Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [4] , given: 32

CAT Tests
Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (02:38) correct 43% (01:52) wrong based on 389 sessions
Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous estimates of the size that the wild cheetah population must be in order for these animals to survive a natural disaster in the African grasslands region were too small, and the current population barely meets the previous estimates, At present, however, there is not enough African grassland to support a wild cheetah population larger than the current population.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following conclusions?

(A) Previous estimates of the size of the existing wild cheetah population were inaccurate.
(B) The cheetah's natural habitat is decreasing in size at a faster rate than is the size of the wild cheetah population.
(C) The principal threat to the endangered wild cheetah population is neither pollution nor hunting, but a natural disaster.
(D) In the short term, the wild cheetah population will be incapable of surviving a natural disaster in the African grasslands.
(E) In regions where land is suitable for cheetah habitation, more natural disasters are expected to occur during the next decade than occurred during the past decade.

Please comment your reasons while giving answer options. I will come back with OA once I get some correct reasoning flowing in.
Also, let me know which kind of question type this question is...
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Last edited by dentobizz on 07 Nov 2013, 18:27, edited 3 times in total.
Adding OA
GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: Wild cheetahs in the African grasslands.... [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 14:21
joshnsit wrote:
Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous estimates of the size that the wild cheetah population must be in order for these animals to suwive a natural disaster in the African grasslands region were too small, and the current population barely meets the previous estimates, At present, however, there is not enough African grassland to support a wild cheetah population larger than the current population.
The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following conclusions?
(A) Previous estimates of the size of the existing wild cheetah population were inaccurate.
(B) The cheetah's natural habitat is decreasing in size at a faster rate than is the size of the wild cheetah population.
(C) The principal threat to the endangered wild cheetah population is neither pollution nor hunting, but a natural disaster.
(D) In the short term, the wild cheetah population will be incapable of surviving a natural disaster in the African grasslands.
(E) In regions where land is suitable for cheetah habitation, more natural disasters are expected to occur during the next decade than occurred during the past decade.

Please comment your reasons while giving answer options. I will come back with OA once I get some correct reasoning flowing in.

A) The passage above states this, but there is nothing actually supporting such a conclusion.
B) Nothing is said above about whether the size of the natural habitat is changing.
C) Nothing is said regarding either pollution or hunting, and as such we cannot make any conclusions regarding how much of a threat they pose to the cheetah population.

D) Yep, this looks right. Not enough land to support more cheetahs + not enough cheetahs to survive a natural disaster = in the short run, if there is a natural disaster, the cheetahs aren't going to be able to make it through.
E) Once again, we do not have any information shown in the passage about the expected frequency of natural disasters.

D's the only answer that makes sense.

Hi, I'm DonQuixote, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I'm very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :) My account of my GMAT experience can be found here.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 06:17
Hello Don,
Can you please explain why did you choose D ? My answer is ''(B) The cheetah's natural habitat is decreasing in size at a faster rate than is the size of the wild cheetah population'' which is true based on the evidence in the last line "However,there is not enough African grassland to support a wild cheetah population larger...".Please suggest where I am mistaken.

arijitb1980
Its nice to day dream sometimes,if you chase it the rest of the times.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 07:45
I think option D is correct answer. Why option B is wrong because it is too specific , the argument never mentioned about the rate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 03:48
arijitb1980 wrote:
Hello Don,
Can you please explain why did you choose D ? My answer is ''(B) The cheetah's natural habitat is decreasing in size at a faster rate than is the size of the wild cheetah population'' which is true based on the evidence in the last line "However,there is not enough African grassland to support a wild cheetah population larger...".Please suggest where I am mistaken.
First of all, this is a "Find the conclusion" and not strengthen question. You should be able to derive conclusion given in the correct option from the premises.
If it is strengthen question, choice B is correct.

