Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why no replies to the Thank you letter

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Why no replies to the Thank you letter [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 17:38
I sent all my schools interviewed with a thank you letter, but never got one reply back. I really don't know what is wrong with that, why the adcom or alumni can be a little more nice to us since we really would think differently when received no replies. Should I take it as a sign or has anyone in the similar situation but admitted.
Current Student
Schools: Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

Reviews Badge
Re: Why no replies to the Thank you letter [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 17:46
I didn't get a reply back from any of my thank you notes either. It's not customary to reply to thank you notes, at least that's how I grew up.
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Why no replies to the Thank you letter [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 18:03
i can say with 100% certainty that it means a ding...

no seriously, dont sweat it, some reply some dont, means nothing

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Why no replies to the Thank you letter [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 19:29
I sent thank you letters to the 2 schools I interviewed. I didn't get a reply either.

Did get acceptances though :)

No need to sweat it!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: Why no replies to the Thank you letter [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 20:24
I didn't expect to receive a response back, but I got a reply from one of my interviewers. While it doesn't mean anything in the admissions process, I can tell you that it has made me respect the school that much more.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Why no replies to the Thank you letter [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 04:54
Essentially, it is a thank you card. Granted email changes things and makes stuff less formal but its a thank you card nonetheless. Would you reply to a thank you card for a wedding gift or a birthday present? No. Thank you cards are usually one way streets. Someone gives you a gift (interview in this case) you reply with a thank you card (email in this case) and its a done deal. Sure if the person replies to your email you may feel good about yourself but that is no indicator of how much they liked you, recommended you or how admissions will view your file. There are probably interviewers, out of personal protocol, that reply to every thank you email regardless of whether or not they gave a strong recommendation. In contrast, there are probably interviewers that never reply to a thank you regardless of whether or not they gave a strong recommendation.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth (R2), Yale (R2), LBS

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Why no replies to the Thank you letter [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 06:34
ke18sb wrote:
Essentially, it is a thank you card. Granted email changes things and makes stuff less formal but its a thank you card nonetheless. Would you reply to a thank you card for a wedding gift or a birthday present? No. Thank you cards are usually one way streets. Someone gives you a gift (interview in this case) you reply with a thank you card (email in this case) and its a done deal. Sure if the person replies to your email you may feel good about yourself but that is no indicator of how much they liked you, recommended you or how admissions will view your file. There are probably interviewers, out of personal protocol, that reply to every thank you email regardless of whether or not they gave a strong recommendation. In contrast, there are probably interviewers that never reply to a thank you regardless of whether or not they gave a strong recommendation.

Well said.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

Re: Why no replies to the Thank you letter [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 07:59
Culturally (in NA at least), one does not reply to a thank you note. A reply would be the exception, not the rule.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Why no replies to the Thank you letter [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 10:19
Thank you guys, that easy me off a little bit, but since someone says they got about half of their thank you replies, that kind of put me off why I am not getting any, I'm in California, I don't know what the typical Californian schools do for thank you replies. But I feel better now.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Why no replies to the Thank you letter [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 08:23
This post received
KUDOS
If it were customary to send a note to acknowledge and express gratitude for any and all notes acknowledging and expressing gratitude, then any thank-you note would set off an unfortunate and infinite chain of obligation to write more thank you notes.
Re: Why no replies to the Thank you letter   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2011, 08:23