Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why save endangered species? For the general pubic,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Why save endangered species? For the general pubic, [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 00:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

79% (02:21) correct 21% (01:52) wrong based on 53 sessions
Why save endangered species? For the general pubic, endangered species appear to be little more than biological oddities. A very different perception is gained from considering the issue of extinction in a wider context . The important point is that many major social advances have been made on the basis of life forms whose worth would never have been perceived in advance. Consider the impact of rubber-producing plants on contemporary life and industry; approximately two-thirds of the world’s rubber supply comes from rubber-producing plants and is made into objects as rubber washers and rubber boots.
The author’s point is made chiefly by

A. acknowledging the validity of two opposing points of view.
B. appealing to the emotions of the audience rather than to their intellects .
C. suggesting a useful perspective for viewing the question raised at the beginning of the passage.
D. Trying to discredit the view of an opponent without presenting an alternative hypotheses.
Generalizing from similar to dissimilar cases.

I do not have a clue about what the author is trying to say here? Any one can help explain? Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: I am not sure about the meaning of this question? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 01:40
This post received
KUDOS
xiuzhe wrote:
Why save endangered species? For the general pubic, endangered species appear to be little more than biological oddities. A very different perception is gained from considering the issue of extinction in a wider context . The important point is that many major social advances have been made on the basis of life forms whose worth would never have been perceived in advance. Consider the impact of rubber-producing plants on contemporary life and industry; approximately two-thirds of the world’s rubber supply comes from rubber-producing plants and is made into objects as rubber washers and rubber boots.

C. suggesting a useful perspective for viewing the question raised at the beginning of the passage.
D. Trying to discredit the view of an opponent without presenting an alternative hypotheses.

I do not have a clue about what the author is trying to say here? Any one can help explain? Thanks

This is my first real post on these boards but its not that hard.

You have to understand what the author is trying to convey in two sentences.

The author begins by stating "Why save endangered species?"

Endangered species is used to describe endangered wildlife in the general sense. And he goes on stating this fact by saying, "For the general pubic, endangered species appear to be little more than biological oddities." Basically he is trying to introduce a new understanding of the term endangered species. The term can be used to not just portray wildlife, but also used to describe other organic species.

Later in the paragraph he says, "The important point is that many major social advances have been made on the basis of life forms whose worth would never have been perceived in advance." He is telling the reader that life forms are not just flesh and blood, but all life forms on earth. And, in context of this paragraph he is stating that not just animals can go extinct, but plants can go extinct as well.

He makes this distinction by a statement of fact which states, "Consider the impact of rubber-producing plants on contemporary life and industry; approximately two-thirds of the world’s rubber supply comes from rubber-producing plants and is made into objects as rubber washers and rubber boots." He is telling the reader that the rubber plant should be placed on an endangered species list because the plant itself is actually on the verge of becoming endangered.

The author wants to tell the audience that the rubber plants are so heavily harvested that they could be on the verge of extinction, and he is implying that he wants the endangered species laws to refer to plants so they can be under the same federal statute as animals.

Which is actually his entire point in writing this statement.

The answer: C, which says, "suggesting a useful perspective for viewing the question raised at the beginning of the passage." applies to this statement because he is basically taking a widely known idea of endangered species, and introducing a new idea that endangered species should be a phrase used for all life, including plants and trees.

Ohh, and excuse my grammar, this was my only all nighter before my test on Friday to tie up some loose ends.

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: I am not sure about the meaning of this question? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 02:51
This post received
KUDOS
No problem, and thanks

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: I am not sure about the meaning of this question? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 01:10
Although I have the right answer, I do not understand all of the stimulus. I use " A very different perception is gained from considering the issue of extinction in a wider context " to choose C.

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: I am not sure about the meaning of this question? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 02:43
hfbamafan wrote:
xiuzhe wrote:

This is my first real post on these boards but its not that hard.

You have to understand what the author is trying to convey in two sentences.

The author begins by stating "Why save endangered species?"

Endangered species is used to describe endangered wildlife in the general sense. And he goes on stating this fact by saying, "For the general pubic, endangered species appear to be little more than biological oddities." Basically he is trying to introduce a new understanding of the term endangered species. The term can be used to not just portray wildlife, but also used to describe other organic species.

Later in the paragraph he says, "The important point is that many major social advances have been made on the basis of life forms whose worth would never have been perceived in advance." He is telling the reader that life forms are not just flesh and blood, but all life forms on earth. And, in context of this paragraph he is stating that not just animals can go extinct, but plants can go extinct as well.

He makes this distinction by a statement of fact which states, "Consider the impact of rubber-producing plants on contemporary life and industry; approximately two-thirds of the world’s rubber supply comes from rubber-producing plants and is made into objects as rubber washers and rubber boots." He is telling the reader that the rubber plant should be placed on an endangered species list because the plant itself is actually on the verge of becoming endangered.

The author wants to tell the audience that the rubber plants are so heavily harvested that they could be on the verge of extinction, and he is implying that he wants the endangered species laws to refer to plants so they can be under the same federal statute as animals.

Which is actually his entire point in writing this statement.

The answer: C, which says, "suggesting a useful perspective for viewing the question raised at the beginning of the passage." applies to this statement because he is basically taking a widely known idea of endangered species, and introducing a new idea that endangered species should be a phrase used for all life, including plants and trees.

Ohh, and excuse my grammar, this was my only all nighter before my test on Friday to tie up some loose ends.

Kudos and thanks for your explanation.

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Re: I am not sure about the meaning of this question?   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2012, 02:43