Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 11:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

why is OA C?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

why is OA C? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 11:14
Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sheep, though essentially easy prey for wolves, are not usually attacked by them. In Hylantia prior to 1910, farmers nevertheless lost considerable numbers of sheep to wolves each year. Attributing this to the large number for wolves, in 1910 the government began offering rewards to hunters for killing wolves. From 1910 to 1915, large numbers of wolves were killed. Yet wolf attacks on sheep increased significantly.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the increase in wolf attacks on sheep?

A. Populations of deer and other wild animals that wolves typically prey on increased significantly in numbers from 1910 to 1915.

B. Prior to 1910, there were no legal restrictions in Hylantia on the hunting of wolves.

C. After 1910 hunters shot and wounded a substantial number of wolves, thereby greatly diminishing these wolves’ ability to prey on wild animals.

D. Domestic sheep are significantly less able than most wild animals to defend themselves against wolf attacks.

E. The systematic hunting of wolves encouraged by the program drove many wolves in Hylantia to migrate to remote mountain areas uninhabited by humans.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 11:41
Argument:
domestic sheep -> easy prey
but wolves do not generally attack

More wolves -> less prey so they attackk sheep

another reason could be less wolves cannot attack normal prey - so they attack sheep - easy prey
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: why is OA C? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
2times wrote:
Wolves generally avoid human settlements. For this reason, domestic sheep, though essentially easy prey for wolves, are not usually attacked by them. In Hylantia prior to 1910, farmers nevertheless lost considerable numbers of sheep to wolves each year. Attributing this to the large number for wolves, in 1910 the government began offering rewards to hunters for killing wolves. From 1910 to 1915, large numbers of wolves were killed. Yet wolf attacks on sheep increased significantly.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the increase in wolf attacks on sheep?

A. Populations of deer and other wild animals that wolves typically prey on increased significantly in numbers from 1910 to 1915.

B. Prior to 1910, there were no legal restrictions in Hylantia on the hunting of wolves.

C. After 1910 hunters shot and wounded a substantial number of wolves, thereby greatly diminishing these wolves’ ability to prey on wild animals.

D. Domestic sheep are significantly less able than most wild animals to defend themselves against wolf attacks.

E. The systematic hunting of wolves encouraged by the program drove many wolves in Hylantia to migrate to remote mountain areas uninhabited by humans.

Good question!!!!!!!!!!!!

its between C and D. the attacks on sheep was increased not because of sheeps' inabilities but because of wolves' inabilities to hunt wild animals. wolves couldnot attack wild animals. therefore they are forced to attack on demostic sheeps.

therefore its C not D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 12:45
C because we already know that the domestic sheep are easy prey but the wolves did not attack them until...
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 18:25
(C) seems pretty straight forward. (D) is pretty much clearly laid out already in the passage as sheep being easy prey to wolves - (D) does not really provide much of an alternative explanation. However, (C) tells us clearly that since sheep are easy prey AND that injured wolves probably find it easier to go after that easy prey, the attacks may have increased.

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 20:35
Another possibility is that there could have been a huge number of wolves to begin with. Even if hunters shot and killed many of them, wolves still reproduce quickly (give birth to litters at a time). These new younger wolves could have been targeting the sheep as well as their wounded forefathers.
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 21:45
C

if wounded then they will try to get easy prey.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 21:52
"Another possibility is that there could have been a huge number of wolves to begin with. Even if hunters shot and killed many of them, wolves still reproduce quickly (give birth to litters at a time). "These new younger wolves could have been targeting the sheep as well as their wounded forefathers."

