Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Will 2.5 yrs WE be rounded up to 3 yrs WE?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 45

Will 2.5 yrs WE be rounded up to 3 yrs WE? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 12:42
Hello, I've been lurking around these forums for about a month and let me take this chance to tell you that this is an amazing resource and I thank you for it.

Anyways, I'm planning to apply to the top-15 MBA programs this fall for matriculation in fall 2011. I graduated a semester early in Dec. 2008 and started work in March 2009. By matriculation, I will have exactly 2.5 years of WE. I know a lot of programs define experienced applicants as applicants with 3+ yrs of experience. Will I be considered with those that have 3 yrs experience? Also, is WE calculated till time of matriculation or time of application?

And yes, I know that it's the quality of the WE that matters, not the quantity, and that some schools are trending towards younger applicants. I think I've had some valuable experiences, and considering my plans for the next few years, it would be much better if I could begin a program in 2011 rather than 2012.

My final concern is my GPA. I had a 3.22 from a public elite US university (I think it was ranked 1st among public schools a yr or two ago), but my GPA was around a 3.5 my last year and a half, and I'm afraid adcoms won't consider my 2.5 yrs enough separation to give myself a chance to "mature". Any advice?

Once again, thanks a lot for these great forums and I'm really looking forward to your advice.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will 2.5 yrs WE be rounded up to 3 yrs WE? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 16:54
i would like to know this too. when i apply i will have 2.5 years of experience. will having only 2.5 years of experience at the time of application hurt me when applying to top 3 schools?

also does it count if i had internships during college in the same field i am in now? is this counted as part of my work experience?

thanks!

Last edited by username123 on 04 Feb 2010, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 45

Re: Will 2.5 yrs WE be rounded up to 3 yrs WE? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 21:44
This post received
KUDOS
I asked some of the same questions in other parts of gmatclub and got some good answers. Check these links out:

how-will-we-be-counted-89975.html

will-2-5-yrs-we-be-rounded-up-to-3-yrs-we-89878.html
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will 2.5 yrs WE be rounded up to 3 yrs WE? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 22:10
Very helpful. Thanks for following up with me :)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Will 2.5 yrs WE be rounded up to 3 yrs WE? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 15:32
A lot of applications I have seen ask for the number of MONTHS WE... so then that would show up as 30 months, opposed to being rounded up to 3 years.
It is possible if they just ask for a round figure of years that you could say 3 years I would think.

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Re: Will 2.5 yrs WE be rounded up to 3 yrs WE?   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2011, 15:32