Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Will McCombs get me where I want to be?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Will McCombs get me where I want to be? [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 08:46
Got dinged at Tuck, Wharton, Columbia. Got into my backup - McCombs - great school. Very excited.

Here's the thing - I need some career advice to help reach my goals. Wanted to transition from the start-up world, lawyering to consulting or I-Banking (I want to touch a lot of companies). One day, I want to buy a company - and want to be rung through the ringer - seeing a lot of companies at a name-brand outfit.

My grades weren't so hot in law school and undergrad - and I didn't work for a name-brand out of law school. I worry this may be an early disqualifier to enter a name-brand outfit. Prior to b-school, I started a finance company focusing on cross-border transactions. Also, I am really involved in my community - and some recruiters have told me that my entrepreneurial activities and level of community leadership might even be a deterrent to prospective employers at name-brand outfits (Goldman, McKinsey).

Thoughts? What do I need to do when I start McCombs to make sure that I land in the right pot?

Will McCombs get me where I need to be?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 4

Re: Will McCombs get me where I want to be? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 09:15
Focus will be your challenge. McKinsey and Goldman are two very different career paths. Pick one and do everything you can to show that you are committed. These places spend a lot of money on their MBA hires and they don't want you to take their name and jump ship. Yu will have to show why your chosen path is your career and not a stop in the journey to something else.

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: Will McCombs get me where I want to be? [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 06:15
Coyote77 wrote:
Got dinged at Tuck, Wharton, Columbia. Got into my backup - McCombs - great school. Very excited.

Here's the thing - I need some career advice to help reach my goals. Wanted to transition from the start-up world, lawyering to consulting or I-Banking (I want to touch a lot of companies). One day, I want to buy a company - and want to be rung through the ringer - seeing a lot of companies at a name-brand outfit.

My grades weren't so hot in law school and undergrad - and I didn't work for a name-brand out of law school. I worry this may be an early disqualifier to enter a name-brand outfit. Prior to b-school, I started a finance company focusing on cross-border transactions. Also, I am really involved in my community - and some recruiters have told me that my entrepreneurial activities and level of community leadership might even be a deterrent to prospective employers at name-brand outfits (Goldman, McKinsey).

Thoughts? What do I need to do when I start McCombs to make sure that I land in the right pot?

Will McCombs get me where I need to be?

In my opinion, Mccombs will still get you there just fine if you're willing to put in the work. Austin's a great city and huge for startups and raising money if you stay in the area ultimately. It's ranked like 3rd in VC funding after Silicon Valley and NY. I think you'll have a great time there. If I were dinged from my other choices, I would be there in a heartbeat.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will McCombs get me where I want to be? [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 06:44
The short answer is yes. If your goal is McKinsey or Goldman, then this path may be more challenging -- but it is still doable. You will have to excel academically as well as start networking from day one. If your goals are more along the line of Deloitte or Citi, then they are perfectly doable. McCombs is a great school with great resources and you will have an amazing experience.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Will McCombs get me where I want to be?   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2013, 06:44