Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Will I be eligible for ultra elite schools with 640?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Will I be eligible for ultra elite schools with 640? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 10:25
I am applying for fall 2006.
I have GMAT score of 640 (Q:50, V:27) AWA: 4.0. I will be having 5 years of work experience as software developer by fall next year. I am about to get promotion as senior systems analyst in a month (in growth point of view). Do you think my GMAT score will be enough get through the ultraelite schools.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 15:01
A 640 is certainly high enough to be admitted to ultralelite schools. However, a higher score would be helpful since a 640 would place you near the 10th percentile of enrolled students (the 10th percentile at Columbia is 660).

Just to be clear, I would recommend taking the test again.

Last edited by Hjort on 04 May 2005, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 15:04
Unless you really have a "wow" factor, I would recommend you to take the test again. Also, schools are interested in things beyond your scores and work experience (eg your personal interest, community involvement and the "why" of B-school question)

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

Thanks [#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 20:18
Guys,

Thanks for your replies... I am currently working on my essays... I have decided to give the test again. This site always rocks with its prompt response... thank you once again.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 May 2005, 13:32
Definitely take the GMAT again. And if necessary, take it again after that if it makes sense.

I had a client this year gain entry to HBS and Northwestern as well as other great MBA schools. Her GMAT was below 600 - but she had an AWESOME, unique story. I also had a client with a 600 get into HBS. It is absolutely possible to get into schools like Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, etc. with lower GMAT scores. However, it makes the hurdle for entry that much greater. So do as well as you can on your retake of the GMAT.

Attain
info@attain-group.com
http://www.attain-group.com

Helpful MBA Links:
http://www.attain-group.com/content/resources.html

CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 May 2005, 11:55
hbsin2006,

You are welcome to send me your essays for review (gratis).

Hjort
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2005, 09:57
Hello Hjort,
I just joined the club today was going thru the posts to get a feel of the club when i saw this post. I intend to retake my GMAT (as i made an average score) but intend to keep working on my essays. so far i have worked on about three and would be very delighted if i can send them to you for reviews?
Intern
Intern

Your experience on writing essays and studying GMAT together [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2005, 03:51
Hi lols,

I read your message to Hjort that you have done your app essays and GMAT study in parallel? I'd appreciate if you can share your feeling on how that can be effective. I am making decision on my second GMAT test date soon and that will impact my application writing strategy.

I have only two choices of test date to choose now.
1. In a week. After I finish the test, I will just start my essay rigorously.
2. In 3 week. Then, I need to start my essay soon and study GMAT in parallel.

FYI, I got score 690 from my last test and am hoping to reach 700+.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2005, 06:21
Hi Gmatbangkok,
I have an 8a.m - 8p.m job in far away africa and realised that if i have to make grad school next year i NEED to study for GMAT and write my application essays at the same time. It is tasking but the best way to go abt it is to always have a jotter on you so u can take down various essay points that may just flash through during a busy day then on a day when you are very tired of studying your GMAT, you get all your jottings together and piece them to form an essay. over time, you will have a skeletal framework of your essays then at your free time(non gmat time) you start to add flesh to the essays!!
stressfull but rewarding if you are a very busy person!
i hope i have been of help.

N.B your 690 GMAT score wasnt bad!!!
  [#permalink] 12 Nov 2005, 06:21