Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why this construction needs to be avoided? (With child-care

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Why this construction needs to be avoided? (With child-care [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 18:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:02) wrong based on 1 sessions
Why this construction needs to be avoided?
(With child-care facilities included)

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Preposition+noun+Participle [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 18:15
Fijisurf wrote:

Thanks.

It will depend on relative choices. What options for this construction are provided in other 4 options.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Preposition+noun+Participle [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 02:02
Fijisurf wrote:

Thanks.

Can you please post the question? I think I came across a similar construction in a different thread but selected a wrong answer choice.
Manager
Manager

Re: Preposition+noun+Participle [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 09:07
This "rule" came from Verbal Flash Cards I downloaded.
Two different sources of flash cards had this rule mentioned. However, none of them had examples. That is why I was confused by the "rule" and hoped somebody could clarify.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 20

Re: Preposition+noun+Participle [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 11:33
Hey fijisurf,

This is a great example of why I'm not that big a believer in flash cards for studying for the GMAT, which is more a test of how you think than of what you know. Memorizing rules, formulas, and tricks outside the context of actual GMAT questions is a pretty low return on investment to me. If you're going to use flashcards, I'd highly recommend that you make them yourself, and that you make them for things that you know that you need to emphasize.

For sentence correction, specifically, I think you're much better off looking for particular decision points and working from them. The GMAT routinely tests:

Pronouns
Subject-Verb Agreement
Verb Tense (logical timeline)
Parallelism
Modifiers

Training yourself to get really good at the above will answer just about every SC problem that you may find, and for the few problems on which you can't apply the above you'll have worked through enough problems to have more of a feel for it. Memorizing grammatical terminology is a long, cumbersome road that really doesn't need to be taken.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Preposition+noun+Participle [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 11:53
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Preposition+noun+Participle [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 20:02
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey fijisurf,

Memorizing rules, formulas, and tricks outside the context of actual GMAT questions is a pretty low return on investment to me. If you're going to use flashcards, I'd highly recommend that you make them yourself, and that you make them for things that you know that you need to emphasize.

I couldn't agree with you more. I have walked down the road of trying to learn totally new tricks. I wasted about a week learning and practicing a concept called 'speed mathematics'. It is an interesting and smart concept but actually applying those concepts during tests is very difficult.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Preposition+noun+Participle [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 10:47
Werewolf wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey fijisurf,

Memorizing rules, formulas, and tricks outside the context of actual GMAT questions is a pretty low return on investment to me. If you're going to use flashcards, I'd highly recommend that you make them yourself, and that you make them for things that you know that you need to emphasize.

I couldn't agree with you more. I have walked down the road of trying to learn totally new tricks. I wasted about a week learning and practicing a concept called 'speed mathematics'. It is an interesting and smart concept but actually applying those concepts during tests is very difficult.

i guess people would do it after the techniques become ingrained

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Re: Preposition+noun+Participle   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2010, 10:47