Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 2.87
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [2]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Will my work experience count? [#permalink]
A few points:

1. APPLY THROUGH THE CONSORTIUM,...look it up, it will be the best decision you make.

2. Any work would be valuable as long as you demonstrated leadership and the adcoms feel that you have experiences worth sharing with your classmates.

3. Don't emphasize the tough upbringing too much,..it will certainly provide uniqueness to your application and speak to your character and resilience, but use it smartly. Make sure to concentrate on your goals and the specific programs you're applying too.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Send PM
In all honesty if you are aiming at top 15 US bschools I don't think your work experience will be valued enough for admission. While your acheivements in your job are def commendable, I don't see adcoms viewing it as more than success within campus jobs. It won't be counted as full time work experience. You have to remember that you will be competing for a seat in the class with people who are marketers, bankers, entrprenuers, engineers, product managers, and even some pro athletes. Many of these people will also have managerial experience and job awards, but at a higher level. Also does your current experience even relate to your post MBA goals. I'm not seeing a jump from dining hall management to investment banking or consulting or even band management. The first thing adcoms look for in an applicant is if that person is employable in a post MBA role. In traditional sectors, I'm not seeing it. If your interests lie in restaurant management or hospitality it would be difficult to justify getting an MBA when many restaurant managers don't even have a college degree.
This is not to say that your work experience thus far isn't good. However, I would recommend getting a couple of years of full-time work experience before applying. You can likely speak to your undergrad work experience in an essay (especially the optional essay since you'll need it to explain your GPA) and in the application in the section for undergrad employment and activities.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
At your age you have suffered much and achieved much. However you would be competing with 27-28 years old with 5 years of work experience in Fortune 500 firms. You can try Masters in Management from Duke and some of the other programs. Its not that you can't get into the Top B Schools, just that chances are less than if you had 2-3 years of work experience.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Send PM
mooze wrote:
A few points:

1. APPLY THROUGH THE CONSORTIUM,...look it up, it will be the best decision you make.

2. Any work would be valuable as long as you demonstrated leadership and the adcoms feel that you have experiences worth sharing with your classmates.

3. Don't emphasize the tough upbringing too much,..it will certainly provide uniqueness to your application and speak to your character and resilience, but use it smartly. Make sure to concentrate on your goals and the specific programs you're applying too.

I think that's a flippant assertion to make. You went to Admitted Students Weekend, I'm sure. How many people were coming from campus dining or residential hall backgrounds? All work experience is NOT created equal in MBA application land (regardless of leadership) and I think it's a disservice to tell someone otherwise. If the OP is aiming for 3rd tier schools then maybe the experience as is will fly, but I doubt this would be competitive at even a top 30 school. My recommendation is to work for 2-3 years and then think about applying. Once the OP does that then the advice above is relevant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
mooze wrote:
A few points:

I think that's a flippant assertion to make. You went to Admitted Students Weekend, I'm sure. How many people were coming from campus dining or residential hall backgrounds? All work experience is NOT created equal in MBA application land (regardless of leadership) and I think it's a disservice to tell someone otherwise. If the OP is aiming for 3rd tier schools then maybe the experience as is will fly, but I doubt this would be competitive at even a top 30 school. My recommendation is to work for 2-3 years and then think about applying. Once the OP does that then the advice above is relevant.

I agree that at 22 he's definitely too young and inexperienced to apply,...I honestly missed that part about his age on first reading. Frankly I was annoyed by you calling my statement flippant at first (and responded), but I didn't read the OPs post carefully enough, so I suppose I was flippant.

Success2013,..work for a few years then apply. When you do, consider my 1st and 3rd points above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 2.87
Send PM
Thanks everyone for yor advice. I am still applying because I spoke to a NW rep and she told me that ot'll be competitive, but its definitely possible... they admit students straight from undergrad without any work experience, she stated that a point would be to carefully articulate your post-MBA goals. I don't agree with being "too young" because age is just a number.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Success2013 wrote:
Thanks everyone for yor advice. I am still applying because I spoke to a NW rep and she told me that ot'll be competitive, but its definitely possible... they admit students straight from undergrad without any work experience, she stated that a point would be to carefully articulate your post-MBA goals. I don't agree with being "too young" because age is just a number.

Honestly, think about this carefully...

I'm 100% sure you'll get in somewhere at this point of your life BUT it wont be anywhere that'll be life changing. If your plan is kellogg, and thats the dream then go for it. Why not? But dont apply to low tier schools, dont settle. If the question is, will your work experience count. No. Not the way a post college career does. You'll be looked at as an overly active college student, which is great, and will really help your case for a lower GPA, but will not replace professional experience. If you crush the gmat, and are set on applying this year, pick 1 or 2 top schools and go for it BUT, make sure you're also looking for a job or atleast applying to other types of masters programs. The last thing you'd want is a ding and no backup plan. You will have a MUCH easier road ahead once you prove how dedicated and special you are in a professional setting. You have an amazing story, but right now its still incomplete.

Take the gmat, if you do well, apply to a dream school or 2, if you get a ding move on and try again in a few years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
What's the rush? I think you will get a lot more out of the MBA experience if you work for a couple of years then go back to school. Working for a couple of years before heading to an MBA program will allow you to really figure out what you like and don't like on a professional level. It will give you a much better indication of what career you want to pursue post MBA and what your goals are within that career path. You may think you know now, but ask around see how many people thought they knew at 22 and ended up doing the exact opposite.

Not only that, but you will have a much easier time securing an internship, then full time employment out of the MBA with previous full time work experience. Otherwise, you will be competing with people that have 3-5 years experience in consulting, marketing, finance.

Based on your profile, and if you crush the GMAT, I bet there is a top school out there that will give you a shot. At the same time, there is also a really solid company out there that would hire you and give you great work experience that would be much more valuable (and lucrative) to you at your age than would sitting in a classroom and attending networking events. Business school is not going anywhere.

It sounds like you'll be successful either way though. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Good luck man, but I think that you're not the high achieving college students top b school look for. Thus, some work experience and demonstrating that you can improve and accelerate despite your disadvantages, would transform your application.

BTW, I've never seen or heard of an adcom turn someone down or discourage them from applying. And remember, if you get rejected, it's harder to apply the 2nd time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
I would also add that your GPA is outside the 80% range for all top-10 schools. If you were in an engineering program at MIT, you'd likely get some slack, however that GPA at a random state school will be a negative on your application. If you were to earn all A's your final year and bump your GPA to a 3.2 (not sure if that's possible at this point), you would have a good story to tell about how you really focused your final year once you set your mind on a goal.

As the other posters have stated, get a couple of years experience under your belt at a good organization, buckle down and get that 700+ GMAT, up that GPA .25 or so, and you'll have a shot at a top-10. Right now your chances of admission are very slim as you have too much going against you.
GMAT Club Bot