Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.51
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Re: Will my 45Q hurt my chances? [#permalink]
You can take a summer course.

If you think you can score higher, then retake. I'm assuming you've only taken the gmat once so far. If you don't think you can score higher, then find other ways to prove your quant abilities. Is there anything in your current position that you could ask your recommenders to highlight to show your quant/analytical skills?

Q45 is not bad. But since you have about 7 months until the first application deadlines, you have plenty of time to work on mitigating any concerns that may be perceived in your app.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
45Q is not considered a low score. I also got a 45Q and got accepted at Duke, Yale and Rice and was invited to interview at Cornell before I withdrew my application. Only take a accounting/economics class in summer if have the time, money and energy, otherwise just focus on applications. Also, you can take a class in Fall and send an update to the schools, if necessary - might help if you are on wait-list (thinking bad scenarios)
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi Trinko,

Here's what you're facing. On one hand, the raw score isn't bad. It isn't that concerning. From a percentile standpoint, it'll be low but that's to be expected and will only continue to deteriorate as it self-adjusts over the next few years.

However, a 45 is still a good score. If it is good ENOUGH will depend on 2 things.

1) Where do you want to apply? The higher you go, the higher the average GMAT, the higher your score needs to be
2) What your undergrad GPA was and where you went? Was it average from an average school? Then higher might be necessary

Here's the thing. Retaking the GMAT might be the right course of action here if you decide you need to work on this versus alternative transcript. Here's why. Your quant isn't LOW per se. It's average. So if you take a course, you might be able to weave a story around it but that's more useful when improving a negative, not further refining something neutral. Does that make sense? I don't know enough to make a suggestion here but consider what it says about you and your story and let that guide which choice you make.

I'm happy to help if you want to share some more!

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: LBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Trinko

You have a super balanced score. Your score is actually rare, and it shows what type of person you are.

I am not an admission expert, but a score like yours should actually CATCH eyes instead of turn them away. Adcoms constantly see 49+Q and mid to high 30s in V.

In addition, I remember reading on a MGMAT blog where a stanford professor said "his best students overtime had a split score in the mid 40's on the GMAT."

Anyway, I would build to your strengths instead of worrying about re-taking the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools: AGSM '21
GMAT Date: 04-01-2014
Send PM
Cantona wrote:
Trinko

You have a super balanced score. Your score is actually rare, and it shows what type of person you are.

I am not an admission expert, but a score like yours should actually CATCH eyes instead of turn them away. Adcoms constantly see 49+Q and mid to high 30s in V.

In addition, I remember reading on a MGMAT blog where a stanford professor said "his best students overtime had a split score in the mid 40's on the GMAT."

Anyway, I would build to your strengths instead of worrying about re-taking the GMAT.

A question 45V 51Q, or 45V 45Q ......... which one is better?

Originally posted by code19 on 05 Feb 2014, 19:37.
Last edited by code19 on 05 Feb 2014, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
code19 wrote:
Cantona wrote:
Trinko

Not sure if you're pulling my chain, but in that scenario.. since verbal is equal, the higher score (51/45) is better in every scenario.

Just to clarify - my comment was for the same GMAT score (720) but different breakdown. Adcoms at top 10 schools will commonly see a 49Q/39V, or 48Q/40V etc. Perhaps a 50Q/37V . That type of thing, which all roughly gets to 720. What they don't see often is an equal split - which hints at a persons intellectual capability and problem solving in a different , yet equally effective manner.

-C
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Cantona wrote:
code19 wrote:
Cantona wrote:
Trinko

Not sure if you're pulling my chain, but in that scenario.. since verbal is equal, the higher score (51/45) is better in every scenario.

Just to clarify - my comment was for the same GMAT score (720) but different breakdown. Adcoms at top 10 schools will commonly see a 49Q/39V, or 48Q/40V etc. Perhaps a 50Q/37V . That type of thing. What they don't see often is an equal split - which hints at a persons intellectual capability and problem solving in a different , yet equally effective manner.

