Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why MBA ?????

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1 Year Research & Development
WE 2: 7.5 Years IT Consultant
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 21

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 00:23
This post received
KUDOS
Wonderful post, Bigoyal. Answering these questions with thorough introspection would be a big help.

Few questions on long term goals and how does MBA & short term goal help to achive them, would make the story better, I guess. What is your take on this.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 22:20
Guys, need some urgent advice. The reason i want to do an MBA is a reactive rather than proactive, i.e. I am I have 8 years of exp the reason I want to do an MBA is because I am noticing a shift in the needs of companies in my industry. Well such concepts were always there but its with the availability of the right technology and some new needs that companies have started adopting the age old advice. I could have been proactive but I waited for 8 years to see the shift and then decided to get an MBA.

Will this be frowned upon.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [2] , given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 21:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
tryinghard wrote:
Guys, need some urgent advice. The reason i want to do an MBA is a reactive rather than proactive, i.e. I am I have 8 years of exp the reason I want to do an MBA is because I am noticing a shift in the needs of companies in my industry. Well such concepts were always there but its with the availability of the right technology and some new needs that companies have started adopting the age old advice. I could have been proactive but I waited for 8 years to see the shift and then decided to get an MBA.

Will this be frowned upon.

What you want to paint is that you not only deserve an MBA but the Ad Com will feel guilty if they don't admit you. Write your story and ask that question. This of course applies only to the Top 20. If you are applying to lower tier schools, you will be valuable to them in most situations, and esp if you get a 700 GMAT.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: President of Student Associoation
Schools: HBS 2+2, IESE YTP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 00:40
+1 Kudos.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 09:59
Thanks, it makes sense, but I guess I do not have such a story in my app that I have to submit tonight... (God help me)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 12

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 12:13
Thank you for this write up. I'm beginning to consider b-schools now and this should be quite helpful.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 08:21
Guys, another important question I want to add here which some Bschools have been posting recently.

Why MBA and why not MS ?

Example :
MSU broad is famous for MS in SCM and it asks this question to all its MBA applicants as to why they are applying for an MBA through GMAT and not MS. Plain and simple answer is the $$$$$$$ post grad. But how to justify this ?

Basic answer would be that MS is a technical oriented course not stressing on strategic/leadership and operations front.

Anything else ?

Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2011, 08:26
want to share this link sound very good to me.
hope you like it.
http://www.pagalguy.com/2010/07/a-detailed-guide-to-writing-the-why-mba-why-columbia-why-now-type-of-essays/

MBA (Mind , Body and Attitude )

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2011, 10:39
To answer the why MBA question it is important to know what would you do with your MBA. Believe it or not you can work in all industries by getting an MBA. This is the story: the MBA makes you adaptable, gives you frameworks good enough for all industries. So now, why an MBA, because you want to enter a room, and within minutes can see a challenging situation and provide solutions.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 23:52
Thanks for the brilliant post definitely things to consider as we proceed to an MBA
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 00:54
Expert's post
When writing such essay, the candidate has to make it clear to the admission committee why an MBA is a crucial step for him in order to achieve his career goals.

Mainly you need to explain:
- What skills you still lack in order to achieve your stated goals, and how the MBA/school will enable you to get each of these skills?
- What knowledge do you still lack in order to achieve your stated goals? Will the MBA enable you to get this knowledge? For example: I still lack knowledge of X to achieve my goal Y.
- What else do you still lack in order to achieve your stated goals? Experience? Contacts? How will the MBA enable you to get these things?

Your candidacy is likely to be stronger if you are more specific about what it is exactly that you are lacking in light of your goals. For instance, what exactly within marketing do you need to achieve your stated goals? Positioning? Distribution? Advertising? Strategy? Pricing? Etc.

You can find some Why MBA essay samples on Aringo website.

Last edited by Aringo on 26 Apr 2013, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.
Non-Human User
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Why MBA ????? [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 07:44
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Why MBA ?????   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2014, 07:44