Now, let us look into B to derive conclusion. Rate is change(wrt time or other quantity) of quantity. B specifically talks about rate(change wrt time) of natural habitat(No) and rate(change wrt time) of cheetah population(Yes).
Do premises talk about rate(change) of cheetah population? Yes
Earlier : Previous estimates of the size that the wild cheetah population must be in order for these animals to suwive a natural disaster in the African grasslands region were too small. [Note that here it is population size which is small and not the grassland region. It is more of SC than CR here :-D]
After : and the current population barely meets the previous estimates
So the change of population is almost zero, so the rate of population change will be zero wrt time. and unknown wrt grassland region....

Now, let us talk about change of habitat wrt time or population. Do premises talk about this rate? No
So B can not be concluded

Let us see what premises say:
Earlier: Previous estimates of population was so small that it would wipe out species if natural disaster would have come.
After : Population is more or less same now.
Conclusion: Since, population is same(and other factors same), population will be wiped out if natural disaster will come in today's date and circumstances. That is what is the relevance of phrase "In the short term" in choice D actually.
This is what D says.
HTH

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 20:11
I selected B

(A) Previous estimates of the size of the existing wild cheetah population were inaccurate. - Weakens the premise
(B) The cheetah's natural habitat is decreasing in size at a faster rate than is the size of the wild cheetah population. - Correct
(C) The principal threat to the endangered wild cheetah population is neither pollution nor hunting, but a natural disaster. - Premise doesn't mention pollution nor hunting.
(D) In the short term, the wild cheetah population will be incapable of surviving a natural disaster in the African grasslands. - short term is a red flag.
(E) In regions where land is suitable for cheetah habitation, more natural disasters are expected to occur during the next decade than occurred during the past decade. - Irrelevant
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 50

Reviews Badge
Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 20:49
IMO D. We can not conclude what is written in B. Rate of decrease in natural habitat is not compared anywhere in passage.
As mentioned in D "in short term" correctly encapsulate the current situation of cheetah in African grassland.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 14:41
joshnsit wrote:
arijitb1980 wrote:
Hello Don,
First of all, this is a "Find the conclusion" and not strengthen question. You should be able to derive conclusion given in the correct option from the premises.

Now, let us look into B to derive conclusion. Rate is change(wrt time or other quantity) of quantity. B specifically talks about rate(change wrt time) of natural habitat(No) and rate(change wrt time) of cheetah population(Yes).
Earlier : Previous estimates of the size that the wild cheetah population must be in order for these animals to suwive a natural disaster in the African grasslands region were too small. [Note that here it is population size which is small and not the grassland region. It is more of SC than CR here :-D]
So the change of population is almost zero, so the rate of population change will be zero wrt time. and unknown wrt grassland region....

Now, let us talk about change of habitat wrt time or population. Do premises talk about this rate? No

Earlier: Previous estimates of population was so small that it would wipe out species if natural disaster would have come.
Conclusion: Since, population is same(and other factors same), population will be wiped out if natural disaster will come in today's date and circumstances. That is what is the relevance of phrase "In the short term" in choice D actually.
This is what D says.
HTH

Hi Mate

I chose the answer as A. Perhaps my comprehension is very poor. I would write my reasoning here:-

Previous estimate about the size of pop was small - To me it means that someone estimated that on an area of say 1000 acres, only 100 can survive a natural disaster, but actually it was quite a lot more, say 200 (ratio land:pop = 5:1). But now, the population has come down to below 100 say 50 (Cuz the current pop barely meets the previous estimates). But the grassland has also reduced and cannot support even 50. So, the land size must have come down to below 250 (less than the ratio 0f 5:1).
But does this mean that in future, any disaster will not be survived by the cheetahs? Wot if the pop of cheetahs decreases further? Then the land will take care..
So only the estimates were inaccurate. And yes, by my technique, I can also say that the land size has reduced faster than the pop (pop - came down 4 times, but land came down by more than 4 times)...So even B is right for me.