-C

I always thought such an unbalanced breakdown is already built into the final score by giving higher weight to the verbal, therefore score alone should be good enough measure if the difference is not extreme at 720 the difference can't get too extreme.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
code19 wrote:
I always thought such an unbalanced breakdown is already built into the final score by giving higher weight to the verbal, therefore score alone should be good enough measure if the difference is not extreme at 720 the difference can't get too extreme.

Thats the point. I don't think that is true. While we are nitpicking now, for a top 10 school it is worth discussing.

You can get a 700 by getting a 51Q and 33V. This is not anywhere near as good as a more balanced, lets say, 47Q/39V - which also yeilds a 700. Adcoms want to see a balance.

Now, in this case - Tinko is actually "weak" in quant, and super strong in verbal. My argument is that this is ok - because a) 45 is not that weak of a score (it is quite good actually) and B) the split of 45/44 is rare. It makes for an interesting 720.

-C
Manager
Manager
Send PM
While it might be the best breakdown for all scores of 720, but my point is *any* breakdown for a score that is greater than 720, say 730, is better in a context where we are discussing the effect of scores at such sensitivity but given that GMAT is only one component of many in admission, I don't think either matters at 700+ level for any school including top 10. i.e. 45Q is neither bad nor good, or it is as good as your final score.

We must agree to disagree :)

Cantona wrote:
code19 wrote:

Thats the point. I don't think that is true. While we are nitpicking now, for a top 10 school it is worth discussing.

You can get a 700 by getting a 51Q and 33V. This is not anywhere near as good as a more balanced, lets say, 47Q/39V - which also yeilds a 700. Adcoms want to see a balance.

Now, in this case - Tinko is actually "weak" in quant, and super strong in verbal. My argument is that this is ok - because a) 45 is not that weak of a score (it is quite good actually) and B) the split of 45/44 is rare. It makes for an interesting 720.

-C
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I would like to understand what you mean to be honest.

I am specifically talking about this persons 720, and if his score is good enough or if it should be retaken. A low quant score is indeed a common cause for concern. Similar to an extremely low verbal score (in the 20s). I am not talking about a 730, or a 51q/45v as you mentioned. Those are out of scope.

Adcmons do look at your score breakdown. This is why you typically have to write the number (Q/V) and percentile. Saying any "720" is good enough is not correct, as many factors such as nationality and score breakdown play into how "good" your 720 is.

Example: A 720 from an Indian IT male that is very heavy in Quant is borderline average for top 10 schools. However, a 45Q/44V breakdown for the same IT Indian male? Superstar.

Hope you see where I am going with this. They are not all equal.
-C
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Hi Trinko,

Here's what you're facing. On one hand, the raw score isn't bad. It isn't that concerning. From a percentile standpoint, it'll be low but that's to be expected and will only continue to deteriorate as it self-adjusts over the next few years.

However, a 45 is still a good score. If it is good ENOUGH will depend on 2 things.

1) Where do you want to apply? The higher you go, the higher the average GMAT, the higher your score needs to be
2) What your undergrad GPA was and where you went? Was it average from an average school? Then higher might be necessary

Here's the thing. Retaking the GMAT might be the right course of action here if you decide you need to work on this versus alternative transcript. Here's why. Your quant isn't LOW per se. It's average. So if you take a course, you might be able to weave a story around it but that's more useful when improving a negative, not further refining something neutral. Does that make sense? I don't know enough to make a suggestion here but consider what it says about you and your story and let that guide which choice you make.

I'm happy to help if you want to share some more!

Bhavik

Thanks, Bhavik. I want to apply to schools in the T15, including lower end of the M7. While I have some background in IT, (two jobs working on educational research databases) I have very few quant classes as an undergrad, and the ones I took were designed for humanities people. That said, I have a 3.5 undergrad GPA from a top 10 liberal arts college. Would that help or hurt me in the end?
GMAT Club Bot