Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Will GMAT prepare you enough to take the GRE?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Will GMAT prepare you enough to take the GRE? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 10:20
I'm thinking about applying as an MBA/MA candidate, but that requires taking the GRE. I've never even looked at the GRE to be honest with you, but will a Manhattan GMAT course plus a few practice GRE exams be enough to take the test? Or will it require more focused studying to get a good score?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: Will GMAT prepare you enough to take the GRE? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 10:56
VictoryMBA wrote:
will a Manhattan GMAT course plus a few practice GRE exams be enough to take the test? Or will it require more focused studying to get a good score?

Nope. GMAT prep does not prepare you for GRE. I heard that the quant required in GRE is not as challenging as in GMAT, but vocabulary and writing skills required in GRE may be more challenging than that in GMAT. Specially if you are not a native speaker. GMAT is very focused on analysis. Even the verbal section in GMAT is very analysis / logic / rules based. GRE is more abstract and heavily vocabulary based. I remember my friends cramming huge word-lists for GRE. Kind of a turn-off for someone like me.

There are a lot of "Masters" on GMATClub. I am sure they can give you better guidance.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Will GMAT prepare you enough to take the GRE? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 11:53
completely agree with mNeo. In some ways both of them test the same skills, but they are very different. I took the GRE about 7 years ago, and a lot has changed since then. But I would say, you will need to

1) Both GRE and GMAT verbal have Reading Comprehension and some analytical questions. Other than that GRE tests vocabulary while GMAT tests grammar.

2) GRE problem solving is much easier than GMAT. And GRE doesnt have Data Sufficiency, which can get tricky. So if you have already given the GMAT or are preparing from GMAT books, GRE quant may look easier. Still, you should not restrict your preparation to Manhattan GMAT books..

3) Both have essay writing now, and I believe they are not very different (somebody correct me if I am wrong on this)
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

Re: Will GMAT prepare you enough to take the GRE? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 12:22
Having taken both the GMAT and the GRE, GMAT classes do not prepare you for the GRE. As ujjib and mNeo said, the verbal in GRE is quite different from GMAT except for the reading comprehension part. The GRE verbal is similar to SAT verbal in terms of you having to cram word lists etc.

On the bright side, GRE math is simpler and you shouldn't have too many issues with that if you are doing well in GMAT quant. You can probably prepare of the GRE math is less than a week.

The essays are quite similar and shouldn't be much of an issue anyway.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Will GMAT prepare you enough to take the GRE? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 12:29
The Reading comprehension and math section will help. As has been said, GMAT verbal was was a breeze in comparison to GRE Word lists. While I would'nt say that my regular vocabulary is lacking, the work lists kinda put things into perspective as to how tiny that really is. Besides memorization was never my strong point.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Will GMAT prepare you enough to take the GRE? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 12:45
Based on taking both tests last year:

GRE math is easy (comparatively). If you are ok at math, just study GMAT math in detail and then take some practice GRE math exams to know how the gre will present questions should cover you.

Verbal - need to study both. GRE verbal is harder, but GMAT is different except for Reading Comp.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Will GMAT prepare you enough to take the GRE? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 15:08
i have taken both and the basic principles are the same in math and the reading comp will help as far as strategy. however, if you are looking for a high score, i would focus on gre prep materials....the verbal is much more difficult on gre.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: Will GMAT prepare you enough to take the GRE? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 17:21
the only overlap between the two tests are reading comp and the problem solving part. Otherwise, they're completely different beasts.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Re: Will GMAT prepare you enough to take the GRE?   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2008, 17:21