want an MBA degree is of course for money(it is de facto), the important thing is how you spend the money? Spending it for a cause other than filling your wardrobe.

It is the thrill of embarking on a course that will open a myriad of opportunities to you and in my case an opportunity to decide what I want to do rather than my family or my peers setting a course for me, this also comes with the added benefit of meeting and knowing people from various background (I love meeting people esp. women who are single).
Current Student
Schools: HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 03:09
money
career
new friends?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 06:39
1. Get out of what I was doing before
2. Reduce growth opportunity variance
3. More money, minimized catastrophic risk.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 07:06
For me it's about the money and the future employment prospects. I'll get the opportunity to be exposed to banks offering some serious cash, opportunity that I didn't necessarily have before. So it's about doing the same job as before but for more cash.

There is also the opportunities I get in terms of employment later. Working for a top bank will give me great exposure to good jobs.

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Re: Why do u really want ur MBA>?   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2008, 07:06