Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Will Missing Integrated Reasoning Score Look Bad?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 581 [3] , given: 114

Will Missing Integrated Reasoning Score Look Bad? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
So I just tried the new Integrated Reasoning questions on the GMAC website b/c I was curious what they looked like. Well it turns out that they are AWESOME. If you are financial analyst like me, they are super easy. I tried them all and got them all right in just a few minutes. Plus you get a calculator. I think it would have been a perfect section for me, especially when my quant isn't 90%+. It would've been a way to show my analytic skills also. Check them out if you're curious: http://www.gmac.com/gmac/thegmat/nextge ... ormats.htm

That being said, I've already taken the GMAT and scored a 710 (I'm happy with that). My scores will last for 5 years, and I'm unsure if this will be the year I get accepted. So I have two questions:

1) Will not having the integrated reasoning score make my GMAT score look less impressive in the future? Next year I would be competing against people with this new type of score. Adcoms will most likely be looking for people that do well in this area right?

2) I know many GMAT instructors and companies are encouraging people to take the GMAT before the June 2012 when this new section is inserted. Is it possible, that they should actually be encouraging some people (especially someone like me that would benefit from what I would consider an easy section) to actually WAIT until the new section comes out?

Interesting to think about. What do you guys think? Any professionals out there with an opinion?

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 180 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will Missing Integrated Reasoning Score Look Bad? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 15:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi GMATLA,

Kaplan recommends taking the test now for a simple reason: 100 hours of studying goes a lot farther when your studyign is divided among 6 question types than among 10.

As for the IR section as viewed by admissions departments, it's hard to predict exactly how things will work out. But it's quite possible that schools won't even consider the Integrated Reasoning section n 2013. It wouldn't be unprecedented for B-schools to watch the first class of students that have IR scores, collecting statistical data correlating their grades with their IR test results, and then to use that information to decide how important the IR section is come 2014.

I hope that this helps you make a decision--let me know if you have any more specific questions!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 581 [0], given: 114

Re: Will Missing Integrated Reasoning Score Look Bad? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 15:58
I definitely understand Kaplan's recommendation. I actually orginally heard it from my Kaplan instructor in an on-site class (570 Diag. to a 710! but that's a story for another day). I loved the course, and had been encouraged to just get the test over with before June. Now that I see the new questions, I am slightly bummed that these questions hadn't come sooner. I feel they would have been free points. But I definitely agree that this new section probably won't even become signifant until a year or 2 out, until they figure out the corelation. Only time will tell, but I sure hope that I get in before I find out!

It's easy to say that I wish I had it on my test now that I have a good score, but that additional section could have been the difference between a 690 and 710 b/c I def would have had to spend some more time studying for it. No matter how easy I thought it might be.

Thanks for the reply

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: NYU Stern - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 8

Re: Will Missing Integrated Reasoning Score Look Bad? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 20:21
This post received
KUDOS
I attended an "Inside the MBA" event, this past week in Miami. Tepper, Anderson, McCombs were present among others. I specifically asked the same question to the Admission reps from these schools, and they were quite insistent, that it does not matter when you have taken the GMAT, as long as it is within the 5 year limit. Secondly, no difference if the Integrated reasoning section is missing.

I gave my GMAT in Oct'10 and scored a 700, and plan to apply next year 2012. So by then, the Integrated reasoning would be part of the Actual GMAT score. So was curious, coz I have time to re-take it.

My two cents, it probably wont make any difference for the next year or two. Later on, who knows.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 581 [0], given: 114

Re: Will Missing Integrated Reasoning Score Look Bad? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 21:02
This is great info! Thank you for sharing. I really tend to agree that it won't matter for the next few years until they understand how the scoring correlates with bschool success (if at all). Only time will tell, but it is good to hear what the adcoms think.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Will Missing Integrated Reasoning Score Look Bad? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 19:41
I do understand that it's much better to have time to prepare for what you will be tested on. With that said, I think that a natural knack for a certain type of reasoning is paramount to a huge amount of studying, and so if you are able to get your hands on a textbook to familiarize yourself fully with the range of questions you can be given on the new section, and you still feel like it is much easier for you than standard quant (I feel that way as well for now, I'm a analytic more than a precision/technical type), then you should definitely go for it.
Another thing is though, that schools are liable to not consider the new score from integrative reasoning as seriously as the standard sections they are used to seeing, just because it is new and they don't really have a framework to evaluate it yet..
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 124

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 10

Re: Will Missing Integrated Reasoning Score Look Bad? [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 23:59
Expert's post
I will second Eli's advice, but either way, you ought to note a couple of things:

1) The new section is unlikely to provide "free points." The exam is designed to work as a balanced experience. if you found the material easy, then others will likely feel the same. Don't assume that they published samples are representative of the full range of difficulty of the material, or that doing well on this "easy" material will produce a great score. Unless you have some special talent for this material *that others do not have,* it is unlikely to make a significant difference for you.

2) The Integrated Reasoning section will be scored separately from the rest of the exam, just like the AWA. Your performance in Integrated Reasoning will have no effect on your 200-800 score.

So basically, if you are preparing now, you might as well plan to be done before the test changes, and you have no reason to worry. If you are unlikely to be ready to test until after the change, your preparation will mostly be the same--you can start now, or wait until the spring and get prep books that deal with the new section.

Good luck!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Will Missing Integrated Reasoning Score Look Bad? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 00:35
I'll echo the sentiments made so far on this board. I don't think it will have an effect on admissions whatsoever. Personally, I'm planning on taking it in late May before the switchover.
Re: Will Missing Integrated Reasoning Score Look Bad?   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2012, 00:35