Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 21:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Will 2.5 yrs WE be rounded up to 3 yrs WE?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 45

Will 2.5 yrs WE be rounded up to 3 yrs WE? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 12:48
This post received
KUDOS
Hello, I've been lurking around these forums for about a month and let me take this chance to tell you that this is an amazing resource and I thank you for it.

Anyways, I'm planning to apply to the top-15 MBA programs this fall for matriculation in fall 2011. I graduated a semester early in Dec. 2008 and started work in March 2009. By matriculation, I will have exactly 2.5 years of WE. I know a lot of programs define experienced applicants as applicants with 3+ yrs of experience. Will I be considered with those that have 3 yrs experience? Also, is WE calculated till time of matriculation or time of application?

And yes, I know that it's the quality of the WE that matters, not the quantity, and that some schools are trending towards younger applicants. I think I've had some valuable experiences, and considering my plans for the next few years, it would be much better if I could begin a program in 2011 rather than 2012.

My final concern is my GPA. I had a 3.22 from a public elite US university (I think it was ranked 1st among public schools a yr or two ago), but my GPA was around a 3.5 my last year and a half, and I'm afraid adcoms won't consider my 2.5 yrs enough separation to give myself a chance to "mature". Any advice?

Once again, thanks a lot for these great forums and I'm really looking forward to your advice.

(NOTE: Sorry I posted this first in the B-School Knowledge Vault. I think this would be a better place to post it)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will 2.5 yrs WE be rounded up to 3 yrs WE? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 12:55
osdihg wrote:
Hello, I've been lurking around these forums for about a month and let me take this chance to tell you that this is an amazing resource and I thank you for it.

Anyways, I'm planning to apply to the top-15 MBA programs this fall for matriculation in fall 2011. I graduated a semester early in Dec. 2008 and started work in March 2009. By matriculation, I will have exactly 2.5 years of WE. I know a lot of programs define experienced applicants as applicants with 3+ yrs of experience. Will I be considered with those that have 3 yrs experience? Also, is WE calculated till time of matriculation or time of application?

And yes, I know that it's the quality of the WE that matters, not the quantity, and that some schools are trending towards younger applicants. I think I've had some valuable experiences, and considering my plans for the next few years, it would be much better if I could begin a program in 2011 rather than 2012.

My final concern is my GPA. I had a 3.22 from a public elite US university (I think it was ranked 1st among public schools a yr or two ago), but my GPA was around a 3.5 my last year and a half, and I'm afraid adcoms won't consider my 2.5 yrs enough separation to give myself a chance to "mature". Any advice?

Once again, thanks a lot for these great forums and I'm really looking forward to your advice.

(NOTE: Sorry I posted this first in the B-School Knowledge Vault. I think this would be a better place to post it)

There is no fixed limit set on how much WE one must have for admission to an MBA program. I would say, focus on the application as a whole instead of worrying about whether your WE would be counted as 2.5 / 3 yrs.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will 2.5 yrs WE be rounded up to 3 yrs WE? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
Plenty of schools don't really differentiate a whole lot between 2.5 years and 3 years. Although it sounds cliche, they really care a whole lot more about the quality of your work experience.

To be honest, I'd be more worried about how your work experience will impact the jobs you can get out of school. B-schools might not care if someone has 2 years of work experience, but the companies recruiting MBAs usually will to varying degree. I wanted to apply with minimal work experience, but have come to the realization that I don't want to shoot myself in the foot recruiting-wise by going too early. Just my two cents though, and there are always exceptions.
Current Student
Schools: University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will 2.5 yrs WE be rounded up to 3 yrs WE? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 18:56
Also, most (if not all) the schools I applied to asked for months of WE, not years, on their apps. So you should be able to give a straight answer.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 45

Re: Will 2.5 yrs WE be rounded up to 3 yrs WE? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 20:39
Thanks for the prompt replies guys. I really appreciate it.
Re: Will 2.5 yrs WE be rounded up to 3 yrs WE?   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2010, 20:39