Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Will greatly appreciate your advice.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: top schools
WE 1: Foreign Ministry - 6 years
WE 2: Law Firm - 3 years
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Will greatly appreciate your advice. [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 09:00
Hello Guys:

I am very pleased to write my first post in this Forum and welcome all of you.

Although I have been regularly reading Gmatclub, I was lazy to contribute to the discussion ---- sorry for that.

Need to note that I already made the first attempt back in 2008 and got a 590 score. At that time, I did not know anything about such preparation books as OG, MGMAT or Kaplan, and just went ahead with the local GMAT course. I have been studying preparation materials provided and developed by the organizers of the course.

My forthcoming exam was scheduled for September 9, 2010 about three months ago, at a time when I thought I would take maximum of the preparation period. Unfortunately for me, I failed to prepare properly during the first two months because of family/work matters (and laziness :oops: ). So, I would say that I have been seriously preparing for the test for only one month.

This time, I bought OG 12 with the two enclosures, MGMAT SC, Word Probl, RC, Math Foundations and Probabilities for Dummies. Due to some reason, I did not order MGMAT Number Properties and now am sorry about it. Needless to say that I properly studied only OG 12 with the two reviews, MGMAT SC and RC.

On Sunday, I made a first attempt in GMATprep 1 and scored 590, as I did in 2008 (Q43, V27). Need to mention that in the verbal section I made only 22 questions of 41 and in the quantitative section I made only 24 questions of 37. I simply had no enough time to finish all the questions.

Yesterday, I again tried GMATprep 1 (on another computer) and did my best to spend no more than 2 minutes per question. As you understand, there were some questions that appeared on Sunday and some from OG 12. However, most of the questions I never saw before. As a result, I scored 710 - Q48, V39.

I understand that my main enemy is time. I can solve problems correctly, but it takes me longer than GMAT allows.

Guys, your help and recommendations will be highly appreciated. Shall I reschedule the appointment for another two-three weeks? Or it is better to shoot on the original day?

Thank you once again!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 53

Re: Will greatly appreciate your advice. [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 12:50
This post received
KUDOS
Matt1177 wrote:
...On Sunday, I made a first attempt in GMATprep 1 and scored 590, as I did in 2008 (Q43, V27). Need to mention that in the verbal section I made only 22 questions of 41 and in the quantitative section I made only 24 questions of 37. I simply had no enough time to finish all the questions.

Yesterday, I again tried GMATprep 1 (on another computer) and did my best to spend no more than 2 minutes per question. As you understand, there were some questions that appeared on Sunday and some from OG 12. However, most of the questions I never saw before. As a result, I scored 710 - Q48, V39.

I understand that my main enemy is time. I can solve problems correctly, but it takes me longer than GMAT allows.

Guys, your help and recommendations will be highly appreciated. Shall I reschedule the appointment for another two-three weeks? Or it is better to shoot on the original day?

Thank you once again!

Matt1177,

Do you think 710 was just a one off (outlier) score? If yes and if you think your preparation over the next three weeks will actually help you score better then you should reschedule. Btw, there is a $50 charge to reschedule and it has to be done a week before your test.

The key is of course whether your three to four weeks of time is going to help you score better.

You'll need to take a couple of tests to actually see where you stand.

All the best

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager

Re: Will greatly appreciate your advice. [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 22:43
akaydee wrote:
Matt1177 wrote:
...Do you think 710 was just a one off (outlier) score? If yes and if you think your preparation over the next three weeks will actually help you score better then you should reschedule. Btw, there is a $50 charge to reschedule and it has to be done a week before your test.

You'll need to take a couple of tests to actually see where you stand.

All the best

Akaydee:

I was little surprised by my 710. At least, it looked a bit outlier. Anyway, another test today will indicate my level more precisely. Btw today is the last day for $50 rescheduling.

Thanks much.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Will greatly appreciate your advice. [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 03:31
Hi Matt!!, Welcome to gmat club!! :)

I can sense a 700 clubber of the near future, but for that you have to work smartly over the next few days.

Two options are there:
1- You may go for your test as per the schedule. In this case, you should do atleast 7 CATs in next 7 days with explanations. Also, try atleast 3 CATs with AWA to avoid anxiety in the real test.
2- You may cancel your appointment & go for the next take after being fully prepared.

Now only you can help yourself to consider above mentioned one option, as you are the best judge of your abilities. If you think that 710 was true reflector, then go for the test, otherwise I will suggest to postpone. Your case resembles alot with mine. I also had a 590 in first gmat prep & 710 in second. But I knew that 710 was not true reflector so I didn't jump with joy.

So its your call man!! Best of luck & keep us posted :)

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Will greatly appreciate your advice. [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 04:22
Hussain15 wrote:
Hi Matt!!, Welcome to gmat club!! :)

I can sense a 700 clubber of the near future, but for that you have to work smartly over the next few days.

Two options are there:
1- You may go for your test as per the schedule. In this case, you should do atleast 7 CATs in next 7 days with explanations. Also, try atleast 3 CATs with AWA to avoid anxiety in the real test.
2- You may cancel your appointment & go for the next take after being fully prepared.

Hussain15,

Thanks for welcoming me here. I will need to do the second GMATprep test today in order to see what option to take. Will definately keep you posted.