GMATT33, my friend, I believe you just committed a SC sin ;)

"These new younger wolves could have been targeting the sheep as well as their wounded forefathers." - are you suggesting that the younger wolves are targetting sheep and are also targetting their own wounded daddy wolves? ;) heh heh -- distorted meaning, pronoun reference error .. :D ;) ;)

My GMAT Debrief

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 22:08
C stands
wolves usually hunt in packs so when hunters shot and wounded a substantial number of wolves, thereby greatly diminishing these wolves? ability to prey on wild animals. Wolves had no choice but to kill sheeps

IE IMBA 2010

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 22:10
necromonger wrote:
"Another possibility is that there could have been a huge number of wolves to begin with. Even if hunters shot and killed many of them, wolves still reproduce quickly (give birth to litters at a time). "These new younger wolves could have been targeting the sheep as well as their wounded forefathers."

"These new younger wolves could have been targeting the sheep as well as their wounded forefathers." - are you suggesting that the younger wolves are targetting sheep and are also targetting their own wounded daddy wolves? ;) heh heh -- distorted meaning, pronoun reference error .. :D ;) ;)

I think we all need a break!
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 23:41
2times wrote:
necromonger wrote:

Yep, wolves are ravenous beasts. They`ll eat anything. OK, time to go to the gym for a few hours and blown off some steam before rengaging..
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2006, 06:25
SC is going to be my downfall..my head is swirling with all the rules and I still can't seem to get them all right. Every practice test I get at least 5-6 wrong no matter how hard I try to study the sentence and apply all that logic :( I sometimes feel it's going to be my downfall in GMAT... and to think I really underestimated it when I began. I thought 'I've been reading english for years, so it shouldn't be a big deal', and now I'm realizing that it was a major mistake. I'm getting hammered in SC...

GMATT73 wrote:
2times wrote:
necromonger wrote:

Yep, wolves are ravenous beasts. They`ll eat anything. OK, time to go to the gym for a few hours and blown off some steam before rengaging..

My GMAT Debrief

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2006, 10:38
Straight C.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2006, 10:47
No doubt...C it is...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: why is OA C? [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 22:00
Professor wrote:
2times wrote:

Good question!!!!!!!!!!!!

its between C and D. the attacks on sheep was increased not because of sheeps' inabilities but because of wolves' inabilities to hunt wild animals. wolves couldnot attack wild animals. therefore they are forced to attack on demostic sheeps.

therefore its C not D.

Kudos! Classy explanation....!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.44
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: why is OA C? [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 22:17
Conclusion: People thought wolves attacked Sheep. So wolves were shot down. However, Sheep attacks increased instead of being decreased.

A. Populations of deer and other wild animals that wolves typically prey on increased significantly in numbers from 1910 to 1915. - does not explain the finding that sheep attacks increased.

B. Prior to 1910, there were no legal restrictions in Hylantia on the hunting of wolves. - Irrelevant

C. After 1910 hunters shot and wounded a substantial number of wolves, thereby greatly diminishing these wolves’ ability to prey on wild animals. - These wild animals may have increased in number or activity after wolves were shot down, so these wild animals in turn may have attacked Sheep. Explains the finding that Sheep attacks increased

D. Domestic sheep are significantly less able than most wild animals to defend themselves against wolf attacks. - doesn't explain why the attacks increased

E. The systematic hunting of wolves encouraged by the program drove many wolves in Hylantia to migrate to remote mountain areas uninhabited by humans. - So Sheep attacks should decrease! But why did they increase?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 20

Re: [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 09:36
GMATT73 wrote:
Another possibility is that there could have been a huge number of wolves to begin with. Even if hunters shot and killed many of them, wolves still reproduce quickly (give birth to litters at a time). These new younger wolves could have been targeting the sheep as well as their wounded forefathers.

In just 5 years??? Good fun :lol:

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: why is OA C? [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2014, 19:04
I do not understand why the answer choice is C

On the premise, it says large number of wolves were killed and the answer choice seems to go off of the premise by saying the wolves were wounded? Premise is premise so the answer chioce cannot revise or bring up as an issue of whatever stated in the premise, right?

Please explain.
Re: why is OA C?   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2014, 19:04