Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Will course withdrawals affect my application negatively?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Will course withdrawals affect my application negatively? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2010, 07:56
Here's a quick profile summary:

Undergrad: HYP, GPA 3.53, B.A. Philosophy
GMAT: 770 (Q51 V44)
Work exp: 1 year strategy consulting, intend to stay for at least a few more years
Extracurricular: Cycling team captain, public relations head of freshman orientation club
Other: Intend to take CFA L1

The main issue is I have three withdrawals in college. The honest truth is on the first day of college the dean of the university announced point blank that there is no stigma attached to a "W" on your transcript. I took courses because I was intellectually curious and when I found the course not to fit my interests I occasionally dropped it--three times with a W.

That was a pretty naive assumption on my part but will 3 W's kill my application hopes?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will course withdrawals affect my application negatively? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 09:10
I'm in a similar boat without the 770. That’s a good question. I wish I knew the answer.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [1] , given: 195

Re: Will course withdrawals affect my application negatively? [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 00:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey jjwumaster and Vannbj:
I was about to go to bed until I read this post. It was too interesting to pass up as I was in a similar situation before business school. Having worked with hundreds of applicants over the past 8 years, I want you to know that I am also speaking from a larger data set than my own humble (and humbling) experience.

Withdrawls will not affect your candidacy drastically provided these caveats:

They occured earlier in the your academic career. Specifically, within your first 2 years. As evidence, I offer to you the fact that some b-schools will allow you to list your first 2 years GPA and your last 2 years. Additionally, they will place a higher emphasis on your GPA within your major.
    Additionally, the longer you are out of U/G, the less weighted your grades are and the more your professional experience plays a greater role.

It sounds as if you dropped these non-major classes early. This is good news. Additionally, if these classes were non-quant, that is even better. However, since you do have a non-quant major you want to make sure that any quant classes you did finish, you did well in. BTW, if you did not have a lot of quant classes the adcom will look to the quant portion of your GMAT to discern your quant abilities.

So it is a slightly complicated equation. I hope I was able to help provide some binary input as I like to reserve the "it depends" answers for economists.

As always, if you would like to speak over the phone about this, I am always available for good and well thought out questions such as this. Please let me know if this is something you would be interested in.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Re: Will course withdrawals affect my application negatively?   [#permalink] 07 May 2010, 00:47