Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 11:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

will MBA help me better than CFA in this goal?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

will MBA help me better than CFA in this goal? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 02:19
i study accounting and finance in greece (aueb) focusing in accounting ( i still take 5-6 finance classes though)
The career i am aiming for

3-4 years auditing in big 4=> banking
or just start in banking
generally i wanna go into banking at some point and i wonder

will MBA serve me well? or CFA will help more?
also my university offers 3 mbas, the international (which i propably wont attend, cause its more expensive and it is on english language) is accredited by AMBA, but the executive isnt, does that mean that in case i travel to europe, it wont have much credit?

i am good at maths (calculus 1, statistics 1, linear alg 1, regression not so good)

so in that case, for banking, cfa or mba
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: will MBA help me better than CFA in this goal? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 14:12
I don't know much about Greece but at least in the US CFA is basically useless for investment banking. CFA is valued in asset management, biggest space for it is buy side mutual funds.
Intern
Intern

Re: will MBA help me better than CFA in this goal? [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 01:53
galan wrote:
I don't know much about Greece but at least in the US CFA is basically useless for investment banking. CFA is valued in asset management, biggest space for it is buy side mutual funds.

mostly i care for an entry job in bank as a financial analyst, then i am willing to go further education
i just dont wanna lose time/money for something that wont help me break into it
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: will MBA help me better than CFA in this goal? [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 07:47
Expert's post
Hi there,

If you're looking to get into a financial analyst position, you have to go the MBA route. The firms you're looking to target focus on MBA grads to fill the ranks of their classes. A CFA simply isn't the same structure and the recruitment is what you need.

So, short answer, MBA.

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern

Re: will MBA help me better than CFA in this goal? [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 09:34
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Hi there,

If you're looking to get into a financial analyst position, you have to go the MBA route. The firms you're looking to target focus on MBA grads to fill the ranks of their classes. A CFA simply isn't the same structure and the recruitment is what you need.

So, short answer, MBA.

Bhavik

thanks for the answer
what if i cant hit a nice mba?
should i choose a lower lvl mba? go for ms in finance? or an mpa maybe?

generally, should i do an MBA even if i dont know about quality?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: will MBA help me better than CFA in this goal? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 08:20
I would still suggest an MBA as financial analyst jobs are not the most competitive positions (compared to private equity, investment banking, sales and trading, etc.) and an MBA will give you the most flexibility as your career progresses.

An MPA is a Masters in Public Administration degree which would take your career in an entirely different direction involving the public sector.

Best of luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Give KUDOS! if a post helps you
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on GMAT Club & https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv and Michael Cohan on https://plus.google.com/u/0/112394163312774253233
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.

Expert Post

Re: will MBA help me better than CFA in this goal? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 14:28
Expert's post
Hey there,

Sorry for the delayed response - still stick with the MBA. I think, when you refer to an MPA, you're referring to a Masters in Public Accounting? Not Public Admin right?

See, with either of those two degrees, you end up becoming more and more specialized in something. What an MBA gives you is the broad based degree to support your work in Finance. The other two degrees will teach you how to do certain things very well while an MBA will allow you to specialize while also giving you a foundation in everything else too, which can be key.

I hope that helps! If you'd like to chat in more detail, don't hesitate to reach out and set up a chat with me (click here).

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Intern
Intern

Re: will MBA help me better than CFA in this goal? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 16:38
i was refering to public administration
i heard they share pretty much the same core courses
so my point is
"if my mba isnt known well wide, and it is limited on the spot, i can get the mpa, hoping to give me the edge to start with and if it doesnt work as i wanted i could jump to public sector consulting"
what i say
a good mba obviously will do the job
but if i cant afford any good mba?
what do i do then?
mpa? cfa? master in fin? or still do the mba even if not top one
Expert Post

Re: will MBA help me better than CFA in this goal? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 18:37
Expert's post
Ahh - my apologies then! Public Administration, as Michael mentioned, really takes you off in a completely different direction.

The simple answer is yes, an MBA is still a better choice. Even if it isn't a top 10 one. You want options here. An MBA gives you options.

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Intern
Intern

Re: will MBA help me better than CFA in this goal? [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 03:02
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Ahh - my apologies then! Public Administration, as Michael mentioned, really takes you off in a completely different direction.

The simple answer is yes, an MBA is still a better choice. Even if it isn't a top 10 one. You want options here. An MBA gives you options.

Bhavik

ok, thanks
Re: will MBA help me better than CFA in this goal?   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2013, 03:02