Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why don't all the schools accept self-reported transcripts?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Why don't all the schools accept self-reported transcripts? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 07:01
I see that Harvard, and Stanford accepts self-reported transcripts. I don't understand why some other schools won't accept transcripts like that. Some of us have to travel to different cities a couple of times just to get transcripts. Not that I am averse to doing that. But why don't all schools provide this option to applicants. I am sure, none of us would love to spend hundreds of hours writing these essays, reporting wrong grades.

Is it concern for customers (here students) that separates good from great?
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 07:13
Arranging for the transcripts was one of the easier parts of my application. I would tend to think that your former institutions are to blame if this is causing you a headache.

It would be brilliant if all schools only required unofficial GMAT scores. Then you'd only have to pay to send the scores to the school you enroll at, rather than the 4 - 10 schools you apply to.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 09:00
Well, arranging for transcripts for an international student is a complicated task. So I understand what aurobindo is saying.I guess half the students/alumni from my school end up asking for a transcript at one point. Even then the process is far from streamlined. Imagine how the process would be for schools for which sending transcripts is something unusual.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 10:12
Yeah, the schools within the US are well-equipped to send transcripts along. UCLA has a standard for that you turn in to them and they forward the transcript along to the school(s) you designate. Michigan actually has an online process that was very simple. That sucks if you actually have to go to your school to pick up your transcript. International students also have to get some kind of official translation and verification from their consulate right?

From what I recall, UCLA and Duke require official transcripts before rendering a decision, while most of the other top schools accept a self-reported version of a copy.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 13:02
I had emailed offices of Ross, Duke, Chicago, darden, and cornell.
All said that for application purposes, self reported transcripts can work.
And more importantly - they regargded original marksheets as transcripts too , Guess all foreign nationals carry all their marksheets. ...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 13:41
gmat_march wrote:
And more importantly - they regargded original marksheets as transcripts too , Guess all foreign nationals carry all their marksheets. ...

Yes you are right. Chicago accepts self reported transcripts!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 01:08
pelihu wrote:
Yeah, the schools within the US are well-equipped to send transcripts along. UCLA has a standard for that you turn in to them and they forward the transcript along to the school(s) you designate. Michigan actually has an online process that was very simple. That sucks if you actually have to go to your school to pick up your transcript. International students also have to get some kind of official translation and verification from their consulate right?

From what I recall, UCLA and Duke require official transcripts before rendering a decision, while most of the other top schools accept a self-reported version of a copy.

Yes. I heard of this in India. But I am not sure at what stage we need to go to consulate. Trying to explore that. And you know how efficiently consulates work.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 01:17
gmat_march wrote:

Yes. We have mark sheets. Here in India, transcripts means we need to take a photocopy of each mark sheet, go to examination branch at university, and submit those. And then we are asked to come back after a couple of weeks. We have to go there, and collect them. And some times those photocopies are not signed in time. We have to chase the current exam in-charge and get his autograph. I had to face this problem a few years back.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 09:08
aurobindo wrote:
Yes. We have mark sheets. Here in India, transcripts means we need to take a photocopy of each mark sheet, go to examination branch at university, and submit those. And then we are asked to come back after a couple of weeks. We have to go there, and collect them. And some times those photocopies are not signed in time. We have to chase the current exam in-charge and get his autograph. I had to face this problem a few years back.

Wow .. that's tough ! All the best dude !
  [#permalink] 05 Aug 2007, 09:08