Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Will my MA in Econ help me get into a good MBA program?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Will my MA in Econ help me get into a good MBA program? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 21:18
I know it sounds stupid to have two masters degrees....but I began taking my MA in econ without fully understanding the nature (or lack of) job prospects that I would have after completion. During my MA studies and my exposure to the labor market I have realized an MBA is more useful and better suited for the kind of position I ultimately want. I have 1 yr substantive work experience and a 3.8 gpa in my MA degree from American University...How much will my MA help me get into a good MBA program, or will I still just be evaluated on my ugrad, GMAT, and work experience?

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE: Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 8

Re: Will my MA in Econ help me get into a good MBA program? [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 02:20
This post received
KUDOS
Motonat,
Having a masters degree before MBA is not a cause for concern. Having a UG degree is a requirement and doing anything beyond that is in no means a concern. Infact good grades in masters degree can help to mitigate low undergrad performance. Catch is, in your essays it is good to touch up on everything you have on your resume. So as a standard practise, just explain why you did that Masters degree. I suppose you can say you were interested in knowing more in Economics or you could say the skills you learn in your masters degree will be useful in achieveing your long term goals. Think along those lines. Never give a hint that you stepped into something without doing a thorough research on it. That might come out negative.

Cheers and Goodluck.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Will my MA in Econ help me get into a good MBA program? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 13:36
Motonat wrote:
I know it sounds stupid to have two masters degrees....but I began taking my MA in econ without fully understanding the nature (or lack of) job prospects that I would have after completion. During my MA studies and my exposure to the labor market I have realized an MBA is more useful and better suited for the kind of position I ultimately want. I have 1 yr substantive work experience and a 3.8 gpa in my MA degree from American University...How much will my MA help me get into a good MBA program, or will I still just be evaluated on my ugrad, GMAT, and work experience?

Thanks in advance!

May I ask where you studied that MA in econ? You can PM me if you don't want to make it public.
I might start a MA in Economics and Business Administration and I'm somewhat worried about job prospects after that.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Will my MA in Econ help me get into a good MBA program? [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2014, 23:43
Good to know about MA in Econ..
Re: Will my MA in Econ help me get into a good MBA program?   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2014, 23:43