Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:34

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why is now the best time for you to join our program?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 20:20
How much space do you guys dedicate in your goals essay to answering this part of the question? What are some appropriate and inappropriate responses for this?

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 21:52
terp06 wrote:
How much space do you guys dedicate in your goals essay to answering this part of the question? What are some appropriate and inappropriate responses for this?

I'm working on this exact question right now and I am struggling to answer it succinctly. My long-term goal is to enter the pharmaceutical industry as a sustainability oriented general manager. I demostrate the depth in which I understand the pharmaceutical manufacturing process through a description of my work experience. Then I state that the time is right for an MBA because I need to develop my "hard" business skills in order to effectively lead an organization. It just sound so generic. I feel like I'm just feeding the adcoms a bunch of cardboard...

Length-wise, I'm going to end up devoting about 30-35% of my essay on this topic. I'm working on Michigan essay #1, BTW.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 21:56
I guess what I was getting at is the specific question related to timeline.

i.e. I take it that it's not proper to mention that you've hit a ceiling at work and don't have any further to go up without an MBA - which is the real reason why most of us apply.

Or, if you're a career switcher, what are some appropriate reasons for why right now is the correct time for you to switch careers? The reality is that I'm young and I still have the energy to put in investment banking hours. I take it that once again that is not a politically correct response.

Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 22:25
for a career switcher like me, theres no reason to delay~

I'll talk about my long/short term goals (and link them, provide the motivation behind them, etc) then I think the 'now' question naturally answers itself.

I dunno, I'm interested in hearing what others have to say as well
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 04:22
I've just dedicated about 2-3 sentences to it. I feel my "Why MBA" is very strong so I just needed to provide a little justification on why now versus 2 years from now. My main reason why now is because I changed functions/careers a year ago and I want to be able to provide relevant examples from experience from both jobs. If I waited, my experiences would be heavily weighted to my current function. Also, I know that I'm ready to take the next step in my career and an MBA is a vital part of that.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 04:34
so far (this may change) I've dedicated 2-3 sentences to this in my essays. I use it to transition from what I've been doing now to what my short/long goals are. So it becomes something like: "I've been able to do xyz, now I need to learn abc and so I need an MBA".
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 05:00
I struggled with this part. How many of us have reasons for pursuing an MBA that, realistically, can't wait another year? Very few, I would say. I finally opted for the, "I am finishing abc and xyz responsbilities in August (almost there!) and will then reach a natural break in my career; pursuing an MBA now will help me reach so and so goal." I didn't seem all that solid, but I doubt many other people had solid answers, either.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 05:04
I wonder also whether they have more or less preset work ex bands for people of different demographics. If you are a finance guy, two years of Ibanking is probably not going to cut it. Why would they take you when they have a host of people with two years of Ibanking and 2-3 years of PE on top of that? That would be a natural break in your career that the adcom is familiar with, so you probably don't need a great reason for applying to b-school -- they already know why you are applying. I think they are inclined to make you wait and reapply if you apply too soon despite any reason you may be able to come up with. The adcoms say they want a mix, but it seems like the profiles of people who are admitted are fairly homogenous (with the exception of a few wild cards).
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 05:23
I think a few sentences is enough to cover this. It will look contrived the more effort you put into this part. The why now doesn't mean why not next year, of course most people could apply next year and be okay. However if you feel your at the point that you got the most out of your current position in terms of experience, and in order to get to that next level, or get fasttracked up, you need an MBA then the Why now makes sense.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 05:47
I really want to return to the Detroit, MI area after my MBA, work in a management consulting role, and help contribute to the revitalization of the area.

Hard to believe that the area may eventually recover, but I love Michigan, so I am hopeful and want to contribute. I set the urgency in my essays that the area is slowly getting worse and I feel to make a difference, I need to be back in Michigan as soon as I can.

Not an amazing reason perhaps, but it fits with my goals of helping the area in whatever capacity I can.

~Sam
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 05:55
sam77sam7 wrote:
I really want to return to the Detroit, MI area after my MBA, work in a management consulting role, and help contribute to the revitalization of the area.

Hard to believe that the area may eventually recover, but I love Michigan, so I am hopeful and want to contribute. I set the urgency in my essays that the area is slowly getting worse and I feel to make a difference, I need to be back in Michigan as soon as I can.

Not an amazing reason perhaps, but it fits with my goals of helping the area in whatever capacity I can.

~Sam

I'm probably not a good judge of what's a good answer, but this definitely sounds unique, so you've got that going for you.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 06:09
sudden wrote:
I struggled with this part. How many of us have reasons for pursuing an MBA that, realistically, can't wait another year? Very few, I would say. I finally opted for the, "I am finishing abc and xyz responsbilities in August (almost there!) and will then reach a natural break in my career; pursuing an MBA now will help me reach so and so goal." I didn't seem all that solid, but I doubt many other people had solid answers, either.

That's a solid answer.

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 07:05
Haven't faced this predicament yet because Columbia's goals essay doesn't explicitly emphasize on this aspect. But I think the "natural break" argument is a good one, too.
Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 07:37
solaris1 wrote:
Haven't faced this predicament yet because Columbia's goals essay doesn't explicitly emphasize on this aspect. But I think the "natural break" argument is a good one, too.

I am working on my Columbia essay, too... #1 specifically....
I think a why now is needed in Essay#1, but that 750 words limit make it very hard to elaborate.

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

Current Student
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 09:05
fatb wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

I think a why now is needed in Essay#1, but that 750 words limit make it very hard to elaborate.

Try 500 words w/ Ross...now that is tough..
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 13:41
glettian wrote:
fatb wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

Try 500 words w/ Ross...now that is tough..

Ain't that true. I've got a non-typical background so I feel a need to explain what my job entails, that takes up a good number of words. I think the biggest challenge of the Ross essay is to fit everything you want to say into 500 words.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 13:44
smkrn wrote:
I'm probably not a good judge of what's a good answer, but this definitely sounds unique, so you've got that going for you.

Thanks! Unique certainly can't hurt!
Re: Why is now the best time for you to join our program?   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2008, 13:44