Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wierd and surprising experience with the GMAT. Need advice.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Wierd and surprising experience with the GMAT. Need advice. [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 04:44
Recently I took the GMAT and managed to score only a 610 . Though I have been scoring 710-720 in the Manhattan CATS and 730-740 in the GMAT Prep CATS , I am still trying to analyse what went wrong. Verbal has always been a problematic area for me. Scored Verbal- 31 and Quant -43. Quant score was a shocker for me ..actually the paper itself shocked me. I found the 1st question on Quant to be too tough (had never seen such a problem in any of the CATs and had definitely not seen such a problem as the first question. What are your thoughts on this? ) Thereafter I couldn't build up my confidence throughout the paper. Apart from these mocks I was also practicing Quant from the GMAT club tests (which are considered to be of a decent level) and in the past 3-5 tests my quant score was 48-51. Infact I was pretty confident about quant and was relying on it to pull my score above 710. Even now I feel that I will be able to prepare well for quant in the next one month.
Now since I will be taking the GMAT for the second time , I want to give it my best shot and do not want to keep any stone unturned .

What do I do next? How do I prepare for the next one month.
I have the confidence and I know that I can score 720 + . But due to the previous gmat experience I am a bit dazed and confused. Looking forward to your valuable suggestions and thank you all for your time.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 654 [1] , given: 6

Re: Wierd and surprising experience with the GMAT. Need advice. [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
informmefast wrote:
Recently I took the GMAT and managed to score only a 610 . Though I have been scoring 710-720 in the Manhattan CATS and 730-740 in the GMAT Prep CATS , I am still trying to analyse what went wrong. Verbal has always been a problematic area for me. Scored Verbal- 31 and Quant -43. Quant score was a shocker for me ..actually the paper itself shocked me. I found the 1st question on Quant to be too tough (had never seen such a problem in any of the CATs and had definitely not seen such a problem as the first question. What are your thoughts on this? ) Thereafter I couldn't build up my confidence throughout the paper. Apart from these mocks I was also practicing Quant from the GMAT club tests (which are considered to be of a decent level) and in the past 3-5 tests my quant score was 48-51. In fact I was pretty confident about quant and was relying on it to pull my score above 710. Even now I feel that I will be able to prepare well for quant in the next one month.
Now since I will be taking the GMAT for the second time , I want to give it my best shot and do not want to keep any stone unturned .

What do I do next? How do I prepare for the next one month.
I have the confidence and I know that I can score 720 + . But due to the previous gmat experience I am a bit dazed and confused. Looking forward to your valuable suggestions and thank you all for your time.

When taking the test - it's important not to let any past performance affect your future performance. That first question should not have affected your confident afterwards.
Think of it like tennis - even if you lost the last point - theoretically, if you win the next point and keep doing that, you'll eventually win the game. Yes, the test is quite psychological in that respect.

see more: http://www.gmatpill.com/about/studying- ... trategies/

And if you at all have any sense of what topics were tripping you up on the test - be sure to absolutely nail those in your upcoming studies. You may be interested in testing yourself with yet another CAT: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... promo=free

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Wierd and surprising experience with the GMAT. Need advice.   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2013, 08:53