Please help me, I think my comprehension has some flaw which I need to correct. I have been making mistakes on all the 700+ level questions. :oops: :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 18:24
talismaaniac wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
arijitb1980 wrote:
Hello Don,

This is what D says.
HTH
Hi Mate
I chose the answer as A. Perhaps my comprehension is very poor. I would write my reasoning here:-
Previous estimate about the size of pop was small - To me it means that someone estimated that on an area of say 1000 acres, only 100 can survive a natural disaster, but actually it was quite a lot more, say 200 (ratio land:pop = 5:1). But now, the population has come down to below 100 say 50 (Cuz the current pop barely meets the previous estimates). But the grassland has also reduced and cannot support even 50. So, the land size must have come down to below 250 (less than the ratio 0f 5:1).
But does this mean that in future, any disaster will not be survived by the cheetahs? Wot if the pop of cheetahs decreases further? Then the land will take care..
So only the estimates were inaccurate. And yes, by my technique, I can also say that the land size has reduced faster than the pop (pop - came down 4 times, but land came down by more than 4 times)...So even B is right for me.

Please help me, I think my comprehension has some flaw which I need to correct. I have been making mistakes on all the 700+ level questions. :oops: :(
@talismaaniac, Let's pull the straws of this problem one by one.
Statement 1: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands.
Statement 2: Previous estimates of the size(say 100 cheetahs as you said)that the wild cheetah population must be in order for these animals to survive a natural disaster in the African grasslands region were too small, ==> This statement has a conditional[If {unhighlighted part}, then {highlighted part}], which says that if the cheetahs have to survive a natural disaster in the grasslands, then number of 100 cheetahs is too small . But, nowhere it is told that without natural disaster, cheetahs will not survive. So, in one possibility that natural disaster doesnt come, cheetahs will survive.
Statement 3: the current population barely meets the previous estimates. => The currently population may be 99 or 100 cheetahs if it barely meets previous estimates, which was 100 cheetahs as per our first assumption.
Statement 4:At present, however, there is not enough African grassland to support a wild cheetah population larger than the current population.==> This statement says that size of grassland says that it will support 100 cheetahs but not 101 cheetahs, because it will not support any thing larger than current population(100 cheetahs)

Let us take what can be concluded from above statements:
(A) Previous estimates of the size of the existing wild cheetah population were inaccurate.-- Our initial estimate of 100 cheetahs is still valid. So, wrong statement.
(B) The cheetah's natural habitat is decreasing in size at a faster rate than is the size of the wild cheetah population. -- The size of cheetah's natural habitat has bearing on cheetah's survival in a very specific case that a natural disaster occur. If that happens, cheetah's population will be zero. But, this option doesnt cover other option in which natural disaster doesn't happen as per statement 2. Moreover, statement 4 can mean that current grassland can support 100 cheetahs. So, this statement is not true in every case, so cant be a conclusion.
(D) In the short term, the wild cheetah population will be incapable of surviving a natural disaster in the African grasslands. -- In short term, the grassland area and the population cant be altered phenomenally (This is in accordance to various economic theories :-D ). This answer statement is actually a rephrase of conditional in statement 2.

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 269

Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 19:51
+1 D

(A) Previous estimates of the size of the existing wild cheetah population were inaccurate. (There is no mention of error in the previous estimate, eliminate)
(B) The cheetah's natural habitat is decreasing in size at a faster rate than is the size of the wild cheetah population. (Again, natural habitat is already less and not decreasing, eliminate)
(C) The principal threat to the endangered wild cheetah population is neither pollution nor hunting, but a natural disaster. (It is a comprehension which signifies natural disaster, we do not know about other dangers, out of scope, eliminate)
(D) In the short term, the wild cheetah population will be incapable of surviving a natural disaster in the African grasslands. (This can be concluded from the premise, since the grassland is not enough to support more cheetahs and the existing number of cheetahs are too small to overcome a natural disaster, thus our answer)
(E) In regions where land is suitable for cheetah habitation, more natural disasters are expected to occur during the next decade than occurred during the past decade. (Out of scope, new information, eliminate)

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 28

Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 23:37
Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous estimates of the size that the wild cheetah population must be in order for these animals to survive a natural disaster in the African grasslands region were too small, and the current population barely meets the previous estimates, At present, however, there is not enough African grassland to support a wild cheetah population larger than the current population.

