Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 18:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why do YOU hate the Gmat?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

What Do You Hate About GMAT?

• 5% [6]
  • 20% [24]
  • 0% [1]
  • 6% [8]
  • 28% [34]
  • 15% [18]
  • 1% [2]
  • 5% [7]
  • 16% [20]
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 329

Kudos [?]: 1336 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Why do YOU hate the Gmat? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 11:24
Honestly it's just a way of gauging people from different backgrounds against each other. What other metric can schools possibly employ? Actual business school material based tests? Youre automatically putting like half the people applying to business school at a disadvantage. And as you rightly said, the GMAT math and even verbal is literally alien to the curriculum and most people, irrespective of their backgrounds, can pick it up with proper studying tools and methods. Case closed :)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why do YOU hate the Gmat? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 11:43
This is a very broad-ended question that can be easily countered.
Supporting GMAT in a post that asks "Why do YOU HATE the GMAT?" is a great way of attracting attention.

But without knowing the purpose of GMAT, shooting the GMAT down is a biased approach.
Academic Purpose of GMAT - "Are you equipped to handle the curriculum of B-schools ?"
YES - There are people who can handle the curriculum because of their passion, but that is the minority. For the majority, it is "Survival of the Fittest". So B-Schools logically use GMAT to determine the fitness level to their course.

If someone is saying they HATE GMAT - I would counter asking - "Propose a new style, create a new business plan and prove that it serves the purpose better than the existing one." Logically, hating will make sense only after getting these data points :P Otherwise it is just our personal whims and fancies that do not make sense and change over time with experiences !!!

Labor cost for typing this post >= Labor cost for pushing the Kudos Button
kudos-what-are-they-and-why-we-have-them-94812.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Broad (S)
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 36

Re: Why do YOU hate the Gmat? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2011, 20:21
I am smart. Smart smart smart.

I took the GMAT. It said I am not. Not not not.

Can I get an MBA?

I guess not not not.

J/K :lol:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why do YOU hate the Gmat? [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 00:08
I don't mind it right now. It's been a great refresher on math/verbal topics that I will need to use in getting my MBA.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-10-2012
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Why do YOU hate the Gmat? [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2012, 01:41
heyholetsgo wrote:
I thought it might be a good idea to have a topic where people can bitch about the GMAT. You know, just tell us why you HATE this damn test so much. I think this might help some frustrated people out there to cope with the anger instead of throwing the laptop out of the window.

Personally, I hate the GMAT because it doesn't test anything of real importance and whatever it tries to determine (intelligence?), it does a terrible job doing it! It is a joke that after years of education, hundreds of grades you received in school and college and many letter of recommendations from professors and employers it all comes down to a 4 hour GMAT session. Random knowledge such as “0 is an integer” or some stupid and inconsistent GMAT grammar rules determine your future and I wonder how schools could possibly use this test to evaluate people? We might as well be tested in a spelling bee or some other silly competition such as learning the last 1000 digits of pi…. Seriously, the time preparing for the GMAT is a waste and killing my private life (well that and work, haha). In the end it all comes down if you study your ass off and if your are lucky enough to have a good test day. The only people benefiting from the GMAT are the ones in the test prep industry and the few natural, good standardized test takers.
I feel better know, you should give it a try…

100% agree with you. I also think that this test is killing my time.
I am working as a software engineer. Also programming iPhone apps part-time but I feel so stupid when I try to score a 600 at this test. I am currently learning with MGMAT and I get more and more confident with it, but the verbal section can screw the sh*t out of me.
It has nothing to do if you are eligible for a MBA or not.
I can go for a PhD easier than for an MBA but I don't want to do a PhD.
Re: Why do YOU hate the Gmat?   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2012, 01:41