Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 00:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wide dissemination of wireless networks in cities is a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 739 [1] , given: 40

Wide dissemination of wireless networks in cities is a [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 01:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

70% (02:15) correct 30% (01:24) wrong based on 159 sessions
Wide dissemination of wireless networks in cities is a practical way to meet
the needs of city households, schools and businesses. Rural communities
have found that wireless networks are both more reliable and cheaper than
land-based networks.
Which of the following would most likely be cited by a supporter of the argument?
• Urban areas do not pose additional problems for the effective operation of wireless networks.
• Wireless networks work far better where population density is low.
• Iceland, a very rural country, successfully uses wireless networks.
• The expenses of wireless transmission in areas with large buildings is much higher.
• Poor neighborhoods have less access to cable internet than do educators or businesses.

As there is no conclusion stated I approached this ques with the mentioned part "be cited by a supporter" but no success.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 0

Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 02:23
This post received
KUDOS
ykaiim wrote:
land-based networks.
Which of the following would most likely be cited by a supporter of the argument?
• Urban areas do not pose additional problems for the effective operation of wireless networks.
• The expenses of wireless transmission in areas with large buildings is much higher.
• Poor neighborhoods have less access to cable internet than do educators or businesses.

As there is no conclusion stated I approached this ques with the mentioned part "be cited by a supporter" but no success.

IMHO B.

Rural area >>> less population (assumption..!!) >>> wireless networks are both more reliable and cheaper than
land-based networks.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 64

Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 03:16
This post received
KUDOS
IMO: A. We are asked to pick a choice that a supporter of the conclusion will endorse. The passage concludes that deploying wireless networks is advantageous. So, a supporter of this conclusion will only talk about the advantages and not mention the disadvantages. Which of the choices support wireless networks? Choice A.

But there’s something in me that just keeps going on. I think it has something to do with tomorrow, that there is always one, and that everything can change when it comes.
http://aimingformba.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 12

Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
My answer is A.
The passage specifies wireless networks are useful in cities as well as rural communities.

>> Yes. This is how I see the passage.
>> Not mentioned in passage.
>> Not related here.
>> Not mentioned about expense.
>> This sentence can not be inferred from passage given.

+1Kudos, if this helps

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 16

Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 05:17
This post received
KUDOS
I am thinking B, because it gives an additional reason to install wireless services in rural areas.
Not A, because no additional problems in urban areas do not mean no additional problems in rural areas.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 5

Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 06:38
+1 A.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS
+ 1 for A. What is the OA?
7 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 739 [7] , given: 40

Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
OA is A. Good job.

Today, I looked at this question from a different perspective. The conclusion in stated in the beginning and then premise is stated. Question asked which option can be raised by a supporter. So, I think the correct answer choice must be a mix of Assumption + Strengthen.

Now, placing the conclusion after the premises and adding the conclusion indicator:
Rural communities have found that wireless networks are both more reliable and cheaper than land-based networks. Therefore, Wide dissemination of wireless networks in cities is a practical way to meet the needs of city households, schools and businesses.

So, only A act as the required assumption to support and strengthen the conclusion. Plug-in A b4 the conclusion:

Rural communities have found that wireless networks are both more reliable and cheaper than land-based networks. Because Urban areas do not pose additional problems for the effective operation of wireless networks. Therefore, Wide dissemination of wireless networks in cities is a practical way to meet the needs of city households, schools and businesses.

OR another way to prove:
Rural communities have found that wireless networks are both more reliable and cheaper than land-based networks. Therefore, however Urban areas do not pose additional problems for the effective operation of wireless networks,Wide dissemination of wireless networks in cities is a practical way to meet the needs of city households, schools and businesses.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 16

Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 20:44
Thank you for detailed analysis. First, I got the problem wrong, but after your explanation, I understood that the only answer could be A.

Never give up,,,

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 00:45
Nice and simple. :-D
ykaiim, I did this CR with the second approach you showed. Thanks for the question.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 6

Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 17:17
IMO A
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 14

Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks in cities is a [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 04:14
This post received
KUDOS
I have found this one very tricky. I didn't understand that this one was a strengthen question because I didn't find the conclusion. In stimulus like this one, how can you find the conclusion?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 618 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks in cities is a [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 13:44
ykaiim wrote:
land-based networks.

HERE IS OE

The conclusion of this argument is: Wide dissemination of wireless networks in cities is a practical way to meet the needs of city households, schools and businesses.
The premise of the argument is: Rural communities have found that wireless networks are both more reliable and cheaper than land-based networks.

Thus, we are concluding that wireless networks will meet the needs of cities because they have met the needs of rural communities. The assumption we must make is that rural areas and cities are comparable in terms of our ability to implement these networks and make them work.

We are asked to choose an answer choice that strengthens the argument. A supporter of the argument will affirm this assumption. Answer choice A does this nicely.

Answer choice B actually goes AGAINST the conclusion--it says that wireless networks work much better in areas where population is low. Thus, it casts doubt on the idea that wireless networks will be a good solution for cities.

The argument claims that wide dissemination of wireless access is now a practical way to meet urban needs, based on the evidence of its successful use in rural areas. The author then must assume that urban areas provide no additional problems for wireless use.

(A) CORRECT. This choice confirms an assumption of the argument and thus strengthens the conclusion.

(B) This choice weakens the argument because it damages the assumption that urban areas pose no extra problems for wireless use.

(C) This choice is irrelevant because it provides information about another rural area; however, the conclusion concerns urban areas.

(D) This choice weakens the argument because it damages the assumption that urban areas pose no extra problems for wireless use.

(E) This choice is an irrelevant distinction. The argument mentioned all three groups as in need of this service. The suggestion that one group needs it more than the others is irrelevant to the conclusion.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

SVP
SVP
Followers: 283

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks in cities is a [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2014, 18:07
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1931

Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks in cities is a [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2014, 18:10
I thought that this was an inference question, because the question stem stated a "supporter of the argument" and Strengthen questions require "if true" in the question stem, and because there was no conclusion indicator in the passage.
Re: Wide dissemination of wireless networks in cities is a   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2014, 18:10