Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 7

Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs) [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 06:18
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

18% (02:13) correct 82% (01:14) wrong based on 234 sessions
Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs) for over-the-counter derivatives has the potential to improve market resilience by lowering counterparty risk and increasing transparency. However, CCPs alone are not sufficient to ensure the resilience and efficiency of derivatives markets.

Which of the following aptly describes the roles played by each of the two bold faced statements in the passage above?

A. The first is a belief; the second one is a conclusion in line with the belief.
B. The first is a fact; the second is a conclusion disputing the fact
C. The first is a conclusion; the second is a fact opposing the conclusion
D. First is a data point; the second is a conclusion from that data point
E. the first is a claim by the author; the second is a doubt expressed by the author.

Source: Self :lol:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Critical Reasoning [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
get772 wrote:
Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs) for over-the-counter derivatives has the potential to improve market resilience by lowering counterparty risk and increasing transparency. However, CCPs alone are not sufficient to ensure the resilience and efficiency of derivatives markets.

Which of the following aptly describes the roles played by each of the two bold faced statements in the passage above?

A. The first is a belief; the second one is a conclusion in line with the belief.
E. the first is a claim by the author; the second is a doubt expressed by the author.

thanks for the question, in my opinion the answer is B. clearly the first bold portion states a fact where as the second bold portion is a conclusion that is refuting the fact
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 200

Re: Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs) [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 20:51
The second Bolded portion is disputing the first bolded portion not refuting ...Refuting means to prove something wrong...Here the second portion is merely ensuing the first bolded portion in an argument ....and disputing is the exact word for that...
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-12-2013

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 35

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs) [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 11:06
Can a conclusion start with - However? (as per buks, its a premise indicator)

If KUDOS then gmatclub Test series.
YEAH!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 154

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs) [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 00:52
I had a doubt between B and E.
I chose E.
By looking at this >>> has the potential to improve
I thought it is something which author is expecting to be true rather a fact.
If the statement would have been..
Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs) for over-the-counter derivatives improve market resilience...
I would straight away mark B

I always get confused at such level. How do you identify if a statement is a fact/inference/judgemnt/author's claim etc
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs) [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 05:51
How can "has the potential to improve market resilience" be a fact? It sounds more like judgement or belief. No?

Please give Kudos if you like the post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 291

Re: Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs) [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 19:59
I don't understand how the first one is a conclusion... It def seems like a claim.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 530 Q37 V25
GPA: 3.32
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 20

CAT Tests
Re: Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs) [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 20:12
This post received
KUDOS
mohnish104 wrote:
I don't understand how the first one is a conclusion... It def seems like a claim.

Hi Mohnish

It is not a conclusion. It is a "fact". As per the author, By using CCP you achieve X. ( Proven Fact ). In the 2nd sentence, the author has some sort of background research to conclude that statement 1 is not just sufficient to achieve X.

Cheers
Qoofi

I'm telling this because you don't get it. You think you get it which is not the same as actually getting it. Get it?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs) [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 03:13
Confused between B and D.

B. The first is a fact; the second is a conclusion disputing the fact. I am not sure if the second point is disputing. You dispute in case of a controversy, a negation or anything that does not support a particular scenario. The second point is just an added piece of information of CCPs. Had the first statement said that CCPs improve market resilience, it definitely would have disputed.
D. First is a data point; the second is a conclusion from that data point. In fact the second is a conclusion from the data point, meaning, although CCP's have the potential to improve market resilience, they can't do that alone.

Please confirm if there's a mistake in the understanding.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 23

Re: Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs) [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 08:05
I highly doubt the answer. If anything , IMO , A and D seem plausible.

The first one is a belief/data point . And the second is not necessarily refuting the first . It is in line with first . It just says , Statement 1 being true , is not by itself sufficient ( rather , there is more to it). It doesn't say statement 1 is not true.It just adds to statement 1. Doesn't disagree with it .

Could you please let us know the source of this ?

Jyothi hosamani

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs) [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 01:48
get772 wrote:

I am having doubts about this.
Can anyone say what to source is?
"Has the potential" -> can not be a fact.
This mall has the potential to be the most successful in all the state.... is this a fact?
Re: Wider use of central counterparties (CCPs)   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2013, 01:48