(A) Out of scope, we are only told that previous estimates of critical mass were too low.
(B) This is not mentioned in the passage at all! It may sound good if there was a real world behind this problem but you must take the information at face value and not let the real world cloud your judgement. Furthermore if you look at the argument this is not the correct conclusion

-previous est at critical mass was too low
-cheetah pop hasnt grown.
Therefore....likely that cheetah pop is actually below critical mass - so incapable of survival.

I skipped and went straight to D here, C and E are both out of scope

If you find my post helpful, please GIVE ME SOME KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 16:55
joshnsit wrote:
(A) Previous estimates of the size of the existing wild cheetah population were inaccurate. opposite answer
(B) The cheetah's natural habitat is decreasing in size at a faster rate than is the size of the wild cheetah population.out of scope
(C) The principal threat to the endangered wild cheetah population is neither pollution nor hunting, but a natural disaster. out of scope
(D) In the short term, the wild cheetah population will be incapable of surviving a natural disaster in the African grasslands. Correct answer. The current population size does not meet the population size required to survive a natural disaster. At the present, there is not enough African grassland to support a larger population. Conclusion: The current population is incapable of surviving a natural disaster.
(E) In regions where land is suitable for cheetah habitation, more natural disasters are expected to occur during the next decade than occurred during the past decade.out of scope

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 269

Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 19:16
arnivorous wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
(A) Previous estimates of the size of the existing wild cheetah population were inaccurate. opposite answer
(B) The cheetah's natural habitat is decreasing in size at a faster rate than is the size of the wild cheetah population.out of scope
(C) The principal threat to the endangered wild cheetah population is neither pollution nor hunting, but a natural disaster. out of scope
(D) In the short term, the wild cheetah population will be incapable of surviving a natural disaster in the African grasslands. Correct answer. The current population size does not meet the population size required to survive a natural disaster. At the present, there is not enough African grassland to support a larger population. Conclusion: The current population is incapable of surviving a natural disaster.
(E) In regions where land is suitable for cheetah habitation, more natural disasters are expected to occur during the next decade than occurred during the past decade.out of scope

Power Score CR will call it "Most Supported" or "Must be True" type

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5383 [2] , given: 165

Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 19:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
joshnsit wrote:

You should try to think ahead of what you are expecting from your answer option.

Look at the argument:
Previous estimates of 'cheetah population required to survive a natural disaster' were too small. (e.g. Previous estimate - if there are 100 cheetahs, they can survive a natural disaster. This estimate is too small. You perhaps need at least 200 to survive a natural disaster)
The current population barely meets the previous estimates. (The current pop is barely 100)
At present there is not enough African grassland to support a wild cheetah population larger than the current population. (So the population can't increase in the short term)

What can you say from this? What does this lead to?

That in the short term, if there is a natural disaster, the cheetahs probably will not survive it. (Option D)

No. Previous estimates of 'cheetah population required to survive a natural disaster' were inaccurate. Not the estimates of current cheetah population.

The argument doesn't say that the natural habitat is decreasing. It only says that at present, it cannot increase. The rate of increase/decrease is anyway out of question.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 82

Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 23:23
Thank u karishma..realy nice explanation :)..

I seleceted A and b..

but after looking at ur explanation..i can say ..yup its D..:)

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 445 [1] , given: 249

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 04:43
This post received
KUDOS
Re: Wild cheetahs live in the African grasslands. Previous   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2013, 04:43