Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why so much pressure?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Why so much pressure? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 11:54
This is my first post and I would like to begin by thanking the community for sharing it's application strategies and GMAT prep advice (my exam date is March 2nd, applying to b-school next fall). I look forward to contributing content in a near future.

The purpose of the post is purely rhetorical on the basis of the following question: "If no underlying pattern seems to exude with regards to applicant profiles and relative admits (GPA, GMAT, WE, EC, LOR, etc.), then why do applicants continue to ask for profile evaluations, probability of admit, a mindset "I have no chance...." etc." In other words, we often see "near perfect" (on paper) applications with respect to many criteria, yet fail to be admitted and in contrast, find individuals with non-traditional stats make the cut. Who knows, maybe the domestic/international student who has good grades (perhaps not great) but a coherent, accessible and inspirational story/application be admitted to a top program.

So, why do you think we put so much pressure on ourselves and place importance on what others may think?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Why so much pressure? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 12:05
I think people submit their stats for profile evaluation to get other people's views/opinions.

1) It's a good way to identify your target/reach/safety schools and etc.
2) You can get unbiased views of third party. You might not give yourself honest opinion due to your own interests, preference and other factors. For example, a person might think he/she is a h/s/w material but others might not see it that way. Vice-versa, some people (with unusual job exp such as military officer etc) might be convinced that they can't get into h/s/w - but others might see it differently.
3) Others have more experience and relative information to make decisions based on your profile.

One of the basic value of being a Gclub member is our ability to SHARE.
By sharing your own profile for others to review and vice versa (contribute your opinion on other profiles), you are helping each other through this tough bschool application process.

After all, everything is easier when you are doing something with others - trying to accomplish something by yourself is lonely and difficult.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Why so much pressure? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 12:10
I think the purpose of people asking for evaluations is to get more perspectives.
It's not that each applicant would agree with the opinion of others anyway.
He/she usually would have a rough guess at first of where they can go.
Everybody is a unique applicant, but maybe he/she is just trying to see how their numbers (stuff that can be judged objectively) matchup. That's all...no pressure hoho.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why so much pressure? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 12:47
Definitely agree. IMO, the process of applying to b-school in itself is highly valuable to someone on many levels, regardless of the result (admitted at time x, or not). Many friends of mine actually are surprised yet have tremendous respect for me and the idea of applying to a school in the U.S. Whereas students in the U.S. (so I've heard) often move out of state (or at least leave their parents) to attend college/university, the general population of students here in Montreal stay within the city's reach (McGill, HEC Montreal and Concordia). Perhaps my initial question began because I had a feeling that some international students, at all costs want to make it to a top-tier program, yet base themselves solely on the profiles of others, neglecting their own story (that may be rich in culture, etc.)...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Why so much pressure? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 13:14
triple5soul wrote:
So, why do you think we put so much pressure on ourselves and place importance on what others may think?

Hi 555, welcome to the board. You've asked a question which I certainly don't have an answer to, and maybe no one really does.

You also make a good point about the overemphasis on statistics, etc. that you see. I think you'll find it less prevalent in this forum than others, but it's there nonetheless. Maybe I'd attribute it to our collective desire to relate to each other. Since we don't know each other's personal stories, sometimes it's easier to introduce ourselves by a GMAT score. But if you dig a bit, I think you'll find that everyone on the board has a very personal reason that they're getting their MBA, which they will sometimes even share with us. It seems to me that those who do the "best" are simply the ones who are best able to convey their reasoning through a variety of methods - essays, work path, and interviews. And that's a very subjective criterion, so we always go back to talking about what we can easily measure.

I'm also not entirely convinced that we do put too much pressure on ourselves, or place too much importance on what others may think. It's easy to draw that stereotype, but I think when you dig deep into the profiles of MBAs, the initial calling to the MBA was more often than not a noble one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why so much pressure? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 13:23
I think everyone is addicted to the forum so we just like to post stuff and then that gives other people an opportunity to post, it's the cycle of not doing work while at work.
Current Student
Schools: Cornell Johnson School
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Why so much pressure? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 13:46
well said lsuguy7 :-D

triple5soul - good luck for your GMAT - prepare well! I was in a similar position almost a year ago when I used to browse forums - wondering "why is so-and-so worrying! - such an excellent score - good gpa and work-ex" only now I realize that the real stress starts during the latter stages ie essays / interviews etc.

the app. process is a marathon, not a sprint - think of the GMAT as the first lap. Ace it. But then don't slack, after doing your best on the GMAT - give yourself a short break (not 6 months like I did!) and start on essays planning the process so you can execute solid applications in Round 1.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why so much pressure? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 14:47
Great to hear your comments and thanks for the advice. Look forward to sharing my application process (and a GMAT debrief) shortly!
Re: Why so much pressure?   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2009, 14:47