Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Will Essay mistake sink me? [#permalink]
Who can help me?

Terribly I wrote A MBA for B MBA which is a disaster to A application. So can i write the letter to update my essay due to some reasons?

Felt disappointed...........
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I appreciate the response guys,....the reason I was/am so nervous is because we're told over and over that the adcoms can spot fakeness. And I just felt that, while my essays showed what I wanted from an MBA and I connected that to Yale's specific resources,...in the mind of the adcom that one error might betray a more superficial knowledge of Yale on my part. So I was concerned that the error was small in itself, but large in what it signifies about my knowledge of Yale. I hope you all are right, and this is much ado about nothing,...but it still makes me a bit nervous.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Send PM
@mumu1986

You will have to be more specific. I'm unsure what you are referring to. Aren't there other (more important) parts of the application to select if you were an A or B applicant?

@mooze

I just want to say that I totally understand how you feel. Just remember though, it is SO easy for YOU to take one little mistake and think how it is going to blow up your WHOLE application. This is not the case with Adcoms. They have read thousands of essays, and have seen every mistake under the sun. They understand that there will be errors, that people are working on multiple essays, and truly have different goals and ideas depending on which school they are fortunate enough to get accepted to. The goal is that you want them to say "we want this guy before anyone else snatches him up".

Just don't beat yourself up over it. There is no way that one small spellling mistake will make them question your entire application and authenticity. It just won't... so try to let it go, and let us know how it turns out! Best of luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
mumu1986 wrote:
Who can help me?

Terribly I wrote A MBA for B MBA which is a disaster to A application. So can i write the letter to update my essay due to some reasons?

If you mean that you wrote "Booth MBA" in place of "Kellogg MBA" and submitted it to Kellogg, well then sorry mate, but you're out of luck and I don't think anyone can help..

You might want to try reaching out to the ad-com but since its such an obvious copy-paste fail, I'm not sure how much would they entertain you..

Tough luck! All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
mumu1986 wrote:
Who can help me?

If you mean that you wrote "Booth MBA" in place of "Kellogg MBA" and submitted it to Kellogg, well then sorry mate, but you're out of luck and I don't think anyone can help..

You might want to try reaching out to the ad-com but since its such an obvious copy-paste fail, I'm not sure how much would they entertain you..

Yes that's unfortunate.. that's why when I finalize my essays I also do a search just in case.. e.g. I do a keyword search for Haas, Berkeley, UCLA, etc if I reuse materials..
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
mumu1986 wrote:
Who can help me?

wow. That's a sure fire downer. Unfortunate.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
krazo wrote:
scorpionz wrote:
mumu1986 wrote:
Who can help me?

Yes that's unfortunate.. that's why when I finalize my essays I also do a search just in case.. e.g. I do a keyword search for Haas, Berkeley, UCLA, etc if I reuse materials..

Or have a fresh set of eyes read the essays for you. After working on your essays for weeks, there are a lot of errors that become undetectable to you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Oh God,...I found another error on a different app. I really should have listened to you guys about not re-reading essays.

This one was a career setback essay,...i discussed a time i got laid off,...in the essay i mention that i got laid off after working 14 months on this job. In the optional essay, i addressed a bit of an employment gap due to this layoff,..but i said layoff was after 13 months on the job (which is the correct figure). Again the rest of the essays are good,...but holy crap,..i don't know whats happening to me. How could i miss so many things?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Sustainability, Economics
GMAT 1: 570 Q35 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Man I hate these kinds of mistakes! :P

GMATLA wrote:
Don't worry about it. It will most likely go unnoticed. Do you really think that an Adcom with drop your application all together just for one small mistake (half mistake actually)?

This is a true example of why you should NEVER reread your essays after applying. At that point it is out of your hands, and you should only reread them in a re-apply scenario, or when you've been accepted.

I know its hard, but try not to worry about it. There are multiple posts on this forum about people switching the names of business schools, or making multiple smelling mistakes, or just flat out having poor essays, and still getting into top schools. You're just going to have to let it roll off your sholders. I would predict that almost 25% of essays have some type of error in them, and 5% or more have big errors in them. Don't worry about it. This type of mistake won't keep you out of school. My advice, stop reading your essays.