Have a great time!
Manager
Manager

Re: Will greatly appreciate your advice. [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 11:25
Hi All:

I took the GMATprep 2 an hour ago and scored 650. Given the range 590-710-650, which is a bit suspicious, I decided to reschedule the test for Sept 27.

Will keep you posted.

Regards.
Manager
Manager

Re: Will greatly appreciate your advice. [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 02:36
Dear All:

I just returned from the test center... So, the score is 620 (Q 43, V 31).

It means that all my efforts were almost wasted. I was only able to improve a bit in the Verbal section from 27 to 31.

I ran out of time in the Verbal -- had 8 minutes to finish last 12 questions, thus, virtually all of them, I believe, were incorrect.

620 is not sufficient for my target schools, as they require 680-700.

Do you have any suggestions in my situation? BTW, I did not take TOEFL yet. Maybe it makes sense to focus on the TOEFL and make the third attempt in the GMAT in a month or so?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Matt1177 on 20 Dec 2010, 07:58, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Moderator

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Will greatly appreciate your advice. [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 02:54
Matt1177 wrote:
Dear All:

I just returned from the test center... So, the score is 620 (Q 43, V 31).

It means that all my efforts were almost wasted. I was only able to improve a bit in the Verbal section from 27 to 31.

I ran out of time in the Verbal -- had 8 minutes to finish last 12 questions, thus, virtually all of them, I believe, were incorrect.

620 is not sufficient for my target schools, as they require 680-700.

Do you have any suggestions in my situation? BTW, I did not take TOEFL yet. Maybe it makes sense to focus on the TOEFL and make the third attempt in the GMAT in a month or so?

Thanks in advance.

Hi matt, sad to know the score.

But one point is amazing. You have guessed the last 12 questions & still got V31. It means, had you managed your time well, you would have reached V37 I believe.

You can take TOEFL for the sake of time & then come back to gmat for a final hunt. Do check the TOEFL forum of gmat club.
toefl-ielts-pte-143/

Best of luck & keep us posted.

[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Manager
Manager

Re: Will greatly appreciate your advice. [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 03:04
Hussain15 wrote:
But one point is amazing. You have guessed the last 12 questions & still got V31. It means, had you managed your time well, you would have reached V37 I believe.

You can take TOEFL for the sake of time & then come back to gmat for a final hunt. Do check the TOEFL forum of gmat club.
toefl-ielts-pte-143/

Hussain15,
I indeed appreciate your comment. It is really encouraging, especially now. Thank you, man!

But what if I earned 37 in V? Would my score have increased substantially?
Retired Moderator

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Will greatly appreciate your advice. [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 03:16
Matt1177 wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:

toefl-ielts-pte-143/

Hussain15,
I indeed appreciate your comment. It is really encouraging, especially now. Thank you, man!

But what if I earned 37 in V? Would my score have increased substancially?

I think you would have reached 660.

I am attaching a 700 score calculator, just if you are interested to know.
Attachments

700 Score Calculator.png
700 Score Calculator.png [ 26.27 KiB | Viewed 1216 times ]

I Can, I Will

Manager
Manager

Re: Will greatly appreciate your advice. [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 10:52
[quote="Hussain15"][quote="Matt1177"][quote="Hussain15"]
Hussain15, thank you for your views.

Guys - I decided to go ahead with the TOEFL that is scheduled for Nov 14, 2010. To the extent that I get over a 100, I will appoint the GMAT as soon as I receive a TOEFL score.

In the mean time, I ordered some fiction books, as proposed by bb in his post, to increase my comprehension speed in RC.
I am also thinking of buying GMATclub math tests to improve on Q.

Do you think I will be able to understand that material properly, say, in 2 months?
Retired Moderator

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Will greatly appreciate your advice. [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 20:02
For Q improvement, gmat club tests are excellent. Normally its said that these tests are for ones who want to move from 45 to 50. Also, you need to have the remaining Q books of MGMAT. These will help you getting pass 45 & then you can practice on gmat club tests.
For V study & practice, I will recommend you the gmat paper tests. These are old gmat tests & have some very good RC & CR questions.

IMO, if you commit yourself, 2 months is a good time for you to hit back.

Best of luck.

I Can, I Will

Manager
Manager

Re: Will greatly appreciate your advice. [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 23:36
Hussain15 wrote:
Also, you need to have the remaining Q books of MGMAT. These will help you getting pass 45 & then you can practice on gmat club tests...
For V study & practice, I will recommend you the gmat paper tests...

Hussian15,
I ordered the remaining MGMAT Q boooks. Hope they will help.
Where I can get the gmat paper tests?
Retired Moderator

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Will greatly appreciate your advice. [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 02:21
Matt1177 wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:
Also, you need to have the remaining Q books of MGMAT. These will help you getting pass 45 & then you can practice on gmat club tests...
For V study & practice, I will recommend you the gmat paper tests...

Hussian15,
I ordered the remaining MGMAT Q boooks. Hope they will help.
Where I can get the gmat paper tests?

You can order paper tests from GMAC website. Google can be a friend in this case too.

I Can, I Will

Re: Will greatly appreciate your advice.   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2010, 02:21