Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Will job change in admission season hurt my profile ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Will job change in admission season hurt my profile ? [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 09:30
Hi,

I'm currently working for a less well-known company that I joined it 5 years ago and have >2 years of international experience starting Oct 2008.

Currently, I'm directly managing 6 people and have 13 people reporting to me additionally (dotted line).

I got married recently and that has affected my financial situation. Plus it's difficult to keep working when I know I am good enough to have a better paying job. (I wish I had thought of it earlier).

Now, I'm going to be 29 in August and I guess that pushes me into the older candidate category.

On top of all this, my most recent client manager has also left and the current manager is not really someone I would like my recommender to be. He doesn't inspire me and I don't wanna beg him for a reco if I don't leave the job. My own company manager - he's a recent joiner as well so not well-placed to give me a recommendation.

So, if I leave the job, I don't have a reco or so many people reporting to me straightaway in the new place. That affects my profile I think. If I don't leave the job, the dissatisfaction won't let me work well enough and I don't think it's good for my job or myself.

I have started looking for job so that if things get worse and I can't stand it, I at least have an exit route. Any advice on how I can handle this from my application perspective ?

Thanks, Rho
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will job change in admission season hurt my profile ? [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 12:48
Expert's post
All good questions and I empathize with your plight. It's not any fun to grind out a daily work routine in a place where you are unhappy. It doesn't sound like your job change would necessarily be an upward move, which could create some challenges as it pertains to your application. Generally, any moves you make in your career should be onward and upward--sometimes even a pay increase can be a valid and "excusable" reason for a move even if it's just a lateral one. If you can weave a good story around why you left that does not center on your being unhappy at your old job, it's a better play. If you can somehow justify that it is a move which better challenged you or provided you with some kind of necessary experience you felt you lacked in your old job, that's good too. If you can't do either or both of these, it may be best to just tough it out, make the best of it and try to leverage your leadership opportunities and potential recomendations from a "seasoned" job. Another option is to make the move and then delay b-school applications another year or two. I wouldn't stress about your being an "older" candidate. I was over 30 when I went back (to a top 5 school), and sometimes being older can even help you differentiate yourself, so long as you did something interesting and progressively responsible with your time. Better to come in with a couple of years in a new job that you love and are more posititve and passionate about than to go back now just because you are under 30. Being under 30 does not really get you anywhere with an adcom.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Will job change in admission season hurt my profile ? [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 02:30
Thanks Bryant.
I'm happy to know that age won't be a big problem. In that light, I think I will wait and make this job change work for me and apply next year (if I can resist applying this year).

Best,
Rho
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Will job change in admission season hurt my profile ? [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 03:43
Bryant does the age factor play a similar role for an international applicant (say an Indian). I have heard mixed views on this and many inclined to the fact that older international applicants may find it tough to get into a two year program.

I know that a solid clarity and clear path for post MBA goals is must for someone in this age group but any other factors you think need to be addressed especially from the perspective of a industry/location/function changer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will job change in admission season hurt my profile ? [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 07:01
I was recently surfing youtube videos and was analyzing for myself what is UNCOMMON experience of candidate. And from my experience of this topic - everything is alright. Experience is good, age as well.

The only thing you should fix is how do you think about yourself and as a result how you will present you CV walkthrough.

You can watch these videos as well - if you will be interested - let me know ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will job change in admission season hurt my profile ? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 02:27
Izvos wrote:
I was recently surfing youtube videos and was analyzing for myself what is UNCOMMON experience of candidate. You can watch these videos as well - if you will be interested - let me know ;)

Which videos do you talk about? Please elaborate
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will job change in admission season hurt my profile ? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 06:47
I'm limited with posting links for the next 3 days. I will send you those.
Re: Will job change in admission season hurt my profile ?   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2011, 06:47