Best of luck! Let us know how it turns out
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
mooze wrote:
Oh God,...I found another error on a different app. I really should have listened to you guys about not re-reading essays.

This one was a career setback essay,...i discussed a time i got laid off,...in the essay i mention that i got laid off after working 14 months on this job. In the optional essay, i addressed a bit of an employment gap due to this layoff,..but i said layoff was after 13 months on the job (which is the correct figure). Again the rest of the essays are good,...but holy crap,..i don't know whats happening to me. How could i miss so many things?

Stop re-reading! What's done is done. There's nothing you can do about it now, it's out of your hands. If you don't get in this year, you can go back and re-read everything with an eye for this kind of stuff. For now you're just torturing yourself.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
joerandom wrote:
mooze wrote:

Stop re-reading! What's done is done. There's nothing you can do about it now, it's out of your hands. If you don't get in this year, you can go back and re-read everything with an eye for this kind of stuff. For now you're just torturing yourself.

Yeah,..i've definitely learned my lesson. No more re-reading. How serious do you think that last error was?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
mooze wrote:
joerandom wrote:
mooze wrote:

Yeah,..i've definitely learned my lesson. No more re-reading. How serious do you think that last error was?

To be fair, I'm obviously not sitting on an adcom. But it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. If it's an issue to the adcom they might ask you to clarify in an interview. I can't imagine that that's the kind of thing that makes or breaks an application though. Yale didn't get to where it is now by turning down great candidates for stupid reasons.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
joerandom wrote:
To be fair, I'm obviously not sitting on an adcom. But it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. If it's an issue to the adcom they might ask you to clarify in an interview. I can't imagine that that's the kind of thing that makes or breaks an application though. Yale didn't get to where it is now by turning down great candidates for stupid reasons.

I hope you're right brother....i applied to 6 schools,...lets hope one of them takes me. Yeah, i think i',m freaking out because i tried so hard to make all the apps flawless so that I could just relax after submitting them without any regrets. Looks like that plan backfired.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
mooze wrote:
joerandom wrote:
mooze wrote:

It's not a big deal at all. It's not like you said 13 months in one essay and then stated that it was three years in the other.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
threestripes wrote:
It's not a big deal at all. It's not like you said 13 months in one essay and then stated that it was three years in the other.

I hope you're right threestripes. Thanks buddy,...i honestly don't know how I'll survive the waiting period,...i only submitted my apps last week and i'm already a nervous wreck.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
My advice, ask the people around you (friends, family, spouse, etc..) to just refuse to talk with you about. It helps when the people around your are there to try to take your mind off it.

Also, find things that help you with your stress. The gym is great, reading a book, doing activities with friends any family, etc...

And if you really can't hold out, it might be time to pick up a drinking habit... haha, but seriously, life is too short to sit around worrying. B/C as soon as you get accepted there will be the next thing to "worry" about. This is a big deal in your life, we know that, and it is for all of us, but once you get into school you will have to manage your stress there too.

Good luck, and come back by the forums for support

PS. The errors that you listed in your essays are seriously no big deal... Just forget about them... if everything else in your app is good, errors like that mean nothing. They want overall great people for their program... A couple errors will not stop you from being an overall great candidate, student, and person. They know that...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
GMATLA wrote:
My advice, ask the people around you (friends, family, spouse, etc..) to just refuse to talk with you about. It helps when the people around your are there to try to take your mind off it.

Also, find things that help you with your stress. The gym is great, reading a book, doing activities with friends any family, etc...

And if you really can't hold out, it might be time to pick up a drinking habit... haha, but seriously, life is too short to sit around worrying. B/C as soon as you get accepted there will be the next thing to "worry" about. This is a big deal in your life, we know that, and it is for all of us, but once you get into school you will have to manage your stress there too.

Good luck, and come back by the forums for support

PS. The errors that you listed in your essays are seriously no big deal... Just forget about them... if everything else in your app is good, errors like that mean nothing. They want overall great people for their program... A couple errors will not stop you from being an overall great candidate, student, and person. They know that...

feel like this should be a sticky... great post. 8-)
GMAT Club Bot